Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: PA Bear Hunting

(Delaware County)

Default PA Bear Hunting

I've decided to head into Penn's Woods during bear season for the first time this year. I've never hunted bear, simply b/c I do not know anyone else who does. I am a very avid hunter and am normally quite successful. Now this bear hunting I am speaking of is not going to be a large group drive or any of that. I will most likely just sit in the morning and still hunt the afternoon just as if I was deer hunting. I will most likely be alone. Hopefully some other hunters that are out push something to me. Kep in mind I really do not care if it is a successful hunt or not, I just wanted something else to hunt and maybe harvest.

Now my question is. Should I go to my fathers place in Wayne county where I could hunt his 252 acres in Wayne or gamelands in Pike counties which both have good bear populations? Or should I go to my in-laws property in Schuykill county which is 150 acres (I see bear there a lot) that back up to gamelands?

I am leaning towards the property in Schuykill county b/c I will be by myself and if I do come across a large bear I will have access to a side-by-side ATV and a large tractor. The 150 acres has a lot of open trail work also.

I just don't know how you get a big bear out of the woods even after field dressing it, gotta be a bear to drag one. (Pun intended)
    Last edited by Feddog82; July 7th, 2009 at 03:14 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: PA Bear Hunting

I strongly suggest going to the private land that isn't attached to the game lands... a lot of people hit those lands during bear season and will be jumpy.... avoid the public lands during any rifle season if it all possible
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

(Cumberland County)

you ask about getting one out after it has been killed just so you know you are not allowed to field dress a bear like you do a deer it must be weighed in and checked at a gc checking station before you can do anything to it.so yes geting a larg one out of the woods is a pain in the ass the last one we got my brother killed it went 570 and took 7 of us to get it on the truck.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by 338winmag View Post
    you ask about getting one out after it has been killed just so you know you are not allowed to field dress a bear like you do a deer it must be weighed in and checked at a gc checking station before you can do anything to it.so yes geting a larg one out of the woods is a pain in the ass the last one we got my brother killed it went 570 and took 7 of us to get it on the truck.

I have never been bear hunting but I do know you can field dress it before taking it to a check station. Please read: On page 34 of your Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest which is given to you with your license there is a section titled "Tagging, Reporting Requirements" under the "Bear Season & Bag Limits" heading; in RED type it plainly says "Bears should be field dressed before being brought to a check station, as Game Commission personnel do not need to examine reproductive tracts."

Maybe it's a new rule, I wouldn't know. But maybe that will help you out in the future with getting a big bruin out of the thick stuff.

(Cumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Feddog82 View Post
    I have never been bear hunting but I do know you can field dress it before taking it to a check station. Please read: On page 34 of your Pennsylvania Hunting & Trapping Digest which is given to you with your license there is a section titled "Tagging, Reporting Requirements" under the "Bear Season & Bag Limits" heading; in RED type it plainly says "Bears should be field dressed before being brought to a check station, as Game Commission personnel do not need to examine reproductive tracts."

Maybe it's a new rule, I wouldn't know. But maybe that will help you out in the future with getting a big bruin out of the thick stuff.
    ok my bad i must be getting the law hear and the laws where i hunt in Canada confused sorry.

(Wayne County)

I'd go to the one with the meanest, nastiest, swampiest, laurel thicket. Given the fact that after the first morning you're gonna have to pry them out of the scrub unless you get lucky, you will need to hunt the thick places where they feel safe.

We're coming into blueberry season up here. Make a weekend trip up to both sites, take a walk around and look for tracks and scats. That will at least give you a general idea of what's hanging out in the area.

I've never had the fortune/misfortune of dragging out a bear yet. Really don't want a BIG one. What the hell am I gonna do w/ 600 lbs of meat?

I did talk with a gentleman in his mid-late 60s 3 years ago at the check station in Tobyhanna. His bear dressed out at around 560 lbs. When I asked how many people he hunted with he replied, "Just me." Here he used a come-a-long to pull the bear out a little bit at a time. I've since run into several other folks that bear hunt alot that use the same technique using a small block and tackle.

I took a toboggan along with me two years ago when it snowed the night before the season opened. Never did get to use it, though.

PM me if you get a chance to come up to scout the Wayne Co. property. I'd be willing to help you out with the little bit that I know. Likewise, if your dad is looking for someone to help out if he's having a problem w/ bears in the garbage, etc. I've got a couple places that I like to hunt right around my house but I'm always open for exploring.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Lawrence County)

Easiest way I know of, get a canvas tarp and a strong rope... Roll the bear onto the tarp, tie the rope tightly around the shoulders and then the head while it's wrapped in the tarp. The canvas can stand up to the dragging and tying it all together will make sure nothing pops out or slides off, and you won't get dirt in the abdominal cavity... An ATV with a game sled is the best bet though, unless you can drag it to a pick up truck with a couple buddies to help lift it...

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...