Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Delaware County)

Default What about the Robinson XCR?

World Guns XCR Page
    Wikipedia XCR article
    Robinson Armament Co. Home Page

I'm not thrilled that the Remington ACR/Magpul Masada doesn't have or accept modular pistol grips. Besides the fact that I don't like the color, the FN SCAR doesn't feel very solid, or seem like it will hold up. The Sigs are heavier than I'd like. The Robinson SCAR entry seems like a decent rifle, but I really haven't heard hardly anything about it.

Folding stock. Reasonable weight. Reasonable price. Usable quad rail with a continuous top rail. Non-reciprocating charging handle on the left side.

I've been searching for reviews, reports, and torture test results, but have come up with next to nothing. Is this a good idea poorly executed? What's the deal?
    Last edited by Suburban; July 7th, 2009 at 02:07 AM.
    Removed NRA Life Member pic. LaPierre and Chris Cox are ruining NRA.

(Blair County)

Default Re: What about the Robinson XCR?

Suburban,

That is a question I've heard come up a couple of times in the past year.

There are a couple of people on some different boards that seem to have them and think that they are the best thing ever.

Personally, I know a couple of guys who are interested in the design, but can't find anyone who actually owns one to try it out.

I have been led to believe that Robinson's actual production capability is extremely limited, and that's why first hand experience with the XCR is such a limited commodity.
    PREPARE FOR BATTLE

(Centre County)

I have a friend who's son is a Marine and owns one. He is coming up for the weekend with it and we're going to be doing some shooting. He already said that I will be able to shoot it so I'll report about it next week. I do know that it took a while to get it because they aren't into mass production. His reports on it so far has been that he would carry it in combat (except he paid for it so he's not going to ).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Berks County)

"Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

from what i've read on other boards the XCR is a decent rifle but has a couple of minor short comings. somewhat of a hassle to re-assemble because if you're not careful taking the bolt carrier/bolt out the parts will spill out of the receiver. some folks don't like that the folding stock doesn't have a lock to keep it secure in the folded position. robinson arms was a big supporter of mit romney in the primaries dispite romney's anti gun history. another tag on robinson was they refuse to offer any support for their now discontinued m96 rifle.

i've handled a XCR once at a shop in kentucky and while it was OK it wasn't 1600 dollar OK. while it's different and appears to be a reliable firearm from what i've read for that price there are better options available. i'd rather buy a colt ar15, sig 556, STG556 or similar rifle before i coughed up 1600 for the XCR. interesting rifle to have if money's not an object and you want to add something different to the stable.

Talking Re: What about the Robinson XCR?

I love my XCR. It is a great rifle. Short-stroke piston action so it is easy to clean. Gas adjustment with no tools. The folding stock is tight, not wobbly. Accepts AR-15 mags. Uses AR-15 pistol grips. It will mount any 1913 rail accessory you care to add. The rail is a solid piece. Easily converts calibers to 6.8 SPC, 6.5 BR {non-licensed ID of the Grendel} and 7.62X39mm. They are adding 6 X 45mm.

Only two complaints:
    1. Robinson arms is the only source of barrels and bolts. And yes their production capability is limited.
    2. No dust cover over the ejection port.

They go quickly. I got mine through gunbroker. If you want one, you will probably have to go on reputation alone.

(Bucks County)

there's a guy that routinely posts on www.sturmgewehr.com selling the XCR. seems his prices range from about 1400 and up.

(Delaware County)

They are exotic and tempting, but the thought of ending up with a $1500 wall hanger, if something breaks down the line, turns me off.

I guess if I want a folding stock, I'll go with an AK-47 or 74, Olympic OA-9X upper, or a Para/XM upper.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Suburban View Post
    They are exotic and tempting, but the thought of ending up with a $1500 wall hanger, if something breaks down the line, turns me off.

I guess if I want a folding stock, I'll go with an AK-47 or 74, Olympic OA-9X upper, or a Para/XM upper.
    What concerns do you have about something breaking down the line?

IF something does break, Robinson Armament can overnight you any part that you need. You can also buy any and all spare parts from the get go (including barrel and bolt, you can also purchase stripped lowers, lpk's, stocks, uppers (including a new PDW that should be available soon), a multitude of different barrels), etc. The full parts inventory is available.

I'm hovering right at the 10,000round mark (and have been here for a while) and have had zero stoppages or failures of any kind.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by itstock View Post
    What concerns do you have about something breaking down the line?

IF something does break, Robinson Armament can overnight you any part that you need. You can also buy any and all spare parts from the get go (including barrel and bolt, you can also purchase stripped lowers, lpk's, stocks, uppers (including a new PDW that should be available soon), a multitude of different barrels), etc. The full parts inventory is available.

I'm hovering right at the 10,000round mark (and have been here for a while) and have had zero stoppages or failures of any kind.
    What if another AWB is passed, and Robinson folds?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast