Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default cutting down shotgun barrels

i have a remington 1100 16 gauge. i do'nt hunt anymore so iwas thinking of turning it into a home defense gun. it now has a 28" barrel. can i LEGALLY cut it down to 18 or 20? maybe add a magazine extension. or, now that i'm seeing this idea on the screen, rather than in my head, buy one of the mossbergs & sell the 1100 since i do'nt use it. shame to do that to a nice gun. semi autos for home defense make sense anyway? all of a sudden it looks like a bad idea. 16 buck is harder to find than 12.
    any thoughts
    thanks, pete

Default Re: cutting down shotgun barrels

You could legally cut you barrel down, but per NFA34, the barrel can't be shorter than 18" (from the end of reciever to muzzle) and the OAL of the entire shotgun can't be shorter than 26", prior to BATFE approval. IMO, because of 12 gauge ammo being much more readily available (especially buckshot loads) you would be better off getting a Mossberg 590 or 500, or Remington 870 or whatever brand you prefer. I don't believe mag extensions are made for any 16 gauge, but I could be wrong.

(Perry County)

Funny you should mention that. I currently have a Winchester 1300. Years of youth and abuse have made me cringe whenever I pull a choke tube out of the barrel and see the corrosion on the threads. I'm starting to think this may not be safe (either that or it's my brain rationalizing the need to do this). So, I'm purchasing a new barrel for hunting, a 26" gloss barrel threaded for Win-Choke (ah yes, I've since learned the joys of choke tube grease) and when I go to a friends parents house for the weekend in August, I'm going to have the original one cut down to 20" or so. My friends dad is a machinist, he'll cut it with the bandsaw and then smooth the crown. Add a set of fiber-optic rifle sights to the rib and presto! a new home defense barrel.
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Allegheny County)

thanks for replying guys,
    it's like i said in my post the more i thought of it it does'nt make sense. your right Lone Wolf, the extensions tubes i see don't mention 16 gauge. your right also about 16 buck. or even shells for the 16. i can get them but surely not as easily as 12. i've been looking at the Mossbergs and that's what i'll go with. looks like you can really go nuts with all the accessories. i'll get the breech buster(?) but i don't think i need a bayonet. i saw a guy on you tube stick a pumpkin with it and fired. made one hell of a mess for sure. i would'nt hope i ever got that close, hope nothing ever happens really, but i'll leave the 1100 alone. it's really a beautiful gun.
    thanks for setting me straight, pete
    ps Lone Wolf, BAFTE. buerau of alcohol firearms and tabbocco? you mean i'd have to call those guys and notify them of this? that's sorta what i meant by LEGALY cutting it. i knew about the length limitations, i was'nt sure if i could do any cutting. i don't want any illegal stuff laying around and get arressted or whatever for something i did'nt know about.
    thanks again

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by vagn52 View Post
    ps Lone Wolf, BAFTE. buerau of alcohol firearms and tabbocco? you mean i'd have to call those guys and notify them of this? that's sorta what i meant by LEGALY cutting it. i knew about the length limitations, i was'nt sure if i could do any cutting. i don't want any illegal stuff laying around and get arressted or whatever for something i did'nt know about.
    thanks again
    Lone Wolf said you can legally cut it down as long as the barrel is no shorter than 18" from the bolt face to the muzzle (I cut mine 18.5" JIC) and the OAL of the gun is no shorter than 26".
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

(Allegheny County)

Gunny1969,
    thanks for the additional clarification. like i said i'll leave the 1100 alone altogether. i looked at a Mossberg cruiser 500 today that was $470 in a big box sport shop. i'm seeing the 500 tactical cruiser pistol grip with the breacher for $350-$380 6 rounds. that's the one i'll buy. thanks agin for your replies and patience. i'll next be posting about handguns for a first timeowner.
    one strange thing. last week, fourth of july a neighbor up my road, they have a right of way across my land, came down to my house with a pristine .22 slug that had hit his aluminum siding and landed on his porch. he was somewhat accsatory with his questions. i tried to expain the round came from some distance away, not 600 feet from my house, but he did'nt belive me as 2 police cars came up the road to his house. they stayed about 10 minutes never stopping here. i saw him the next day and asked if the cops made him feel any better, telling him that if i did shoot that round, it would be like a hole in one from the moon. i was ready for the cops to come here which they did'nt. i guess i would have shown them what guns i have (don't know if i had to) but that's the reason about not wanting questionable/boarder line weapons laying around. it's a rural area we live in and he's from a small close house to house town. i think he wanted a full blown, picture taking investigation, gsr tests on my hands and clothes, etc. he'll belive til he dies that i fired that round.
    thanks again, pete

(Perry County)

Ah, a quote from my convicts seems to fit the bill here.

"That some nut ass shit yo!"
    It's all fun and games, til someone shoots your bobber!

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny1969 View Post
    Lone Wolf said you can legally cut it down as long as the barrel is no shorter than 18" from the bolt face to the muzzle (I cut mine 18.5" JIC) and the OAL of the gun is no shorter than 26".
    Correct answer. ~ The End

For a shotty to be a legal title-1 (no paperwork, no NFA registry/tax) firearm it must have a barrel length of 18" (bolt face, closed, to end of barrel) AND 26" overall length of the firearm.
    If you want it shorter you can complete the ATF Form-1 and submit it with your $200 tax to register your firearm as a "Short barreled shotgun" on the NFA registry and once approved, cut shorter to your liking.

Extension tubes are unregulated in Pa.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Luzerne County)

Gunny1969,
    thanks for the additional clarification. like i said i'll leave the 1100 alone altogether. i looked at a Mossberg cruiser 500 today that was $470 in a big box sport shop. i'm seeing the 500 tactical cruiser pistol grip with the breacher for $350-$380 6 rounds. that's the one i'll buy. thanks agin for your replies and patience. i'll next be posting about handguns for a first timeowner.
    one strange thing. last week, fourth of july a neighbor up my road, they have a right of way across my land, came down to my house with a pristine .22 slug that had hit his aluminum siding and landed on his porch. he was somewhat accsatory with his questions. i tried to expain the round came from some distance away, not 600 feet from my house, but he did'nt belive me as 2 police cars came up the road to his house. they stayed about 10 minutes never stopping here. i saw him the next day and asked if the cops made him feel any better, telling him that if i did shoot that round, it would be like a hole in one from the moon. i was ready for the cops to come here which they did'nt. i guess i would have shown them what guns i have (don't know if i had to) but that's the reason about not wanting questionable/boarder line weapons laying around. it's a rural area we live in and he's from a small close house to house town. i think he wanted a full blown, picture taking investigation, gsr tests on my hands and clothes, etc. he'll belive til he dies that i fired that round.
    thanks again, pete

Whenever YOU are under investigation.......

http://www.pisnnapalm.com/031408_DontTalktoPolice.wmv

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

i have a remington 1100 16 gauge. i do'nt hunt anymore so iwas thinking of turning it into a home defense gun. it now has a 28" barrel. can i LEGALLY cut it down to 18 or 20? maybe add a magazine extension. or, now that i'm seeing this idea on the screen, rather than in my head, buy one of the mossbergs & sell the 1100 since i do'nt use it. shame to do that to a nice gun. semi autos for home defense make sense anyway? all of a sudden it looks like a bad idea. 16 buck is harder to find than 12.
    any thoughts
    thanks, pete
    I'd do the same and not cut the Remington down. You can get a Maverick (a Mossberg) 8+1 18" barrel that comes with a pistol grip and the regular stock for just over $200. It's a good tactical looking shotgun. The mag tube and barrel are the same length.

ETA: correction/typo on bbl length
    Last edited by Wildturk; July 12th, 2009 at 09:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast