Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: cutting down shotgun barrels

Quote Originally Posted by Wildturk View Post
    I'd do the same and not cut the Remington down. You can get a Maverick (a Mossberg) 8+1 16" barrel that comes with a pistol grip and the regular stock for just over $200. It's a good tactical looking shotgun. The mag tube and barrel are the same length.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...hotguns014.jpg
    Ummmm, 16" is a NFA item............

(Allegheny County)

Sorry, typo. It's 18" So no, it's not NFA.
    Last edited by Wildturk; July 12th, 2009 at 09:20 PM.

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by Wildturk View Post
    No, it's not.
    Sorry, you are 100% and undeniably incorrect.

A shotgun w/ 16" barrel is NFA.

ref: 26 U.S.C. § 5861 (also known as the National Firearms Act of 1934)

18" from breachface to muzzle and 26" over-all length in order to be legal title-1 firearm.
    ref: 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(1)&(2)

That said, your pic appears to be an 18" barrel. (which is legal title-1 firearm) You apparently do not know what you have there.

danbus wrote: ...Like I said before, I open carry because you don't, I fight for all my rights because
    you won't, I will not sit with my thumb up my bum and complain, because you will.
    Remember Meleanie

(Allegheny County)

thanks again for all the replies, i need um
    i will let the rem alone and will go for one of the mossbergs there's more than i thought out there and way less the the one i looked at dunhams or dicks. about the guy bringing down the .22 round that hit his house, today in my woods i found 20 bottle rockets on the ground, who knows how many are hung up in the trees. these things are 2 feet long, with a load 1 inch round x 7 inches round. it has'nt rained here for a week or so a some ground was burned. no fire, but that's not the point. there was a 2 acre fire down the road that night. he's just a dumb ass. these rockets are illegal to fire around here, PENNSYLVANIA, but i let it slide. even though it burned my truck hood one year. an old beater work truck, so no big deal. we just rescued a beagle with a unbeliveable, cruel life. she was my biggest concern. afraid of everything, but making progress. it'll work out. life goes on.
    i have a RWS 48 airgun for rabbits. maybe some dead rabbits should end up in his yard. then again, the spca will call me up for shooting a rabbit tangled in my garden fence. things were better 'til he moved here. although he's probably being badgered by his wife, mother-in-law, father-in-law who paid for the house to "do something damnit". i would'nt live under those conditions for anything
    thanks, pete
    summer rabbits are full of ticks around here. worms too

(Allegheny County)

there's a Bob Dylan song Farewell Angelina..."See the cross eyed parrots perched in the sun, shooting tin cans with a sawed off shotgun" that fits here
    pete
    i'm going to see him tomorrow night

Quote Originally Posted by vagn52 View Post
    thanks again for all the replies, i need um
    i will let the rem alone and will go for one of the mossbergs there's more than i thought out there and way less the the one i looked at dunhams or dicks. about the guy bringing down the .22 round that hit his house, today in my woods i found 20 bottle rockets on the ground, who knows how many are hung up in the trees. these things are 2 feet long, with a load 1 inch round x 7 inches round. it has'nt rained here for a week or so a some ground was burned. no fire, but that's not the point. there was a 2 acre fire down the road that night. he's just a dumb ass. these rockets are illegal to fire around here, PENNSYLVANIA, but i let it slide. even though it burned my truck hood one year. an old beater work truck, so no big deal. we just rescued a beagle with a unbeliveable, cruel life. she was my biggest concern. afraid of everything, but making progress. it'll work out. life goes on.
    i have a RWS 48 airgun for rabbits. maybe some dead rabbits should end up in his yard. then again, the spca will call me up for shooting a rabbit tangled in my garden fence. things were better 'til he moved here. although he's probably being badgered by his wife, mother-in-law, father-in-law who paid for the house to "do something damnit". i would'nt live under those conditions for anything
    thanks, pete
    summer rabbits are full of ticks around here. worms too
    And the game commission will fine you for using an Illegal weapon to take game, and if you don't have a hunting licence, poaching.......

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa. Patriot View Post
    Sorry, you are 100% and undeniably incorrect.

A shotgun w/ 16" barrel is NFA.

ref: 26 U.S.C. § 5861 (also known as the National Firearms Act of 1934)

18" from breachface to muzzle and 26" over-all length in order to be legal title-1 firearm.
    ref: 26 U.S.C. § 5845(a)(1)&(2)

That said, your pic appears to be an 18" barrel. (which is legal title-1 firearm) You apparently do not know what you have there.
    If you take the time to look again.... I edited the post, 16" was a typo, that was corrected.

(Northumberland County)

instead of sawing off the barrel why not go and buy a shorter barrel ? then you have one barrel for home defense and one barrel for waterfowl hunting i had a maverick it came with a mod choke on the 28" barrel they are great for 30 yards . u can get a shorter barrel to screw on for cheap.

(Allegheny County)

TXDMERc73 thanks for replying,
    then i'm back to finding 16 loads plus i got away from hunting. might get back to it, another reason to leave the 1100 be.
    fingers80002, yeah i know about shooting rabbits out of season even on my own land. they "belong to the state, might as well shoot a person" was what a gun dealer told me when i went to buy a .22 rifle. an OLD one. like 1917. he said he'd sell me a pistol to wear while riding the tractor. somehow my beagle was mentioned and he said he'd shoot the beagle if it can't chase off rabbits.
    Wildturk, i'm not follwing you about the typo thing. you guys got me straight about the limitations/laws.
    that's the reason i bought the .20 cal airgun. for the rabbits. ther's just a flipping hundred around my place. i did'nt know at the time there is a season on your own land. i'll box trap them and turn them loose, but i think it's illegal, i don't remember now, to transport them without some kind of liscense. fishing seems less complicated.
    thanks again for helping

As always you guys have hit the facts dead on. The only thing I might throw in is that if you find yourself holding the hacksaw it never hurts to cut .5" longer since its better to be safe than sorry and you can always cut a little more off but you cant add as easily.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast