Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Smile Can you help identify this Smith & Wesson?

Hi. I just joined hoping someone could help me. Forgive me for immediately asking questions.

I just received a Smith & Wesson that belonged to my parents. They received it in 1954 from an elderly neighbor who said it was his WWI service revolver.

It is a hand ejector, round butt, black rubber grip. The last patent date was September 1908. Serial # is six-digits, beginning with 2. I don't see anything to identify it as a U.S. military weapon. On the barrel, it has markings -- I think they read R 32 (could be 38) Long OTG (I think it should be CTG, but it sure looks like an O) and there seems to be another character after the G -- perhaps a 2. Holds six cartridges.

I plan to take it to a local shop to learn how to clean it and care for it. Is it safe (or smart) to shoot a gun of this age? Can you even get the appropriate cartridges?

Thanks. I appreciate your help.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: Can you help identify this Smith & Wesson?

Quote Originally Posted by Chanticleer View Post
    Hi. I just joined hoping someone could help me. Forgive me for immediately asking questions.

I just received a Smith & Wesson that belonged to my parents. They received it in 1954 from an elderly neighbor who said it was his WWI service revolver.

It is a hand ejector, round butt, black rubber grip. The last patent date was September 1908. Serial # is six-digits, beginning with 2. I don't see anything to identify it as a U.S. military weapon. On the barrel, it has markings -- I think they read R 32 (could be 38) Long OTG (I think it should be CTG, but it sure looks like an O) and there seems to be another character after the G -- perhaps a 2. Holds six cartridges.

I plan to take it to a local shop to learn how to clean it and care for it. Is it safe (or smart) to shoot a gun of this age? Can you even get the appropriate cartridges?

I think I'd start with the S&W board, they have a LOT of very knowledgeable S&W historians there (that is not to say that this board does NOT, simply that the interest there is more "S&W" focused, it seems).

http://www.smith-wessonforum.com/

Good luck, it sounds like an interesting gun.

Flash

Thanks, Flash. I will try there.

(Montgomery County)

It would also help if you could post some pictures of it

Good luck with your search.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Quote Originally Posted by Chanticleer View Post

I have a S&W lemon squeezer in 38 S&W made around the turn of the twentieth century. I still shoot it.

Better safe than sorry. Have it cheked by a gunsmith before you fire it.

As stated post some pictures. I have SEVERAL old Smiths and Colts from the early 1900's and earlier and most are .38's but the power loads back then arent near as stiff as they are today. Not only that but some cartridges have changed but have retained the same name. I can not think of any off the top of my head but I know it happens and if you load a newer cartridge in an older gun your gonna get a KABOOM with possibly hand damage.

Condition is a major factor too, if it's rough and not worth much I would tell you to shoot it. To tell you the truth I do not shoot my old guns. They're in good condition and I do not want to depreciate the value. I figure I invested that much money in them and I want them to stay the same and be heirlooms and such and if I ever need money I can sell a few and make profits.

Just one guys perspective and you can do whatever you want. Some guys philosophy is guns are meant to be shot and while I agree I disagree when theyre worth thousands and thousands of dollars.
    Reputation is what I strive for.

(Centre County)

Sounds like it is a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 (.32 Hand Ejector, 2nd Model, 5th Change). Shoots the .32 S&W Long centerfire cartridge (CTG). It was built on the round butt I frame with 5 screws. Could be a 3 1/4, 4 1/4, or 6" barrel. A small S&W trademark is found on the left side of the frame, with a few having the trademark on the sideplate. The serial number range was 102501-263000 with about 160,499 manufactured circa 1910-1917. Depending on the condition it could be worth anywhere from $90 to $700.

Have a gunsmith look at it to determine if it is in good enough condition to fire, if yes, IIRC you can still find .32 S&W Longs.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(York County)

could be any one of a dozen guns from a '96 model US issue to a pre-model 10 5th change. likely a 38 long colt cartridge, which cylinders will not quite chamber a 38 spcl if they have forcing cones. some do not, and will.