Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Through the Scope pictures

I took some through the scope pictures quite a while back and they didn't get noticed all that much. I think they're really fun and interesting. They're also very difficult to take. It's not really a good way to compare optical quality, just because you're also depending on the camera that you took the photo with, and it's optical quality of lense. Either way, they're fun, especially when you can get some with animals in them, so I figured this might be a neat thread. These were taken with a "point and shoot" camera, and they're not very good, but I figured I'd get it started and get some people out having fun. Take some at whatever range you can, or of whatever animal you're fixing to light up. I would advise that you do this with an unloaded firearm, ESPECIALLY if you are doing it near your place of living. I would also advise that you NOT take photos of people, because you're pointing a rifle at a target that I would hope you don't intend to destroy.

These were all taken through my Millett LRS, THROUGH a tinted front home door WITH the sunshade on, in low light conditions (overcast and late).

This is taken of a car that is roughly 230-240 yards away at 12.5x

Same car at 230-240 yards away at 12.5x with flash (on accident)

For those wondering about what it's like to shoot with 10x at 1,000 yards, this might put things in perspective for you. This is a standard door 7ft, at 12.5x, at roughly 1,300 yards. So if you had a full size man target, it would be smaller than the door.

This is the same door at 25x, it's roughly 1,300 yards away.

Keepin mind that the scope looks quite a bit better than this with your eyes. It's difficult to take photos with limited light in a scope, and then that being passed on through another set of lenses that stops the light down more. It's hard to get the contrast right as well, and sometimes the images are washed out, sometimes they're just too dark. It can be difficult to keep everything level. It can also be difficult to get the reticle and the object in focus, the camera usually wants to focus on one or the other. If you get the reticle in focus for your eye, and then try to take the photo, it doesn't usually work, you gotta tweak it. See what ya'll can do.

Default Re: Through the Scope pictures

THATS MY CAR!!!
    What ever I did to you I am sorry! I will send you a fruit cake for christmas!
    Buddy...
    ΑΣΦ

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    THATS MY CAR!!!
    Buddy...
    lmao!...too funny.

(Monroe County)

those pics are great, i always wondered how close things looked through a long distance scope. thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam M Geer View Post
    THATS MY CAR!!!
    Buddy...
    LOL, is that your car? Hmmmm, will it have a little "extra kick" added to it? That's the kind of fruit cake I like, otherwise I usually pass. I'm a fan of cheeses and wines as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CHEMICAL View Post
    those pics are great, i always wondered how close things looked through a long distance scope. thanks!
    They look MUCH more clear through the scope, but that's kind of something to give you a reference of how large they appear.Thank you for the compliments, and hopefully with a little time and practice, some of us can learn the fine art of through the scope pictures, and really turn some good ones out.

(York County)

This thread has *potential*.

Nice idea!

After a quick run through a cheapie, low-powered image post-processing program (Photoshop Elements 2.0) and tweaking a couple sliders to attempt to enhance sharpness and contrast, I came up with this...

Before...

After...

It helped a little. This is probably closer to what you see with your eye.

ETA: > rep button broke , so I owe you one. Cool thread, neat idea.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; July 3rd, 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

Thank you Curmudgeon, I appreciate it. I actually have CS3, but just didn't bother to mess with it. I kind of wanted people to draw their own conclusions. You are correct though, the image that you have up is much closer to what the picture looks like through the scope. All the detail is in fine sharp resolution, with crisp differentiation between objects. Little better contrast, and much more gradients in the shadows, but very good job. I'll have to mess with the next set that I take and see what I can do. Thank you sir. I hoped this might be something fun for people to do. I got rep coming to you for taking the time to touch it up. Thanks buddy.

(Lebanon County)

ok.
    i'll play, but i don't use glass.
    front end loader about 200ish yards.
    this looked better, but for the shot i'd need to use the notch on top of the peep. you can just see alittle light peeking through it.
    Last edited by brian; September 26th, 2012 at 05:25 PM.
    it's only metal, we can out think it....

(Bucks County)

did you by chance happen to write a review regarding long range tac scopes on snipercentral? i coulda sworn those are same pics, maybe not. well very nice pics, either way.

Quote Originally Posted by ca2pa View Post
    did you by chance happen to write a review regarding long range tac scopes on snipercentral? i coulda sworn those are same pics, maybe not. well very nice pics, either way.
    No, Mel usually writes the reviews first hand for sniper central. To my knowledge he hasn't written anything about the Millett LRS. Although I did a bit of talk about the Millett LRS on this forum. You might search for Millett LRS on this forum and find what you were thinking of. Those are my photos, I can provide the raws if you're curious. Although if Mel did use my photos, I would be a bit embarassed, lol. Thank you for the compliments, although I wasn't all that impressed with my photos. There will be much better ones to come in the future.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast