Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Can't rack that slide

So I (think I) got my wife to the point where she really accepts that she needs to get into handling, shooting and eventually carrying a gun.

I know she's a habit creature, so I know once she would carry one by accident, she would never leave the house without one after that.

Anyhow, here's the problem. We've been playing around with snap caps for a while now and it simply isn't getting any better. She just can't rack the slide of my Walther PPS 9mm. Bummer! She has a hard time racking it, needs several attempts to actually lock the slide open without an empty mag in it (pushing the slide lock up while racking) and all of that naturally makes her feel unsafe with this gun. I can't blame her. If I would perform with this gun like she does, I'd be scared of it too.

Last thing she said was "you know why I ask you to open jars for me?"

My idea at this point is to simply forget semi's, go to the dealer/range and leave it to a professional to have her play around with a few different guns. What else can I do?

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: Can't rack that slide

Try different semi. Is she pushing with one hand while pulling with the other?
    troll Free. It's all in your mind.

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    My idea at this point is to simply forget semi's, go to the dealer/range and leave it to a professional to have her play around with a few different guns. What else can I do?
    Try one more thing: Have her push against the backstrap with her strong hand while pulling back on the slide with her off-hand. If that doesn't work, you hit the nail on the head -- try other guns. Hell, see if your gun buddies will meet you at the range so she can try out a bunch of different guns and see what she's most comfortable with. This will also let her feel what different guns are like after they're well broken in so she knows what they'll be like down the road. Out of the box feel almost isn't relevant -- almost.

I see you live in Willow Grove. If she wants to try a G19 and a G26, I'll be happy to meet you guys at a local range so she can try them out. Even if you decide not to take me up on that (no harm, no foul!), give Classic Pistol a try. They rent all kinds of pistols, and the staff there treat women and new shooters respectfully. Their selection is fantastic, too, so she'll have lots of choices to look at!

Good luck!
    Last edited by FNG19; July 3rd, 2009 at 12:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by FNG19 View Post
    I see you live in Willow Grove. If she wants to try a G19 and a G26, I'll be happy to meet you guys at a local range so she can try them out. Even if you decide not to take me up on that (no harm, no foul!), give Classic Pistol a try.
    I have a membership at CP, I'll meet you there any time

A friend from work is shooting there with his daughter too. She's doing a Makarov and I just have a hard time believing my wife would fall short of that. Maybe it's just that this PPS isn't completely broken in yet and only has 700 rounds through it. Maybe it's just that this isn't the right gun.

Whatever ... I'd like to try a Glock myself ... if you don't mind.

Will send PM tomorrow.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Pike County)

Different autos have different "feels" for how much effort it takes to pull back the slide. My Mother has problems with this also.
    For her, the answer was a .38 snub revolver, and then she stoll my Taurus PT-22, which has a tip up barrel for loading the first round.
    Browning had a .380 with the tip up barrel, not sure if it's still in production.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by gf45acp View Post
    Different autos have different "feels" for how much effort it takes to pull back the slide. My Mother has problems with this also.
    For her, the answer was a .38 snub revolver, and then she stoll my Taurus PT-22, which has a tip up barrel for loading the first round.
    Browning had a .380 with the tip up barrel, not sure if it's still in production.
    so does the beretta tomcat 3032. or.....i hate to sound like a broken record here, but HK, HK, HK!..these guns are loose like ak-47's. i always found them so easy to rack.just my input.
    Last edited by CHEMICAL; July 3rd, 2009 at 01:41 AM.

I have a membership at CP, I'll meet you there any time
    Hello, fellow member! We've probably run into each other there at some point. I guess my "PAFOA" neon sign wasn't working that day. You're definitely welcome to try out my Glocks. I love 'em and am glad I bought them, but I also know there are plenty of other fine firearms out there.

I'll look forward to your PM! I'm sure we can set something up.

So I (think I) got my wife to the point where she really accepts that she needs to get into handling, shooting and eventually carrying a gun.

I know she's a habit creature, so I know once she would carry one by accident, she would never leave the house without one after that.

Anyhow, here's the problem. We've been playing around with snap caps for a while now and it simply isn't getting any better. She just can't rack the slide of my Walther PPS 9mm. Bummer! She has a hard time racking it, needs several attempts to actually lock the slide open without an empty mag in it (pushing the slide lock up while racking) and all of that naturally makes her feel unsafe with this gun. I can't blame her. If I would perform with this gun like she does, I'd be scared of it too.

Last thing she said was "you know why I ask you to open jars for me?"

Jan
    I can't either. I had a Colt 45 and got rid of it.

I agree with the previous post . . . . have her try out a snub nose .38 special. A revolver is the easiest handgun to use. Maybe a S&W with out the hammer. You just pull it out and start pulling the trigger.

ken

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

For what it is worth. I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and my right hand was operated on twice. I am 62 and don't have the strength one would think I have.

My first semi pistol that I owned was purchased about 1 year ago and it was a Ruger SR9. (I had owned revolvers previously) I was able to rack the slide barely. When I sold it the person just slid it back like there was no strength required. I purchased a Glock 19 & 26. I can operate them with little to no difficulty.

It is not all in the way you hold the pistol. Some are just more difficult. (A revover is so much easier but with less rounds available, but then how many are we going to need in a self defense situation.)

My wife prefers the S&W Model 60 with 38's. She purchased a Gelco handbag to carry. She hasn't carried at this point but she is ready.
    Last edited by doxie3; July 3rd, 2009 at 09:18 AM.

(Allegheny County)

Most of the smaller semi's can be very difficult for a woman to rack. I've been down this road with my wife. She was able to rack most of them if she cocked the hammer first. I wasn't happy about that option. I finally found her a semi that was smaller than a full size that she could operate successfully, a G26. I didn't go down the 2" revolver road for her because of the recoil, side blast, and trigger manipulation.
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast