Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default What Should I Buy First SA XD Or 38 Snub

I recently got my LTCF and did not purchase a firearm yet. I would like opinions on choice of caliber to go to the range with and also to carry when I feel comfortable enough to do so after I get some range time in.
    Last edited by TonyFromBucksCo; June 13th, 2012 at 01:25 PM.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: What Should I Buy First SA XD Or 38 Snub

Quote Originally Posted by TonyFromBucksCo View Post
    I recently got my LTCF and did not purchase a firearm yet. I would like opinions on choice of caliber to go to the range with and also to carry when I feel comfortable enough to do so after I get some range time in.
    Only half of my last post went through .... here is the rest.
    Although I feel I will eventually buy both firearms I just need advice as to which would be A better first choice to make me a better overall shooter. If I go with Springfield I think I'm leaning towards XD 40 Compact or the Sub, as far as a 38 Snub a maybe S&W 637... I'm a large guy 6'2" usually hanging in around 260lbs. open to your opinions

Tony
    Last edited by TonyFromBucksCo; June 13th, 2012 at 01:29 PM.

I would recommend the XD over a snub nose revolver. If you just got your permit, I'm going to assume that you are fairly new to handgun and defensive handgun shooting. In that case, the XD will most certainly be a better option because its accuracyand capacity will most likely favor a newer shooter. BUUUTTTT, don't limit yourself to those two options. I have an XD .40 4" service model, which I recommend and love, but I know its not for everyone. limiting yourself to a .38 revolver may not be your best option, getting a revolver in .357 allows you to use both rounds...why limit yourself to just the .38? Many people have repeated advice to myself and others multiple times: Go to a shop where you can rent or shoot handguns before you buy, try different guns/calibers, then make your decision based on what fits you and your needs best.
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

(Tioga County)

To be honest, my latest carry piece is an XD45 service. before that I carried a 1911. I carried a 1911 in the service off and on for 20 years. the 1911 was a natural choice for me. Over and over I tell people to go to a big gun store and fondle as many different pistols as possible. Pick it up and point it ( in a safe direction of course). Something out there will just feel right. For self defence I would not suggest anything smaller than a 9mm. And BTW I don't think a guy your size will find the recoil of the 45 excessive, it's often overstated. Go to a range and rent and fire as many different calibers as possible. OK leave out the big magnums and such. between the two visits you should be able to determine what works for you. another hint, you do NOT want a .25. you would be better of with a 22 rimfire.

(Allegheny County)

I'd go XD preferably in 45

and also as to ccwing, I went around with mine before I ever got a chance to use it at a range to break it in. Why? The first rule of a gunfight. Have a gun.

(Chester County)

I've got the full size "service" XD in 9mm... nice tool. Low recoil, lots of ammo.

It had been a while since I shot a "wheelgun" so I rented a .357 snubnose, hammerless pistol last time I was at the range. I only shot .38... and the recoil was still really heavy - more so than with any semi-automatic... I shot 25 rounds off... I couldn't comfortably shoot the handgun anymore.

If you want to learn how to shoot - get an XD... they are good firearms, and you will be able to control the firearm better when practicing.

I'm about your size... and I can conceal my 4" XD rather well, in most clothes... a drastically smaller "pocket gun" in 380 or .357 is probably going to be my next gun, though.

(York County)

I have the XD .40 service model (4" barrel) and highly recommend it. If you had the 2 choices you listed I'd say go with the XD for the bigger capacity and ease of use.

You may want to consider, however, a SA/DA semi-auto with a manual safety, a decocker, and a hammer. These safety features seem overkill to some... maybe even silly, but to a new handgun owner they are not a bad idea.

Keep in mind whichever one you go with, it will most likely not be your last. If it is, you will certainly be among a small percentage.

I love my XD, but I'm not so sure it's the best "starter" gun. I think the Bersa Thunder .380 is one of the best deals out there for someone new to concealed carry. I have one of those too but there are soooo many choices out there. Like suggested earlier try as many as you can before buying one. You may be surprised to see what you actually end up being comfortable with.

Oh, and by the way... welcome to personal liberty!
    Last edited by TwistedCopper; May 27th, 2007 at 08:20 PM.

(Erie County)

I have an XD 45 for daily carry and love it.

Definately get an XD before a stub nose for carry. Recoil will be much higher on a revolver such as that. not the best toy for a new carrier

As TonyF would say, "get some training" By how you ask that question it doesn't seem you are very familiar with pistols and would at vise you at a minimum to do alot of practicing before you decide to carry your gun. (If i am off on that I apologize.)

(Bucks County)

Smile Re: What Should I Buy First SA XD Or 38 Snub

Thank you for taking the time to reply All of your input is kindly appreciated. from your replies it sounds like the SA XD is the way to go... although I will take the advice of renting at the range to try some different pistols before making a final decision.

(Schuylkill County)

go with the XD in any caliber for the money you cant beat them and they are very good firearms.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast