Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Washington County)

Default Carry without a holster?

Hello all.
    Been a member for a while but just lurked and gleaned information from the site. Now I have a question regarding carrying in a vehicle.
    A guy I work with and myself are both serious firearms enthusiasts and both carry everyday, although we have to leave our firearms in our cars while we're in the office. We got into a discussion about carrying while in a vehicle to which I stated that I usually remove my IWB holster and slide my weapon into the seat beside me for easier access. He said that it's not a good idea to do this because if an LEO were to find this out for whatever reason I would be cited for having an "unholstered" weapon. Is this true? I looked for this "law" and searched this site but found nothing. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Longhunter1757

(Mercer County)

Default Re: Carry without a holster?

Your friend is wrong. You can lay it on the seat next to you if you want. Heck, you could duct tape it to the gear shift if that's the way you want to roll.

Quote Originally Posted by longhunter1757 View Post
    Hello all.
    Been a member for a while but just lurked and gleaned information from the site. Now I have a question regarding carrying in a vehicle.
    A guy I work with and myself are both serious firearms enthusiasts and both carry everyday, although we have to leave our firearms in our cars while we're in the office. We got into a discussion about carrying while in a vehicle to which I stated that I usually remove my IWB holster and slide my weapon into the seat beside me for easier access. He said that it's not a good idea to do this because if an LEO were to find this out for whatever reason I would be cited for having an "unholstered" weapon. Is this true? I looked for this "law" and searched this site but found nothing. If anyone can shed any light on this I'd appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Longhunter1757
    Well, legally there's no problem with it unholstered. But from a safety standpoint I would not do this.

(Northampton County)

Hello all.
    I looked for this "law" and searched this site but found nothing.
    That's just it...there's no law on it, and therefore you can't be 'charged' with anything.

Now granted it's not a good idea to leave it just laying on the seat or unholstered while driving, but there is no law prohibiting it. And having it in a holster (even IWB) between the seat works.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(Cambria County)

If I'm driving any distance. I often take my pistol out of my holster and lay it on the seat next to me. In fact, I was just stopped by an LEO the other week. I had my KAHR laying on the seat next to me. I just kept my hands on the steering wheel and made him aware that I had it laying there. He just thanked me for letting him know.

Bad thing about this is if you suddenly stop or were in an accident, the pistol could go flying. I have been checking out some of the set ups that they have for mounting a holster to the vehicle dash or the seat. Just for this reason.
    The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control....
    The day they want my guns, they'll have to bring theirs!!!
    Proud to be One of the 3%

(Chester County)

Not recommended, but perfectly legal.

(Montgomery County)

He said that it's not a good idea to do this because if an LEO were to find this out for whatever reason I would be cited for having an "unholstered" weapon. Is this true? I looked for this "law" and searched this site but found nothing.
    Always remember, in a debate, it's the person who makes the positive assertion who needs to provide the proof. If something doesn't actually exist, you could search forever.

Your response to him should have been "Please cite the law for me"

You got your answer though, you're legal, just be safe. Nothing wrong with educating yourself.

p.s., your friend is technically right. An LEO can cite you for anything he wants. Doesn't mean it's legal.

I think Pa is the king of non-existent gun laws.

I would recommend that you purchase a cheap holster to leave in the vehicle for sticking between the seats or temporarily locking the gun in the glove box or lock box.

BTW it wouldn’t surprise if someone has been cited for this.
    FUCK BIDEN

(Monroe County)

I usually remove my IWB holster and slide my weapon into the seat beside me for easier access.

Longhunter1757
    do you do this simply for easier access?..or comfort too?...when i get in my vehicle i put the lap belt portion of my seatbelt behind my iwb holster (between the back of the holster and my stomach), then i pull my shirt over it so i have instant access should anything go awry while sitting in my car. just another option for you instead of removing it.

(Washington County)

Thanks guys!
    Exactly the answers I expected.

As to it not being safe, I agree completely. I've considered the aspects of being in an accident and having it go flying.
    Also, allow me to clarify, it is not unholstered. It remains in it's holster but gets stuffed in between the seat and console and when my rather large posterior sits down it get's pinched in between the two quite securely.
    That all being said, I am currently looking for other holster alternatives so that I won't have to do this. Mostly because it's darn inconvienient to keep removing it from my waistband but also because of the safety issues.

Chemical - it's for easier access. The seat in my vehicle is rather tight and my butt is rather wide which makes for a difficult draw angel.

Thanks again!!!

Longhunter1757
    Last edited by longhunter1757; July 2nd, 2009 at 11:14 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast