Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Went to Hershey Park today

So I went to Hershey Park today. In order to ride some of the roller coasters, they require you to remove anything not physically attached to your body. This includes prescription eyeglasses, which I happen to wear. As I am sitting down and putting a safety harness on, a security officer tells me I need to remove my glasses because it's policy. I argued with her for a little bit, because I feel that is quite unreasonable. My glasses are professionally fitted to my face. I've jumped bicycles into foam pits with them on. I crashed a motorcycle with them on. I've done all sorts of crazy things with my glasses on, and they have never taken flight and injured anyone. Suddenly, I'm being made to feel like I am posing a threat to everyone because I require corrective lenses to see properly. I pointed out the fact that my glasses were custom fitted to my head, and the seat was not custom fitted to my ass, but the security guard did not seem amused.

I wound up taking them off until the roller coaster left, then putting them back onto my face after the train left the station, where they remained for the duration of the ride.

Has anyone else ever been told to remove their glasses to ride a ride like this? I've been to other amusement parks in the area, and I have never been told to remove my glasses.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Went to Hershey Park today

I use to have a season pass to Hershey Park and we would go all the time. Yes, that was, and is still the policy on most rides. All of the parks that I have gone to, even in Florida, have asked us to remove such items. You can never predict what may happen on a ride. It is always better to be safe than sorry.

(Allegheny County)

Agreed. I prefer to use caution.

I usually wear contacts at amusement parks and hold onto my sunglasses if my friends actually manage to get me onto a roller coaster.
    "Pride and dignity are good, but only in moderation." P-11 Shooter

(Monroe County)

Interesting that we want our rights and values respected yet on HP private property you choose to not respect their rules and rights.

(Delaware County)

So let's pretend that you tear into a negative 1 G and hit back into a 4 G turn? Maybe, just maybe your glasses go flying off your face, even though they were professionally sized. So those glasses go flying at say 60 MPH and hit a person just walking along the pathway under the ride? Or worse, smack a little kid sitting in a baby coach?

Just follow the rules, and enjoy the day! It is their property, and their choice, right?

I have rules in my house too? If you are going to sing karaoke here, or join in our singing groups, we insist you have some ability to sing. But I will let you keep your glasses on and wear your gun!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Lebanon County)

Yeah, not a new policy and no way would I have kept them on. I'm glad yours stayed on though....

(Montgomery County)

Any idea what the liability insurance must cost at these parks?
    They're trying to keep their insurance and lawsuit costs down. Thus keeping their admission raping.... I mean fees down.

(Montgomery County)

I went throught the same thing at HP and at Ceder Point.

The thing that gets me is that when these coasters are doing 80mph it would only seem to make sense to leave some type of glasses on your face protecting your eyes. What happens if a bug smacks you in the eye? You need to wear safety glasses when you ride a motorcycle on the roads.

(Montgomery County)

I've never been asked to, but I always do because I don't want to lose them and ruin the rest of my day cause I can't see.

(Bucks County)

Well, if my glasses had taken flight and injured an innocent bystander, I would have taken responsibility.

Since they stayed on, I am just going to avoid going to amusement parks that have these rules in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast