Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Erie, PA

(Erie County)

Default Erie, PA

On Saturday June 27, 2009 I stopped at Giant Eagle to buy some groceries with my wife and two boys, ages 9 and 6. I chose to open carry as I have done for over a year now in different locations with no problems. A gentlemen approached by saying that he was security and asking if I had been hunting (I was carrying a subcompact xd 9mm). He wanted to know my reasoning for OC and I told him it was my right, he acknowledged that he knew that. I asked him if he wanted me to leave and he replied no that I was making some customers nervous. We continued to do our shopping but had noticed that he was following us around the store. Our older son had turned around to see if he was there and notice that two police officers from millcreek were walking down the isle towards us. I gave them a warm welcoming and I was asked to show them my I.D. I politely asked if it was okay to reach into my pocket and they said yes. I showed them my I.D. told them I was being more than cooperative with them. That I didn't need to show them my I.D. and they said yes you do because it was an investigation. I replied are you detaining me? Nervously they said what? I replied are you detaining me or going to arrest me? They replied no and then asked me if I had a permit to conceal and replied yes but I don't need it and won't show it to you. They asked what the reasoning was for oc and he said let me guess because you can and I said yes. He said in this day and age people get scared when they see guns and I replied then they need educated. The police then left telling us to carry on. We told Giant Eagle that we were going to give the sale to someone who believed in our constitutional rights, asked where to leave the cart and then walked out. The Giant Eagle was on W 26th Street in Erie, PA.

Default Re: Erie, PA

Quote Originally Posted by k97355 View Post
    On Saturday June 27, 2009 I stopped at Giant Eagle to buy some groceries with my wife and two boys, ages 9 and 6. I chose to open carry as I have done for over a year now in different locations with no problems. A gentlemen approached by saying that he was security and asking if I had been hunting (I was carrying a subcompact xd 9mm). He wanted to know my reasoning for OC and I told him it was my right, he acknowledged that he knew that. I asked him if he wanted me to leave and he replied no that I was making some customers nervous. We continued to do our shopping but had noticed that he was following us around the store. Our older son had turned around to see if he was there and notice that two police officers from millcreek were walking down the isle towards us. I gave them a warm welcoming and I was asked to show them my I.D. I politely asked if it was okay to reach into my pocket and they said yes. I showed them my I.D. told them I was being more than cooperative with them. That I didn't need to show them my I.D. and they said yes you do because it was an investigation. I replied are you detaining me? Nervously they said what? I replied are you detaining me or going to arrest me? They replied no and then asked me if I had a permit to conceal and replied yes but I don't need it and won't show it to you. They asked what the reasoning was for oc and he said let me guess because you can and I said yes. He said in this day and age people get scared when they see guns and I replied then they need educated. The police then left telling us to carry on. We told Giant Eagle that we were going to give the sale to someone who believed in our constitutional rights, asked where to leave the cart and then walked out. The Giant Eagle was on W 26th Street in Erie, PA.
    If this actually happened, as reported, you will receive some rep.

Good on you to leave the groceries, and leave!!!!!

(Mercer County)

YES!

Finally, someone standing up for himself, and not playing the part of the loyal subject! I hope this is a real story. I'm not calling you a liar, but with the recent flood of "bend over and take it" that we've seen on the board, I'm naturally skeptical.

Rep sent to you...

By the way - hunting with an XD? Really?

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by k97355 View Post
    We told Giant Eagle that we were going to give the sale to someone who believed in our constitutional rights, asked where to leave the cart and then walked out. The Giant Eagle was on W 26th Street in Erie, PA.
    You made them very happy with that outcome. They probably think you won't be back, and they are not sad to lose one customer, especially you. If they saw a pattern of this behavior from several patrons, then...maybe.

When you indicate to a large retailer you are pissed and won't be back then you have closed the issue and they don't have to worry about it anymore. Few will bother to try to appease you at that point. It happens, they are happy to move on. I am not sure what I will do if I ever run into that situation. I hope I will tell them that I don't want to run into this type of situation next time I come in. In other words, this isn't going away. If I get flak in response (assuming I haven't been asked to leave) I will request they get somebody in management to explain their corporate policy on this issue. Because if gun owners are not welcome here I want to make people aware of it so there are no further issues.

(Cumberland County)

good job .............rep sent

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    You made them very happy with that outcome. They probably think you won't be back, and they are not sad to lose one customer, especially you. If they saw a pattern of this behavior from several patrons, then...maybe.

When you indicate to a large retailer you are pissed and won't be back then you have closed the issue and they don't have to worry about it anymore. Few will bother to try to appease you at that point. It happens, they are happy to move on. I am not sure what I will do if I ever run into that situation. I hope I will tell them that I don't want to run into this type of situation next time I come in. In other words, this isn't going away. If I get flak in response (assuming I haven't been asked to leave) I will request they get somebody in management to explain their corporate policy on this issue. Because if gun owners are not welcome here I want to make people aware of it so there are no further issues.

You bring up a very good point. One that I've often times considered when reading these accounts.

Telling them "I will no longer shop here" is pretty much what they want to hear, if in fact, they are opposed to firearms in general.

On the other hand, saying nothing, and then coming here to tell "us" you won't go back doesn't help change anything either.

It really just depends on how badly they need you as a customer.

By the way, if you're gonna do it the first way, leaving the goods in the cart and walking is the way I'd do it too.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    If this actually happened, as reported, you will receive some rep.

Good on you to leave the groceries, and leave!!!!!
    I can vouche for his character because I work with him every day.
    Good for you Joe for standing up for our rights.

Good job!

I've heard that the Millcreek LEO's are bad when it comes to O/C, they don't like it. However, even though they don't like it, I've never heard anything about them breaking laws.

Sorry about the embarrassment with your family and being followed like a thug.

Happily everything worked out a-okay!

(Erie County)

This needs to be followed up with contact with the corporate office. "Security" aka loss prevention should be aware of the corporate policy that allows lawful carry of firearms. Since the West 26th Street store is a corporate run store, I am sure they would like to be informed of this encounter.

From here:
    http://forum.pafoa.org/open-carry-14...ed-page-5.html

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    *UPDATE* spoke with Rich Vogel of the Loss prevention dept of Giant Eagle. he told me that the issue was handled and that the employees and managment did not know that Open Carry was legal. he said that he and the store manager apolagize for asking me to lock my firearm up/leave. he explained that the employees and managment are now aware and that there is no policy on the carry of firearms in the store by citizens.

so continue to OC at GE
    Last edited by Tenbulls; July 1st, 2009 at 04:53 AM. Reason: add reference
    Highly motivated, truly dedicated, United States MARINE .......

Quote Originally Posted by Paradigm View Post
    By the way - hunting with an XD? Really?
    Yeah, seriously. I mean, the XD is a fantastic gun, but for hunting? really?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast