Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Eye Dominance

(Cambria County)

Default Eye Dominance

I want to learn more about this whole concept of eye dominance in relation to aiming firearms. It seems like every other shooter I meet is right handed, but left-eye dominant.

I understand how to 'check/test' for which eye is dominant, and I understand the principal behind the concept. What I am looking for is evidence regarding how significant eye-dominance is in regard to aiming. Who originally discovered that eye-dominance can be a big issue for shooters? Is there any evidence, beyond anecdotal, that eye-dominance has a major impact on shooting?

I tend to think that eye-dominance has little or no impact on shooting beyond the psychological handicaps that people impose upon themselves when they think that it makes a big difference. Humans are really adaptable creatures, I'm inclined to think that unless a person had such severe eye-dominance issues that it affects their day to day life, it shouldn't be enough of an issue to affect their shooting.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Eye Dominance

Simply, eye dominance doesn't mean squat unless you want/need to keep both eye's open when aiming or tracking a target. If you are cross dominant, you simply need to close the dominant eye or obstruct the view of the front sight to deal with the cross dominance.

Is it a good idea to keep both eye's open? Depends on what type of shooting you're doing. For example, it's a huge benefit to keep both eye's open when shooting trap. Being able to pick up the bird quickly with either eye at varying angles will permit you to bring your shotgun on target much quicker than if you only had one eye tracking. Can you be successful in trap using only one eye? Sure you can, but I think you would be "handicapping" yourself by only using one.
    Last edited by Gunny1969; June 30th, 2009 at 03:45 PM.
    "Giving up freedom for security is beginning to look naïve".

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny1969 View Post
    Simply, eye dominance doesn't mean squat unless you want/need to keep both eye's open when aiming or tracking a target. If you are cross dominant, you simply need to close the dominant eye or obstruct the view of the front sight to deal with the cross dominance.

Is it a good idea to keep both eye's open? Depends on what type of shooting you're doing. For example, it's a huge benefit to keep both eye's open when shooting trap. Being able to pick up the bird quickly with either eye at varying angles will permit you to bring your shotgun on target much quicker than if you only had one eye tracking. Can you be successful in trap using only one eye? Sure you can, but I think you would be "handicapping" yourself by only using one.
    Good post. I have cross dominance, I started shooting pistol using my left eye even though I carry right. Rifle I have to close my dominant eye to shoot, and have thought about training myself to shoot lefty especially for long guns because I like to shoot trap but can't do it with both eyes open because I am basically looking down the side of the gun and not the barrel.

(Allegheny County)

hello. my name is Shawn
    and I am cross-dominate

With pistols its no biggie. I want both eyes open, I want to be able to move and shoot at moving targets and for that having both eyes open is a big plus.

to solve for L eye, R hand I just have to turn my head very slightly to the right, so that my L eye moves over and is now behind my sights. Shooting ISO its easier, as the pistol is lined up right up front I wouldnt even think you would notice.

I train/practice this way, so its no handicap at all.

Rifles are another story. I am awful fumbly trying to maniplulate L handed, esp using tools built for a R hand world. So I have to squint my L eye or close it completely.

This limits my field of view and depth perception, so it adversly effects me (even if only minorly) when dealing with moveing and shooting, moving targets, ect.

When I shoot CMP if I squint like this it tenses up my face, and can therefore effect accuracy. The cure for that is tape on the glasses, although I dont normally do it.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn.L View Post
    hello. my name is Shawn
    and I am cross-dominate
    [From group in unison] Hello Shawn.

Please help yourself to coffee and cookies in the back of the room then join us in the circle.

(Lancaster County)

I am a very lucky guy because I'm left handed and left eye dominant. I had a buddy that was blinded in his right eye but shot left handed which was OK, But he looked somewhat silly when he shot a long gun. And he did good with it.
    I'd rather be judged by twelve than carried by six!

hello. my name is Shawn
    and I am cross-dominate
    Hello Shawn!

to solve for L eye, R hand I just have to turn my head very slightly to the right, so that my L eye moves over and is now behind my sights.

[...]

I train/practice this way, so its no handicap at all.
    Like I said in another thread, I can force my left eye to be used for aiming over my right hand by turning my head.

I start to wonder if I actually have a dominant eye or not at all. I know that I am right handed, but left footed (I'd kick a ball most of the time with the left foot, although right works for some definition of "works", but not for precision shots). But on the eyes I start to wonder.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
    I start to wonder if I actually have a dominant eye or not at all.
    I'm wondering the same thing. I can pick up my sights with either eye. It takes some thought to do it with my left eye, but I think that's because I usually practice with my right. I don't think I would have any problem hitting targets with either eye.

I'll be trying it out for physical verification next time I get to the range.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    I'm wondering the same thing. I can pick up my sights with either eye. It takes some thought to do it with my left eye, but I think that's because I usually practice with my right. I don't think I would have any problem hitting targets with either eye.

what I have found is that while my left eye is the naturally dominate one I can with some effort switch domiance to my right. If I squint my left when i pick up the rifle and shoulder it my right will engage.

but.........

after the shock of recoil sometimes, or when i take my eyes off the site as i am moving, the focus is right back on my left eye.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Me too.

And not only that. I'm going to dry-fire, draw and do some shooting with my support hand (left) and see if I naturally acquire with the left eye during that or not.

Thinking of it ... can't be a bad idea to train shooting with your weak side ... there may come the day it's all you got.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.