Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Question LTCF (2 References)

Howdy folks.

I have to get this right the first time because I'm extremely busy with work. On Wednesday, July 1st, I'll be traveling to The Adams County Sheriff's Office to apply for a LTCF. I've read over the requirements and I'm at a slight snag with the 2 references that are required on the application.

I've recently moved here from Maryland and I don't know anyone to use as a reference other then a few people here in my apartment building. I feel odd asking them if I can use them as a reference and we're all at the exact same address other then the apartment numbers.

I can understand them asking for 2 references, but what if a person really didn't have a reference or two to put on the application. I can think of a few scenarios but I'll spare you.

Is Adams County firearm friendly? Do you think I should ask neighbors to be a reference? Do you think, if I explained being new to the State and not knowing anyone that it would hinder my being eligible to get the license?

I'll stop asking questions and your replies, thoughts are appreciated.

Keep safe and be healthy…… Mark

Default Re: LTCF (2 References)

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    Howdy folks.

I have to get this right the first time because I'm extremely busy with work. On Wednesday, July 1st, I'll be traveling to The Adams County Sheriff's Office to apply for a LTCF. I've read over the requirements and I'm at a slight snag with the 2 references that are required on the application.

I've recently moved here from Maryland and I don't know anyone to use as a reference other then a few people here in my apartment building. I feel odd asking them if I can use them as a reference and we're all at the exact same address other then the apartment numbers.

I can understand them asking for 2 references, but what if a person really didn't have a reference or two to put on the application. I can think of a few scenarios but I'll spare you.

Is Adams County firearm friendly? Do you think I should ask neighbors to be a reference? Do you think, if I explained being new to the State and not knowing anyone that it would hinder my being eligible to get the license?

I'll stop asking questions and your replies, thoughts are appreciated.

Keep safe and be healthy…… Mark
    I'm not sure about Adams County specifically (some counties try to make their own rules), but the official application only states that references cannot be family members...no mention of state of residence. So you should be able to use friends from MD (if you have them) if you want to.

Best bet, just call the sheriff's office and ask them. Many times references are not even called anyway.

(Monroe County)

I would post this in the Adams county forum. I see you have already posted there, so you know where it is. You may be able to find references there...

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

I'm in York Co., 1 of my references was a MD resident. And that was with the previous Sheriff.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post

I would post this in the Adams county forum.

You may be able to find references there...
    Another question to ask is, does Adams County typically contact references?

Although Montgomery County asks for them as well, I haven't heard of any instances where the references were actually contacted.

Obviously the practice of contacting references varies greatly, county to county.
    Vortex

"The United States is a nation of laws, . . . . badly written and randomly enforced." - generally attributed to Frank Zappa

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Vortex View Post

Although Montgomery County asks for them as well, I haven't heard of any instances where the references were actually contacted.

Obviously the practice of contacting references varies greatly, county to county.
    monroe county does,at least when i first got it they did, not sure about when i renewed., i think i remember one of my friends saying they got contacted the first time i renewed, but the 2nd i didnt hear anything.

Yes, He does, and he is very thorough. I have heard of hrs. long phone calls , about a person.

They didn't even contact mine, and I'm not a US citizen to begin with.

Jan
    So long and thanks for all the fish.

(Pike County)

Pike County does check the references even if in another State. On renewal references are not needed.

(Elk County)

References for the PA LTCF do not need to be residents of PA.

Just put down your best references from MD; such as LEOs, attorneys, former co-workers or neighbors with whom you've had good relationships, etc.

I put down the county DA and an attorney on my LTCF 17 yrs ago and the app flew through. I put down the same two guys on each renewal and just waited while they called PICS.

Noah

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast