Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Re: LTCF (2 References)

Well, I guess everything went by the books. I stopped at the Post Office and had a passport photo made.

At the Sheriff's Office I filled out the LTCF application and there was a place to affix the photo. The man that took my application said, "We don't need the photo right now." I also didn't have to pay anything.

The man said, "It will take 5 to 6 weeks for the approval and we'll call you. After that you have 30 days to return to our department to pick it up or fill out paperwork to dispute a denial. I asked "Are you sure you don't need the photo or payment?" He said, "Yes" and that was it.

I guess every County is different, but I thought I'd do everything today and have the license mailed to me, or receive a letter of denial.

Oh, the application didn't require the references to be PA residents.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbaker View Post
    I'll have to check when I get home because I don't think Lehigh has the application online, but I thought their application said the references had to be from Lehigh right on it.
    All of the apps are exactly the same...only thing that should make them different is the BLank at the top where they fill in the County name...

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    At the Sheriff's Office I filled out the LTCF application and there was a place to affix the photo. The man that took my application said, "We don't need the photo right now." I also didn't have to pay anything.

The man said, "It will take 5 to 6 weeks for the approval and we'll call you. After that you have 30 days to return to our department to pick it up or fill out paperwork to dispute a denial. I asked "Are you sure you don't need the photo or payment?" He said, "Yes" and that was it.
    Now thats interesting....I thought they all required payment up front....

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    Now thats interesting....I thought they all required payment up front....
    I thought the exact same thing. You'd think they'd want the money up front in case of a denial. That way they're paid for their time and effort and someone that's denied isn’t going to pay for a denial.

The photo thing struck me as odd also. I mean, there was a place to affix it at the top, right of the application. Lets say someone is stupid enough to apply for a LTCF that's wanted by the law. I've read it somewhere that it's happened. The Sheriff would have a rather up to date photo of the wanted person that's applying.

I don't know if the man that took my application was the Sheriff or even an employee of the department. He was dressed plain clothes, no badge or identification tag. I think I'll do a search for his photo.

edit: No, it wasn't the Sheriff that took my application. And apparently there's a female in charge of handling permits. If this was a female that took my application, "God help the poor women." LOL
    Last edited by Peddler; July 1st, 2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: addition

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Peddler View Post
    I thought the exact same thing. You'd think they'd want the money up front in case of a denial. That way they're paid for their time and effort and someone that's denied isn’t going to pay for a denial.
    (6) Except for the administrative fee of $5 under section 14(2) of the Sheriff Fee Act, all other fees shall be refunded if the application is denied...

(Northampton County)

I just applied for mine in Northampton county and it didn't state that they needed to be in the same state/county.
    I attached the pdf document for Northampton
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Allegheny County)

Per 18 Pa.C.S. §6109(c):
    Form of application and content.--
    The application for a license to carry a firearm shall be uniform throughout this Commonwealth and shall be on a form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police. The form may contain provisions, not exceeding one page, to assure compliance with this section. Issuing authorities shall use only the application form prescribed by the Pennsylvania State Police.
    This is the official SP-4-127 form:
    Attached Files Attached Files

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    All of the apps are exactly the same...only thing that should make them different is the BLank at the top where they fill in the County name...
    You're right. I have the Lehigh application in front of me. They have an attached instruction sheet which includes this (caps and underlining are on the sheet):

"(C) TWO (2) PERSONAL CHARACTER REFERENCES ARE REQUIRED ON THE APPLICATION UNDER SEC #29. THE REFERENCES ARE TO BE RESIDENTS OF LEHIGH COUNTY AND NOT YOUR IMMEDIATE FAMILY"

(Franklin County)

It feels odd to think it but, "I've been given permission (by the mysterious powers that believe they're better to decide weather my measly existence deserves the right to defend itself), to carry a concealed firearm. I'd give them a Thank You card, some roses and kiss their feet, but tomorrows Sunday.

I shouldn't be harsh and not that it was intentional, but I received my approval letter today. Exactly 45 days from the day I applied. All of those hours devising a master plan to confront the sheriff about it were wasted. I could have spent that time studying politics.

Now that I'm a chosen one, I've responsibilities. Safety, professionalism, discernment and a vow to be a light in the darkness if no other glimmer of hope is available. I know my firearm well, and will continue to keep it familiar.

I didn't want to wake an old thread, but oddly I had to get it out of my system. Close to 50 years of my life past and now I'm an armed American. "May God forbid that I ever have to use it to end a life and God Bless America."

Congrats and welcome to the club. Remember the likelihood of you having to use the gun is very, very small. We should all spend more time on some board about heart disease and diabetes!

(Pike County)

Yes they can be from out of State but it may take a few days longer waitng for their return.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast