On a recent trip to the range I had the chance to see this stuff in action. I have considered getting some, now that I have seen it I want it.

Is this stuff really legal. I have been to the website and read their disclaimer: from http://www.tannerite.com/

WHY IS TANNERITE™ LEGAL? Answer: Manufacturing is a commerce issue governed by the feds. Page 58 CFR 5400.7 General Q&A Section, new edition: #36. When is a Federal manufacturing license required? "A manufacturer's license is needed ONLY by persons engaged in the business of manufacturing explosives materials for SALE, DISTRIBUTION, or for BUSINESS use. For example, persons engaged in the business of providing a blasting service using explosives of their own manufacture would be required to have a license. Persons who manufacture explosives for their personal, NON-commercial use would not need a license."

Furthermore, when you are mixing Tannerite™, you are manufacturing a black powder, although a much safer and stable black powder, Tannerite™ has a faster burn rate. Black powder is a regulated explosive, but is exempt IF USED FOR SPORTING PURPOSES IN CONJUNCTION WITH SPORTING ARMS. It is important to note that although Federal law allows a person to possess up to 50 lbs of powder, most states have lesser limits on possession amounts. Therefore it's important not to mix more powder at one time than is allowed by your state or local laws.

The above is the law of the land on the use of Tannerite™. We feel that it is important to note that in some situations, a person may be in violation and not know it. Such a situation is when a range mixes Tannerite™ and then charges a fee to shoot it. In this situation, IF the shooter is paying the range owner any kind of reimbursement, renumeration, etc, it is "possible" that the range would be required to be licensed. Thus far, we aren't aware of this being enforced (Using Knob Creek Range as an example, they have been told that they do not need a license to mix Tannerite™ for the line shooters). All things are subject to change, and we will keep the public informed of any new changes in law. Some states claim that the L&I (labor and Industry dept) or other agencies have authority to regulate Tannerite™. This is simply not the case if the shooter is using the targets for personal use.

It seems to me that using this stuff would be no different than making a pipe bomb set to go off on command rather than a fuze. (obviously you have to be good enough to hit the canister but you get my point) Since my experience with the stuff, I want to buy some. I like making stuff go BOOM and the Army pays me to do it a couple of times a year. I wouldn't want to risk prison just to have a little fun on the weekends.

In Pa they can sell fireworks that are illegal for Pa residents, wouldn't this be the same thing?

My question is wouldn't using this stuff as advertised be classified as a destructive device? Or more likely perceived to be a destructive device if a LEO happened to visit?

Thoughts?