Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Lehigh County)

Default multi-caliber pistols (glocks and everything else)

I heard that with some glocks, it's possible to simply change the barrel in order to shoot another caliber. I checked glock's website, but I did not find any info about caliber conversions. Does anyone know if it's possible to convert a 40 S&W glock (any model) to 9mm? I found one video on youtube in which a guy claimed that it was possible if you simply changed the barrels:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14cxjVm8Ddk

Is the info in the video accurate? Have any of you guys actually tried it? If if is, how much does the conversion kit cost? Also, are pistols made by different manufacturers just as easy to convert (ie, beretta, springfield, cz, etc)?

I already heard about the Sig p250, but I'm not interested in that one since the cost of each conversion kit is absolutely absurd. Thanks in advance.

Default Re: multi-caliber pistols (glocks and everything else)

Yuppers, we have a G27 and just recently bought a G26 slide and mags. Want to shoot 40? pop on the 27 slide and mags, want to shoot 9mm pop on the G26 stuff.

BTW, you don't need the whole slide, we just happened to stumble on one at a good price.

(Butler County)

EFK Firedragon ( http://www.efkfiredragon.com/ ) makes conversion barrels for a variety of pistols (glock, SA XD's...). To use one of these you generally need to also use the correct mags for that caliber. For instance you can convert a SA XDm .40 s&w into a 9mm with a conversion barrel, but you should also use the 9mm mags as well as possibly lighter recoil spring. The force of the 9mm round may not be enough to fully cycle the slide with the standard .40 recoil spring. Also one important thing to note, you can only go down in caliber, never up.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    EFK Firedragon ( http://www.efkfiredragon.com/ ) makes conversion barrels for a variety of pistols (glock, SA XD's...). To use one of these you generally need to also use the correct mags for that caliber. For instance you can convert a SA XDm .40 s&w into a 9mm with a conversion barrel, but you should also use the 9mm mags as well as possibly lighter recoil spring. The force of the 9mm round may not be enough to fully cycle the slide with the standard .40 recoil spring. Also one important thing to note, you can only go down in caliber, never up.
    So... I have a G19.

Your saying I would not be able to buy a G23 barrel and mags to shoot .40's using my G19 frame.

But if I had bought a G23... I would be able to buy the G19 Barrel and Mags and Shoot 9mm out of it?

(Philadelphia County)

You want glock conversion..... Here ya go!
    (I wander what the recoil is on this puppy)
    http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/sneakpreview.shtml
    ZRT -SECTOR-7
    "If you do not stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them" - Unknown
    "Incoming fire has the right of way" - Murphy's Military Laws
    "Fast is fine, accuracy is final" - Larry Vickers

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Fly View Post
    So... I have a G19.

Your saying I would not be able to buy a G23 barrel and mags to shoot .40's using my G19 frame.

But if I had bought a G23... I would be able to buy the G19 Barrel and Mags and Shoot 9mm out of it?
    I think it has someting to do with the barrel diamater differences beteween 9mm and 40 sw

this is the link to the lone wolf site and it shows the barrel conversion options and they do not offer a g19 to g23......

http://www.lonewolfdist.com/Products.aspx?CAT=241

I used this system to change my g27 to 9mm and the barrel was a thicker diamater.

So far after 500 rounds in 9mm it works good and extracts and ejects with no issues.

As a back up I got a 9mm extractor just incase the stock 40sw extractor does not hit the case rims, so far I haven't needed it

As far as the original OP questions on caliber conversions, the lone wolf site offers items in most of the polymer framed guns.

As far as converting a 1911 to 9mm or 40 or 38 super you can switch the slide and barrel assembly, but you will have to replace the ejector with a 38 super ejector.

For converting a browning hi power you cannot go from 9mm to 40 sw but you can go from 40sw to 9mm with a slide and barrel switch. The 40sw frame is larger in some areas intentionally so you cannot put the 40 sw slide/barrel group on a 9mm frame.

Good luck and happy converting....calibers that is

as a side note you cannot use a stock glock 40sw barrel and put it in a 9mm glock as the 40 sw barrel is thicker than the stock 9mm barrel..........
    Last edited by gold cup abuser; June 29th, 2009 at 10:34 AM.
    gotta love her ;)

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by dc dalton View Post
    Yuppers, we have a G27 and just recently bought a G26 slide and mags. Want to shoot 40? pop on the 27 slide and mags, want to shoot 9mm pop on the G26 stuff.

BTW, you don't need the whole slide, we just happened to stumble on one at a good price.
    What are the benefits of purchasing an entire slide?

Quote Originally Posted by swack View Post
    So does that mean that my best bet would be to get a glock 20 (full size 10mm auto glock) so that I could shoot every caliber that's smaller than 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by etep513 View Post
    What are the benefits of purchasing an entire slide
    Not sure there are any benefits (except maybe having the proper springs), I just happen to 'stumble upon' a complete, brand new slide at a shop and got it at a good price.

It is nice thought just flipping the slides and mags to convert, saves having to rip the barrel out etc ... fast as hell.

(Allegheny County)

I wonder if I bought a G23 slide, barrel, spring, and magazine... if it would work then?

I wonder if the frame's are exactly the same?

Something to look into.... any ideas?

(Luzerne County)

I have a Sig P229 that came in .40 and I bought a new barrel for .357.

Still use the same mags.

WBK

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast