Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Am I being ridiculous?

I live about 20 min away from Maryland. Before I received my Concealed Handgun License. I regularly shopped, ate and gassed up in MD. However I stopped conducting any business in MD once I discovered Maryland's lack of reciprocity and the 'may-issue' status of their concealed carry permits. I refuse to support, with my tax dollars, any state which refuses to recognize its citizens basic right to defend themselves. I discourage, but do not forbid, my family from shopping in MD for the same reasons. For the most part they abide by my wishes and do try to refrain from shopping in MD even though there are stores there which are not anywhere else near-by.

Recently there have been a couple instances where my daughter has openly, but respectively, questioned my principles and my refusal to spend money in MD.

First was a few weeks ago. We were coming back from the Newville, PA drive-in and had to stop so I could unload and store my firearm and ammunition prior to crossing into MD. A short discussion ensued where she remarked "You could just not carry." My response, which made her sit back and think, was "I love you too much to allow you to be hurt if there is anything I can do to prevent it. Leaving my gun at home means my best, most effective defense against you, or any of us, getting hurt is gone."

A few days later my fiancee, her sister and my daughter were in MD at Sam's Club. My daughter called me to ask if I wanted to meet them at IHOP. I declined and she asked why. I simply said "Its in Maryland." I could "hear" her eyes rolling as she said "Daaaad, c'mon." Again I declined and told her if they wanted to go to IHOP they could, but I wouldn't be joining them. She huffed a bit then the conversation turned to other matters.

I believe I'm standing for my principles without being pushy or demanding of my family. But my daughter seems to be of the opinion that I'm going to a ridiculous extreme. I've taken the time (many, many times) to explain to her why I carry and she definitely isn't anti-gun. She shoots damn near as good as I do, and in some cases, better! But she seems to not quite 'get it' when it comes to carrying a gun for self-defense.

This is the first gun related dilemma I've encountered with my family. Hell, everyone else in the family either has, or is getting their concealed carry license.

So am I being ridiculous with my absolute refusal to spend money in MD? Is there another direction I can take in explaining to her how important I feel it is to be able to defend myself effectively? Or should I chalk this up to her "I'm 18 years old and invincible" typical teen attitude?
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Default Re: Am I being ridiculous?

Nope, your standing up for what you believe.

(Schuylkill County)

I might do the same thing.

I live in NJ near the shore and the Garden State Parkway is the best route to Northern or Southern points. Since they increased the tolls on the Parkway, I have refused to use the road as a protest against oppressive government taxation. This makes travel tedious at times when I have to add 30 min or 30 miles to a trip to avoid paying $0.30 more per toll than last year.

Its part of being a curmudgeon. Eccentricity is your earned right.

Nah, not ridiculous at all. You feel you want to stand up for your beliefs that way so go ahead.

One other thing you might consider...write, call, email as many folks as possible in the MD government and tourism departments to let them know of your decision to avoid MD and exactly why.

Also mention that you try and persuade others to also avoid their restrictive state for the same reasons.

Not that one guy informing them will do much good... but who knows... if enough people do it maybe some good will come of it.

Seems to me it's more of a protest on your part if some of the decision makers actually know about it

Plus it will make you feel better stating your opinions to them

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by WVneighbor View Post
    First was a few weeks ago. We were coming back from the Newville, PA drive-in and had to stop so I could unload and store my firearm and ammunition prior to crossing into MD.
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure even that is still illegal?

My understanding is that the federal law that allows you to transport your firearm secured and unloaded in a state where that would otherwise be unlawful will only cover you if you are simply passing through that state on your way to a state where you can lawfully carry your firearm upon arrival, and that you will not be covered if your destination is in the prohibiting state.

I'll admit that I'm no expert on Maryland law. I believe, however, that Maryland itself does not allow for unloaded transport of firearms either, unless you are licensed by Maryland to carry a firearm, or a cop, or you are going to a few select destinations such as target practice, a place of repair, moving to a new place of residence, ect.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    I'm no lawyer, but I'm pretty sure even that is still illegal?

My understanding is that the federal law that allows you to transport your firearm secured and unloaded in a state where that would otherwise be unlawful will only cover you if you are simply passing through that state on your way to a state where you can lawfully carry your firearm upon arrival, and that you will not be covered if your destination is in the prohibiting state.

I'll admit that I'm no expert on Maryland law. I believe, however, that Maryland itself does not allow for unloaded transport of firearms either, unless you are licensed by Maryland to carry a firearm, or a cop, or you are going to a few select destinations such as target practice, a place of repair, moving to a new place of residence, ect.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.
    Ummmmm, He goes through MD, to get home to WV.

(Northampton County)

I used to take the same stance on spending money in anti-gun states. I refused to stop for gas or food or anything in New Jersey, New York, or Maryland.

Then I realized that by letting these states inconvenience me, they still kind of won in the long run.

So now I avoid making them my destination, but I don't inconvenience myself to avoid spending money in them.

But to each his own. The OP seems to have a reasonable policy, and more power to him if he will make sacrifices for his principles.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Bucks County)

I may be in the minority here, but your putting your pet peeve before your family. If you can convince them to lets say meet you outside of maryland for brekke, cool. But what happens when your at home and things go south where their eating in MD?

Your not there for them, even if you would be unarmed.

(Somerset County)

I refuse to spend one cent in a state I can't carry in . If I must travel through such state , I take the shortest possible route .
    Don't blame me ; I voted for an American .

(Montgomery County)

I have a friend who lives in New Hope so I leave my gun at his house if I have to go into NJ. I try not to shop there for two reasons. I don't want to support that state if I can help it. And the things I do end up buying I buy here in PA. Reward the state that supports me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast