State Police Patrols Start Friday Night in Harrisburg
06/26/09 5:54 pm
reporter: Andy Briggs

Harrisburg, Pa - As we first reported Thursday evening, Governor Rendell is pledging state police to help curb the violence in Harrisburg. Friday night, troopers hit the streets.

They started patrolling violence prone areas around 6:00 p.m. They will continue through the weekend. On Monday, Harrisburg police will evaluate the plan, and decide if they need to request more troopers.

"It's hard to believe," said Faith Temple Church of God Pastor Milton Thompson. "When we used to come up, you used your hands and fought. Now it's guns and it's getting worse."

It still has people scared.

"Sundown, I'm in my house," said Nancy White of Harrisburg. "i'm scared to walk the street. It's too dangerous out here."

In an effort to help restore peace in the city, state police are now patrolling the streets. Harrisburg Police Chief Charles Kellar requested two cars and four troopers to back up his officers, who are now working 12-hour shifts.

"We've been running hard so just to get fresh bodies in here is a benefit for us, so hopefully this will help in the effort," Kellar said.

The extra manpower comes from Troop H in Dauphin County. While in the city, we're told the troopers will focus on high crime areas.

"The City Police Department is obviously doing a great job with what they have," said State Police Lt. Gib Morrissey. "We're there to assist them. We're going to do the best we can to meet their needs with the resources that we have."

Residents we spoke with welcome the extra police presence.

"Oh yes, it will help a whole lot," said White.

"Whatever they can put out here, let them know they're out here and they aren't playing either," said Thompson. "I don't want to see anybody get shot, but just their presence, maybe that will do something."