Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default College student carry on campus

Are any colleges in PA harassing students over their carry rights?

If any PA college student at a STATE college who holds a PA LTCF wants to talk to reporters on this, please contact me at Mike@OpenCarry.org.

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: College student carry on campus

This probably isn't relevant as I don't think Penn State is a "state" school, despite the massive amount of funding we provide them but here's a thread about a student being arrested for concealed carry at PSU. Later in the thread, a friend and then the actual person arrested follow up and make some posts.

http://www.pafoa.org/forum/news-123/...t-reports.html
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Jefferson County)

Colleges are private property. the School Offlimits law does not apply to colleges. However, since they are private property - they can say what is allowed on their lands just like you and I can with ours. ...that is their only legal standing.

Those who wanna carry on campus, just get a LTCF and keep it concealed.

(Lancaster County)

Penn State is a state school and firearms are not permitted on campus. It's only been in recent years that the campus police have been allowed to carry...

Edit to add, I went to Shippensburg many moons ago and guns were a no no there too.
    Last edited by LBaker; May 25th, 2007 at 12:12 PM.

How is Penn State not a state college?

Google people google
    From Penn States Website
    "Myth: Penn State is state-owned and operated.

Fact: Penn State is "state-related." It was incorporated in 1855 as a private entity but the Board of Trustees included representatives of state government, including the governor. The state legislature in 1863 named Penn State the Commonwealth’s sole land-grant institution, a designation that gave the University a broad mission of teaching, research, and public service. The legislature only occasionally granted funds to Penn State during the early years but since 1887 has made appropriations on a regular basis."

These are the only PA "State" Schools. Their titles are all "<school> University of Pennsylvania":

Bloomsburg
    California
    Cheyney
    Clarion
    East Stroudsburg
    Edinboro
    Indiana
    Kutztown
    Lock Haven
    Mansfield
    Millersville
    Shippensburg
    Slippery Rock
    West Chester
    Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth.- George Washington

"I thought Lycan was a she"-dragonofpa

State colleges are not private property, and it is not a crime to carry guns on campus in PA, nor in most states. Whether state college admin rules against gun carry on campus are enforceable is an open question. Am looking for students willing to start making a fuss over this issue. Tehre is no reason that PA state colleges could not do like Colo State Univ. administration did and voluntarily exempt LTCF holders from their campus gun bans.

Later, when the General Assembly gets more friendly to guns, we can get a Utah style state agency preemption law passed.

(Jefferson County)

OK, whether or not Penn State is a state campus - it is still does not fall under a elementary or secondary Education Center. Which is K-12..

note the red text, there is NO comma between "elementary or secondary" and " publicly-funded educational institution". So the law ONLY applies to elementary(K-6) and secondary schools(7-12) - whether private or state.

The only authority they have is with trespass law.

§912. Possession of Weapon on School Property.

(a) Definition.—Notwithstanding the definition of “weapon” in section 907 (relating to possessing instruments of crime), “weapon” for purposes of this section shall include but not be limited to any knife, cutting instrument, cutting tool, nun-chuck stick, firearm, shotgun, rifle and any other tool, instrument or implement capable of inflicting serious bodily injury.

(b) Offense defined.—A person commits a misdemeanor of the first degree if he possesses a weapon in the buildings of, on the grounds of, or in any conveyance providing transportation to or from any elementary or secondary publicly-funded educational institution, any elementary or secondary private school licensed by the Department of Education or any elementary or secondary parochial school.

(c) Defense—It shall be a defense that the weapon is pos*sessed and used in conjunction with a lawful supervised school activity or course or is possessed for other lawful purpose. (Added by L.1980, Act 167(1), eff. 12/15/80.)
    Last edited by knight0334; May 25th, 2007 at 12:39 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Well, I know PTI here gets public money for items, but carry is still a no-no on the books. Started up a petition, but a few prof's i trust told me I should back it off, they agree, but apparently the heads come down hard on people who like guns.

However I'm not against making a fuss still. If you can find out if Pittsburgh Technical Institute Qualifies. I'm game.

(Philadelphia County)

I just graduated DCCC an i've carried there every day for the past year and a half. Never got caught, but i'm sure what the consiquence would have been. I'm transferring to temple where I will continue to carry and hopefully not be caught. I'll gladly talk to you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast