Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default thoughts on the Walther PK380?

just saw this gun for the first time, and ive been really interested in getting a small summer carry gun because sometimes the Sig P226 is just too big to be comfortable.

i like the size and feel of the P22 and seeing how the PK380 is pretty damn similar, and a 380 has a bit more punch then the .22, im considering this pistol. specially since the starting price is somewhere around $340 or so.

any one have any experience or own one, or have any thoughts on them? good, bad, neutral?

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Berks County)

Default Re: thoughts on the Walther PK380?

Well, it's a Walther, and it's based on the P22, so the quality should be there. But isn't it kinda big for summer concealed-carry?

Seems as though the PPK would be the way to go there - or its Bersa Thunder equivalent. My 0.02.

(Monroe County)

heres the specs from walther on the PPK and PK380

Model-: PPK/S
    Caliber-: .380ACP
    Barrel Length: 3.35"
    Dimensions, L/H/W: 6.1"/4.3"/.98"
    Weight (without Mag): 22.4 oz.
    Magazine Capacity: 7 Rounds

Model-: PK380
    Caliber-: .380 ACP
    Barrel Length: 3.66"
    Dimensions, L/H/W: 6.5"/5.2"/1.2"
    Weight (w/mag): 19.4 oz.
    Capacity: 8+1 Rounds

its barely larger then a PPK/S, but weighs less with a full mag, then the PPK/S does without a mag. holds 2 more rounds also. and its half the price of the PPK/S, hence why im considering this seriously. ive looked at the SIG P238 but it just doesnt do anything for me, and im a SIG guy.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

I just bought the walther PK380. The recoil is nice and smooth and its a very accurate gun. As far as concealing the gun, I have worn it on the small of my back and have used a nylon pancake holster the forms to your body. Wearing it with a pancake holster was the most comfortable and easy way to keep it concealed. I'm 6'2'' 230 lbs (36 waist and 2XL shirt size) and person skinier than me maybe have more difficulty concealing it than myself.

Now the only 2 things I DON'T like about the gun.

First is the de-cocking procedure. These are Walther's instructions (well not word for word but close). Point the firearm in a safe direction. Place the gun on saftey. Place your thumb on the hammer. SLOWLY squeeze the triger. Once the hammer begins to move forward, release the triger.

Since when should you be able to pull the triger on a gun and the hammer moves forward when the gun is on saftey? I guess I'm just used to the de-cock on Berettas and Sigs.

The second thing is kinda petty but to feild strip it or clean it, there is a plastic key you need. Like I said, not to big of a deal, it's just not what I'm used to.

Hey, bringing this thread back, as to not make a new one.

I've been looking for a good first handgun for my mom to get, and she really liked how the PK380 felt to her while we were out looking around. We started out looking at getting something more along the lines of an SP101, then we came across one of these and she really liked how it fit her hand, and the fact that she could reach all the releases and everything. She had been leaning towards the revolvers due to having trouble working the slides on all of my guns, but she had no problems working the slide on the Walther, and I also thought the 380 would be a nice caliber for her to get used to shooting, while still being an acceptable defensive caliber for the time being.

I just wanted to see if anyone else had picked one of these up, since they are relatively new to the market, and had anything to say about them to help with the decision making.

Thanks.

(Monroe County)

Is the slide made of Zinc like the P22? Nice looking gun, but looking st the numbers my Kahr CW9 is more compact and weighs less and its a 9mm. But for some one who doesnt have a "summer gun" it would be a good buy.

nymzx

I believe the slide on the 380 is steel, not like the P22's slide.

Also, I know that this gun isn't a real compact gun, that's not what I was looking for...this is going to be for my mom, who's never really shot much and is interested in getting a defensive pistol.

Seeing that the PK380 is a lock breach design, is a smaller caliber, and isn't as small and light as some of the super compact 380s out right now, I think this should be a good gun for her to start out shooting with, and also be able to carry for protection.

It fits her hand well, she can operate all the releases easily without having to "reach" for the releases. Should be rather light in recoil, still a decent defense round, hopefully has the track record of Walther reliability too.

I wanted to see if anyone here has picked one up by now, and if so, what do you think about it. Anything good/bad to say? I value first hand experience, and figured I'd try here.

Thanks.

Thanks for the feed back. I'm looking into getting one as well. I don't carry so the larger size is not a problem. Read some not very good reviews on the P22 but love the guns Walther p22, 99 design. Best of luck with it and keep us informed on it's performance.

I was also looking at the PK380 and almost bought one, then I found the Bersa Thunder Plus 380. It feels just as good in my hand as the Walther. After considering all things I decided on the Bersa. The Plus model has a double stack magazine which holds 15 rds and comes with a lifetime warranty, where as the PK380 is made by Smith and Wesson and only has a 1 year warranty.

(Centre County)

When I first heard about PK380 last year, I got excited.
    My wife always loved how P22 fits her hand, and this new PK380 is only slightly bigger. And only slightly more expensive then P-22.
    But shoots bigger round.

I thought my search for perfect gun for my wife is over.

My shop said that he placed order for it. So I was gonna snatch up first one that show up. But he was put it in waiting list.

But then I started to hear some bad thing about it - Spotty quality, mainly, but also how slide will eat away the bottom of barrel, and questionable responses from Walther Warrenty dept.

Then one finaly showed up at my shop, and I saw one for the first time, and played with it.

It felt cheap.
    Its brand new gun, and bottom of barrel was already scratched up..
    Fit was sloppy..
    Mag rattled..
    Safety was stiff to operate.
    Decocking procedure(like cjaby76 mentioned) is odd.
    Require a tool(or plastic key) to field strip.
    And it felt cheap.

On the other hand, grip was nicely angled/shaped, perfect for my wife's small hand, slide was easy to operate(other then safety lever), DA trigger was reasonalble(although, bit on mushy side), SA trigger was decent. Clear sigh picture, and my wife actualy do like that odd location of Walther Mag release.

But in the end, I basicaly got the same feeling I got when I bought P22 - Nice, and great concept that was put in market without refining the product with spotty quality control. It felt more toy then a serious defence weapon, and both my wife and I felt that if we are gonna get PK380, it'll be after a revisions after walther work out all the bugs out of it(if ever, since current P22 is still no different then P22 I bought 3 years ago).

So instead of putting money down on PK380, we put money down on Walther P99QA...

Please do know that both my wife and I have never actualy fired PK380.
    Perhaps gun is pleasure to shoot and own, and all the bad things I heard about are only in case few and far between.
    But our first impression of the weapon in our hand was so unimpressive, we didn't care to find out how it shoots...
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast