Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lackawanna County)

Default People on terrorist watch list allowed to buy guns......

-

http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/...uns/index.html

People on terrorist watch list allowed to buy guns
    Story Highlights
    Report says more than 900 background checks conducted on watch list subjects

About 90 percent of those sales were allowed to proceed

Senator says he is introducing measure to curtail sales to "terrorists"

Watch list has been criticized as containing outdated information

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- When people on the government's terrorist watch list have tried to buy guns or explosives in recent years, the government has let them the vast majority of the time.

That's the finding of a new report by the Government Accountability Office, sent to lawmakers last month and released publicly Monday.

From February 2004 to February 2009, 963 background checks using the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System "resulted in valid matches with terrorist watch list records; of these matches, approximately 90 percent were allowed to proceed because the checks revealed no prohibiting information," the GAO report says. About 10 percent were denied.

"Under current law, there is no basis to automatically prohibit a person from possessing firearms or explosives because they appear on the terrorist watch list," wrote the GAO's director of homeland security and justice issues, Eileen R. Larence.

"Rather, there must be a disqualifying factor (i.e., prohibiting information) pursuant to federal or state law, such as a felony conviction or illegal immigration status."

Of the 963 background checks, 865 were allowed to proceed, and 98 were denied, the report said.

The GAO provided the report in response to a request from Sen. Frank Lautenberg, D-New Jersey. The GAO said Lautenberg had requested an update to a 2005 report.

In a statement Monday, Lautenberg said, "this new report is proof positive that known and suspected terrorists are exploiting a major loophole in our law, threatening our families and our communities. This 'terror gap' has been open too long, and our national security demands that we shut it down."

The statement said Lautenberg is introducing legislation that would give the U.S. attorney general "authority to stop the sale of guns or explosives to terrorists."

The National Rifle Association, the leading lobbyist group that espouses gun ownership rights, did not immediately respond to a call for comment.

The GAO notes that being on a terrorist watch list does not mean that someone is involved in any terrorist activity.

Last month, the Justice Department reported that the FBI had kept thousands of names on its watch list based on outdated information and should have removed them.

WOW!

I don't like the way they're going with this!
    The 'Terror Watch List' has OBVIOUS flaws.....we see it all the time. So-an-so is on the list and it's a child or a priest or a whatever. There sometimes doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to how some folks end up on the list.

If I inadvertently get on the list I cannot buy a gun?!?!?!

I DON'T like that!
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: People on terrorist watch list allowed to buy guns......

Quote Originally Posted by Gary in Pennsylvania View Post
    up on the list.

If I inadvertently get on the list I cannot buy a gun?!?!?!

I DON'T like that!
    If you inadvertently get on the list, you cannot know IF you are on the list or not, and you cannot know how to get off the list.

Or at least, the bureocratic hell to go through in order to get out of the list, puts anything Dante wrote to shame.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

(Luzerne County)

(Lackawanna County)

Damn!

I looked but didn't see one.
    The forum is so big/traffic anymore!

Mods - go ahead & merge or lock.
    Gary in Pennsylvania
    -------------------------------
    “No One Can Make You Feel Inferior Without Your Consent.” Eleanor Roosevelt
    “Argue For Your Limitations……And Sure Enough, They’re Yours.” Messiah's Handbook
    “The unexamined life is not worth living.” Socrates 399BC