Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Got bit by the Motorcycle bug today...

Hey y'all,

Wanted to write this for a couple of reasons:

1. For those that care, I'm back in Texas and doing reasonably well, though I'm already jonesing for a group shoot.

2. A friend of mine decided to buy a motorcycle, a Suzuki 650CC crotch rocket. When I asked him if he was insane (starting on a Crotch rocket), he suggested I take it around the parking lot of the local high school a few times, and then tell him whether I thought he was nuts.

Being a moron, I took him up on the offer, and I swear to God, Motorcycles are like 2-wheeled cocaine! I had the time of my life on that thing, even if my arms were sore, my hands were killing me, and my hips were worse! Rode for about 45 minutes around the lot, started with start-stop drills, then basic turning, then speed bumps (Kinda had to because of the parking lot) and the like.

Leave it to me to find the one hobby that's more expensive than shooting...

Still, damn. Had a great time, wanted to know if a non crotch rocket bike (preferably an 800CC or so...) would be similar, but a bit more comfortable?

One thing I have to throw out there: a deputy rolled into the parking lot while my friend, his brother, my father and I were taking turns on the bike....and got out of the car, introduced himself, shot the breeze for fifteen minutes or so, and then wished us a nice day and left, exceptionally positive LEO encounter- which tends to reinforce my support for the blue line.
    VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

(Perry County)

Default Re: Got bit by the Motorcycle bug today...

Well, I can't personally speak to the differences in comfort between a cruiser and a sport bike, as I've never ridden a crotch rocket and I'm sure it will vary for every person. However, I do know that my ex-brother in law had a sport bike for a few years, and he got rid of it because his back hurt too much for him to ride it much. He switched to a cruiser and has never looked back...

Also, I ride a cruiser and I've never had my hands, arms, or hips get tired or sore from riding...

(after edit: And I happen to have an 800cc cruiser I'd be willing to discuss a price on... I love the thing, but I've kinda outgrown it and my wife says it is ready to get something bigger with a more comfy passenger seat (not going to argue if she tells me to get a new bike!))
    - I support Israel; "If guns kill people my pencil causes bad spelling."

(Monroe County)

All are different. You have to adjust for your body. Too low of bars or if the bike has rear-sets and it will throw the weight on your shoulders. I like cruisers or even sport/cruisers. I`m not comfortable on long rides on full on sport bikes. They are fun on short blasts.
    Look at some of the naked bikes or sport/touring or even the duel sports. Plenty of performance with a more neutral seating position. The old Honda CBR100XX Blackbird was an awesome bike yet had a somewhat neutral seat.

(Schuylkill County)

Sportbikes have lower bars that are more forward than other bikes, which leads to being bent over the tank more. It is more of a racing position than a comfortable riding position. If you like the performance of a sportbike without the racing riding position, there are several mid-level bikes out there. I have (had...in the process of selling) a 2005 Yamaha FZ6. It has the R6 crotch-rocket style motor in it but it is a more relaxed and upright riding position.

Like Exbiker said, all bikes ride and sit differently. You got the bug. Now shop around til you find what feels good. Test ride as many friends bikes as they will allow as most dealerships dont do test rides. However, keep your eyes out for Demo Days at dealerships. They bring in factory demo bikes for you to ride. Also, look into the MSF course since you are a beginner. Bikes are supplied by the instructors and when the course is finished, you walk away with your Class M license.

(Delaware County)

I love that, "dog hanging his head out the window" freedom feel!!!
    I rode a Poker Run and many miles yesterday! But then, as a rule, my bikes are my main transport! I have a PU Truck, it has 10,000 miles on it. Bikes have 87,000 and 30,000 miles respectively.
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Personally, I don't care for the sport bikes. They're uncomfortable and I don't need to accellerate to 100 mph in 3 seconds to have fun.

I love my cruiser.

Does Texas offer a motorcycle safety course? If so then take it. Even if it's just as a refresher.... take it.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Adams County)

I don't know what bike your friend had that you rode, but if it was something like a GSXR, thats a full sport bike. Something like a Katana is a Sport-touring bike and has a little more upright position.

I believe the V-Strom also has a more up-right position, but it's not a cruiser. It actually has a bit more ground clearance and is kind of like a dual-sport.

Then of course the full-on cruiser with forward controls.

Suzuki changed their cruiser line up a coupl e years ago. Now they have M, C, S models with number to represent their Cubic Inch motors. I think the M models have more of a mid-controls instead of forward controls.

Go find a LARGE dealership and look around, sit on some stuff.
    Adams County Sport Handgunners Association - President

(Montgomery County)

if you are supporting your weight with your arms and shoulders on the bars... you are doing it wrong.

on a sportbike you primarily support your body with your legs, NOT resting on your arms... this causes fatigue, hand and wrist numbness, and back and shoulder joint pain... sorta like trying to stay in a pushup position for a long time... who does that? nobody, cuz it sucks and it hurts.

they make the sportbikes with knee dents in the fairings and tank for a reason, and it so you can support yourself by gripping the tank and sides of the bike

not all sportbikes are alike, some have better and worse seating positions, some have really awful seats you dont want to sit on for long, others have great comfy seats. Most sportbikes come with adjustable or replaceable bars for height, and can get different controls, rearsets, and lot of other things to add to comfort. Most true sportbikes, and supersportbikes are not made for long hours of touring just by nature.

having tried out cruisers AND sportbikes, I prefer my Katana 750(which is classed as a sport/touring) mostly because it handles the twisties great, has plenty of speed for anything else, and is VERY comfortable for long rides, and has a slightly more upright seating position than usual.

plus, I cant stand any bike with a seating position that feels like yer sitting in lawnchair with a beer in yer hand, handles like a pig, and scrapes bits of itself off on the road making simple turns. i used to ride horses a lot when young, so the sportbike horseriding position feels more natural to me.

Add to that you have to be in a modicum of shape to ride a sportbike comfortably, there IS a reason a lot of really fat slobs ride cruisers, and its generally cuz the big cruiser fits their lumpiness

as per riding differences, cruisers usually have a low center of gravity, thus are better for slower speed handling, but the tradeoff is at higher speeds, they aren't as maneuverable on twisty roads, plus they are usually low on handling clearance resulting in scraping pipes and other things when trying to make hard handling at speed...also they are usually fairly heavy.

sportbikes generally have a high center of gravity, and a LOT of clearance, making them a little awkward in very slow maneuvers, but the clearance allows you to have excessive lean angles for handling serious turns and curves. they are built a lot lighter in general, so acceleration can be amazing, and the lighter weight makes the bike a lot easier to control at higher speeds.

if the Suzuki you rode was a 650CC, it was probably either a SV650 twin sportbike, or a newer GSX650F...which would be a inline 4... these engines also have different ride characteristics that would affect how the bike works... and how much power you have to input to the bike to control it with your body.

i suggest taking the MSF course to learn the "how to ride basics", then try out some bikes, see what appeals to you more.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JayBell View Post
    Add to that you have to be in a modicum of shape to ride a sportbike comfortably, there IS a reason a lot of really fat slobs ride cruisers, and its generally cuz the big cruiser fits their lumpiness

Hey now!! well.... ok... I sort of resemble that remark, except for the "really" and "slob" parts.

As for the other part.... well.... I've dragged my foot boards a couple of times.

Last edited by PisnNapalm; June 22nd, 2009 at 03:07 PM.
    Μολὼν λάβε

I appreciate all of the inputs, a couple of things came to mind that may have impacted the way the bike rode:

1. Yeah, I'm a pretty big dude, 6'1", and around 280 lbs. Some of it's even muscle!

2. My friend (the guy who owns the bike) is 5'5", and about 140. He lowered the hell out of the seat so that his feet could touch the ground, and I'd imagine set the bar lower, too.

As far as an MSF course goes, it's in the planning stages, once funding becomes available. More specifically, my plan is this, in order of importance as discretionary funding becomes available:

1. MSF class
    2. Class M license
    3. Helmet/jacket/gloves/boots
    4. Go bike shopping
    5. Buy Bike
    6. Re-take MSF course with my bike
    7. Start riding

Sound logical, or paranoid?

Who'd have thought that a couple of hours in a parking lot could turn out to be so expensive....

Then again, who'd have thought that a brick of .22LR and a farmer's field could create a lifelong addiction for some people? Crazy, crazy world we live in....
    VMJade
    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast