Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default References on application?

Hello all,

I imagine this topic has been beat to death but I was not able to find any info. I am moving to Pittsburgh from Indiana for work. The website for Allegheny county to apply for a LTCF says I must provide two references, they must live in PA, and they must not be family members.

I am not trying to whine, but what's a guy to do if he doesn't have these references? The only two people I know who live in PA are my sister and her husband. I've met her husband's parents in the past, they live in PA, but I would hardly call them references. Is there some way to solve this problem? I have a LTCH from Indiana, but I doubt that would waive the reference issue.

I am glad to play by the rules, but this isn't very welcoming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Josh

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: References on application?

In armstrong county they dont even call them, with this in mind, ask a co-worker or something, mabey your brotherin laws parents. Also use your brother in law as he is not technically related. After all your sister would have been able to marry him if he was. IANAL

Thank you pyromaniak.

I was able to find some other threads that discuss this topic, and the (lack of) legal requirement for references to be in county or in state.

I can ask my brother in law but his parents are kinda nuts, I don't need them on the list. Murphy's law, they'd call if I listed these crazy folks. Coworkers don't need involved in my personal business. I keep my personal life and work life separated because the overwhelming majority are clueless sheeple.

I will list out of state references and we shall see what happens. They can't make me know someone

(Allegheny County)

I had this same problem since most of my friends are liberals. I don't want people freaking out.

I picked my office mates. They asked me why I needed a gun, is there statistically a realistic threat since I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in town, was I afraid, and if so, is the fear rationally justifiable and exceeding the risks of gun ownership (shooting oneself), would I have a proper ROE that would not escalate a situation into a deadly one (like drawing when being mugged with a gun), would the security provided by the gun make me less risk averse and willing to walk in dangerous areas (probably).

In the end, they didn't think I *really* needed one but were respectful enough to say, "we'll support your right to carry one, please be careful."

And I'll reward them by taking them shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundslikejosh View Post
    Hello all,

I imagine this topic has been beat to death but I was not able to find any info. I am moving to Pittsburgh from Indiana for work. The website for Allegheny county to apply for a LTCF says I must provide two references, they must live in PA, and they must not be family members.

I am not trying to whine, but what's a guy to do if he doesn't have these references? The only two people I know who live in PA are my sister and her husband. I've met her husband's parents in the past, they live in PA, but I would hardly call them references. Is there some way to solve this problem? I have a LTCH from Indiana, but I doubt that would waive the reference issue.

I am glad to play by the rules, but this isn't very welcoming.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Josh
    PA honors your Indiana LTCH, that should do until you get to know folks.

I can't believe you are trying to sneak off, either.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove View Post
    I had this same problem since most of my friends are liberals. I don't want people freaking out.

I picked my office mates. They asked me why I needed a gun, is there statistically a realistic threat since I live in one of the safest neighborhoods in town, was I afraid, and if so, is the fear rationally justifiable and exceeding the risks of gun ownership (shooting oneself), would I have a proper ROE that would not escalate a situation into a deadly one (like drawing when being mugged with a gun), would the security provided by the gun make me less risk averse and willing to walk in dangerous areas (probably).

In the end, they didn't think I *really* needed one but were respectful enough to say, "we'll support your right to carry one, please be careful."

Exactly why references should not be used. Your right to carry should not depend on what other people think of that right, or of you for that matter. The burden should be on the government to prove that you should not have your rights.

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceAndLove View Post
    I

Sweet Jumpin Jeepers!

They never heard of criminals traveling?!?
    The Bad Guys steal cars, as well as guns and money.

Don't YOU ever plan to travel?

Exactly who thinks this is a reasonable statement: "i don't need a LTCF because I live in a safe neighborhood and never go anywhere and nobody ever comes here." ?

NEED!?! You need it because you want to exercise your 2A rights.
    That's need enough.

Sorry - maybe I am in a snotty mood, but that "need" BS" rubs me the wrong way.

Please, take them shooting. Clip a few headlines about Amish schoolhouse shootings and about clerks foiling robberies by fighting back.

They can be converted, probably.

(York County)

Just put down whoever you can. 9/10 times, they dont even call the references. I know in York County they dont. They didnt contact my references, and I know of at least 5 different people that i know that have LTCF's and none of their references were checked either. I think its more of a time issue, they just do the background check, and issue the LTCF, they usually dont wanna be bothered with references, its time consuming.

(Berks County)

Don't your references have to be in the same county you apply in not just in the state of Pa? Maybe they don't check references any more but they did when I received my initial LTCF.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by Donnie Brasco
    If I vouch for this guy and he f***s up -- I'll put a bullet in his f***ing head.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast