Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Monroe County)

Default Recommend a .22lr revolver?

Can anyone recommend a .22lr revolver?

must be 2-4 inch barrel, finish doesnt matter.
    Preferably with adjustable sights

I searched Smith & Wessons sight and sadly they have nothing listed except 2 classic revolvers, listed at over a thousand dollars. I dont need that .

Any other maker makes .22lr da revolvers?

Thanks, nyman

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Recommend a .22lr revolver?

Here's what I have concluded with 22lr revolvers. The one's I have shot have all given occasional light primer stikes..that is..in either SA or DA(mostly DA), trigger is pulled and nothing happens. Next time around it'll probably fire. They are better than semi's as pickiness of ammo will dictate whether slide cycles on semi's.
    Taurus makes a fair to decent 22 revolver. They are worth it if you get a good deal, say under $250 for used blued 4" model 94 in EC.
    H&R makes them, but I have no experience.
    Ruger makes the single-six, but it is SA only, and a huge PITA to load/unload, IMO. Prices are decent at around $300-450.
    High Standard also made 22 revolvers. Look for the ones that have a spring on the ejector rod as some older ones didn't and you could scratch up the gun if not careful, althought the finish on them is nothing to write home about. Prices for HS range from poor condition @ $125/150 to good condition @ $300.

Those are the only ones I have experience with or know about besides S&W.
    Good luck with your decision and post pics when you get it.

(Susquehanna County)

Search the used market for S&W K-22 Masterpiece (now Model 617) or .22/.32 Kit Gun (now Model 317 or Model 63). Try gunbroker, gunsamerica and auctionarms to get a feel for prices and availability, then search the local shops.

FWIW, S&W is hurting themselves pricing themselves right out of the market!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Bucks County)

if you're looking for a 22 revolver i swear i've seen some SW snub nose's for a hell of a lot less than 1000 bucks. i know taurus makes 22 LR and 22 magnum revolvers for reasonable prices. taurus makes pretty good revolvers and they cost less than SW so you're best bet is going with taurus. if you're willing to look at semiauto 22 pistols there are plenty of brands to choose from. in my opinion the ruger and browning buckmark are the two best 22 semiautos on the market. with that said SW, CZ, walther and beretta all make decent 22 cal pistols.as much as i like sig pistols stay away from their 22's because while accurate they are notoriously unrelaible. i had a sig mosquito that malfunctioned routinely and now i have p220 22 cal from sig and it's just as unreliable as the mosquito, looks cool but doesn't function worth crap.

Smile Re: Recommend a .22lr revolver?

I bought a S&W .22 kit gun with a 4" bbl in nickel about 10 year ago now for around $250. The gun was and still is in near mint condition and all original. It is a very good shooter, I have only put a couple of boxes of shells though it. I carry it if I am out fishing or when I figure I wont need a true hunting .22, if I do I take my model 41 S&W for that or my T/C scoped single shot.
    I have still seen these guns in local gun shops from time to time for around $300-$350, mostly in blue though. But for a nice light and accurate .22 it is a hard gun to beat.
    I have a Taurus 9 shot .22 with a 6" bbl on it, and it is a good gun, but the smith will still out shoot it even with the 4" bbl.
    I would suggest hitting some of the local gun shops and the auction sites until I could find a S&W. I think it would be worth your time to do so. IMHO anyway.
    Good luck with what ever you find.

The Ruger Bearcat is a really neat little single action revolver, small, light, a great trail gun.

It does have fixed sights, though.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Bucks County)

The Taurus 94 sees to be decent. They are available in a blued finish as well as stainless with 2" or 4" barrels.
    The H&R models seem to have to been well-made, with the only complaint being hard triggers. Look for the Model 6XX (6-round) and Model 9XX (9-round) variants.
    The NEF models were nearly identical to the H&R Model 9XX, but sold at a lower price point.
    The High Standard revolvers were very nice. Note that they were also sold by Sears under the JC Higgins brand.
    The Charter Arms Pathfinder series includes 6-round, 2"/4" barrel models made in stainless steel. Opinions vary widely on overall quality, but I'd consider one myself.

(Lehigh County)

S&W home page has 2 pages of 22lr guns, the second page has (4) revolvers.
    I just got one Hanndgunner in Topton, PA for $669. It's a 4inch 10 shot.
    And it is sweet.

(Montgomery County)

As said in quite a few ways above. Buy an S&W second-hand and then only the 6 shot variety. I would look at the 6" K-17. they do come up at times. I picked mine up years ago for a song at of all places Targetmaster, as they did not know what it really was (just at the time that Glocks were becoming popular and they could not dispose of their revolvers). Their loss, my gain. If you are fixated on the 4", then there are the Kit guns and even the Model 18, which is the cheaper fixed sight variety. Ignore the rest!! Dave_n

(Allegheny County)

Charter Arms Pathfinder
    There are three kinds of people in this world....them what's good at math and them what ain't.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast