Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Question Your word against theirs

What should you do if you are OCing, and someone calls the cops and says you pointed your gun at them..... This DID NOT happen to me, but I can see it could happen to anyone that OC's, because people can be jerks. What would you do? This post was started because this question popped into my head after reading the post

Guns drawn and surrounded by 12 of moon townships finest tonight
    Last edited by Armed_in_Lancity; June 19th, 2009 at 06:02 PM.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Your word against theirs

They need to prove it. without a police officer watching it happen or video evidence, their word, doesnt matter. (thats how we would like it to be) I don't know how the police will react, but I'm sure theres a great chance of ending up in the court room to settle what really happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

The police will almost certainly jack you up. They will assume by default that the dispatch is accurate, and that you are lying.

This is certainly a possibility, but I have yet to experience anything close to it. Figure on this. Someone would really have to have it in for you to do this. It isn't going to just be "He pointed his gun at me". There is going to have to be an explanation of what happened, how it happened, etc. People aren't that good at making stuff up as they go along and then being able to stick to it. If they really want to get you, it is going to cost them in terms of time and effort as well, appearing at hearings, and such. And in the end, it will be that person who eventually pays for making false reports.

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    This is certainly a possibility, but I have yet to experience anything close to it. Figure on this. Someone would really have to have it in for you to do this. It isn't going to just be "He pointed his gun at me". There is going to have to be an explanation of what happened, how it happened, etc. People aren't that good at making stuff up as they go along and then being able to stick to it. If they really want to get you, it is going to cost them in terms of time and effort as well, appearing at hearings, and such. And in the end, it will be that person who eventually pays for making false reports.
    ^^ makes the most sense, rep broken, shattered into oblivion
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Allegheny County)

This is certainly a possibility, but I have yet to experience anything close to it.
    Likeliest way for it to happen, and it has happened, is after you draw down in self-defense. The mugger/assailant/thuglet then calls the police, telling the true story of their attack, but starring you with your gun as the attacker.

Second most likely way is after an altercation in which the gun was never drawn. Ticked off party calls the cops and accurately describes the incident, but embellishes with you waving your gun.

Very distant last is an angry lib who sees you OC and makes up a story out of whole cloth.

(Luzerne County)

Rep sent and good post

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    Likeliest way for it to happen, and it has happened, is after you draw down in self-defense. The mugger/assailant/thuglet then calls the police, telling the true story of their attack, but starring you with your gun as the attacker.

Second most likely way is after an altercation in which the gun was never drawn. Ticked off party calls the cops and accurately describes the incident, but embellishes with you waving your gun.

Very distant last is an angry lib who sees you OC and makes up a story out of whole cloth.
    The first one is one you should be calling the cops too. The Second I don't know depends on the incident and how it played out if you should call or not. Third would be one of those WTF moments.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam-12 View Post
    It is possible, but the people against whom you would be drawing are not likely to call the cops. I have drawn twice in social situations, and no one ever called the cops on me. It is amazing though, how behavior can change with the presence of a gun.

(Lackawanna County)

Just tell the cops that you don't draw your weapon unless you're going to use it. If the other person isn't there (which would most likely be the case if it was a pissed off lib) it ends up being your word against no ones. If it were a criminal that would be found out when they identified both of you, most likely. If it were someone who hates you, it might just end up going to court.

(Northampton County)

"Beyond a reasonable doubt."

While you may have to go to trial, the state would have to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that you committed a crime involving having drawn a gun on someone. Any lawyers can feel free to correct me, but I doubt the word of one person is going to be sufficient to prove that. It could potentially be a hassle, though.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast