Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Allegheny County Park - Rules - Does this need challenging?

All this talk about being able to carry in parks got me thinking about the parks near my house where we frequent with the dog, particularly White Oak Park, in White Oak, PA.

I went to the White Oak Park website off of a google search and clicked on the link for rules...Actually this is the link for ALL Allegheny County Park Rules!

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/rules.aspx

Allegheny County Parks:
    Boyce Park
    Deer Lakes Park
    Harrison Hills Park
    Hartwood
    North Park
    Round Hill Park
    Settler's Cabin Park
    South Park
    White Oak Park

Section 8. Weapons and Explosives

a. Discharge of any firearm or weapon including but not limited to handguns, rifles, shotguns, crossbow, bow and arrow, air rifle or pistol, any devise firing a projectile by compressed gas or spring, such as paintball devices or as otherwise specifically allowed by permit issued by the Parks Department;

b. Brandishing of a firearm or weapon including but not limited to handguns, rifles, shotguns, crossbow, bow and arrow, air riffle or pistol, any devise firing a projectile by compressed gas or spring, such as paintball devices except as otherwise specifically allowed by permit issued by the Parks Department. Firearms may be transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise inaccessible to use. Nothing contained herein shall prohibit any person licensed under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, 18. P.S. §6109 from possession of a firearm as defined in Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, 18 P.S. §6102.

Bold/Underline by me.
    So you don't have to go look it up...their references to UFA 18

18 P.S. §6102
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 deals with licensing (LTCF and what it covers, how to apply, etc.).

What the Park Rule seems to indicate to me is that they believe you need to have an LTCF to carry in the park. That is not correct, if I walk there OC, since this is a County Park, am I not legally allowed to enter the park? I think I am.
    Last edited by falcn; June 19th, 2009 at 12:00 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Allegheny County Park - Rules - Does this need challenging?

The way I read it, possession is not banned. Discharging and brandishing is prohibited, and I think the clause about LTCF holders is just clarification - that sentence does not confer any additional rights or privileges.

Not a lawyer though...

ETA - I was a little off...the wording does not allow OC...they snuck it in under the transport section of the second cited regulation. I think a letter/appearance at a meeting is in order informing them of preemption. The inclusion of the sentence at the end of the second cited regulation makes it seem like they wouldn't be stubborn mules about informing them of the preemption statute.
    Last edited by US Militiaman; June 19th, 2009 at 11:56 AM.
    And don't think you're off the hook, voters, you're the ones who made this bed. Now you're the ones who are going to have to move over so a gay couple can sleep in it. Tomorrow you're all going to wake up in a brave new world, a world where the Constitution gets trampled by an army of terrorist clones, created in a stem-cell research lab run by homosexual doctors who sterilize their instruments over burning American flags. -- Stephen Colbert

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    All this talk about being able to carry in parks got me thinking about the parks near my house where we frequent with the dog, particularly White Oak Park, in White Oak, PA.

I went to the White Oak Park website off of a google search and clicked on the link for rules...Actually this is the link for ALL Allegheny County Park Rules!

http://www.alleghenycounty.us/parks/rules.aspx

Allegheny County Parks:
    Boyce Park
    Deer Lakes Park
    Harrison Hills Park
    Hartwood
    North Park
    Round Hill Park
    Settler's Cabin Park
    South Park
    White Oak Park

Section 8. Weapons and Explosives

a. Discharge of any firearm or weapon including but not limited to handguns, rifles, shotguns, crossbow, bow and arrow, air rifle or pistol, any devise firing a projectile by compressed gas or spring, such as paintball devices or as otherwise specifically allowed by permit issued by the Parks Department;

b. Brandishing of a firearm or weapon including but not limited to handguns, rifles, shotguns, crossbow, bow and arrow, air riffle or pistol, any devise firing a projectile by compressed gas or spring, such as paintball devices except as otherwise specifically allowed by permit issued by the Parks Department. Firearms may be transported through the Park if kept in a car trunk, enclosed in a case, or otherwise inaccessible to use. Nothing contained herein shall prohibit any person licensed under the Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, 18. P.S. §6109 from possession of a firearm as defined in Pennsylvania Uniform Firearms Act, 18 P.S. §6102.

Bold/Underline by me.
    So you don't have to go look it up...their references to UFA 18

18 P.S. §6102
    "Firearm." Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

18 Pa.C.S. § 6109 deals with licensing (LTCF and what it covers, how to apply, etc.).

What the Park Rule seems to indicate to me is that they believe you need to have an LTCF to carry in the park. That is not correct, if I walk there OC, since this is a County Park, am I not legally allowed to enter the park? I think I am.

*Red bold is mine*

I agree. Looks like they may be attempting to regulate OC, or transport, or some combination of the two.

Furthermore, I don't understand where they get the authority to create rules or laws regarding brandishing. There are no laws regarding brandishing at the state level.

This looks like a good opportunity to get to know the Park officials, clear this up.

While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Allegheny County)

This is being worked on as we type! we have people behind the scenes setting up a picnic
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by renegadephoenix View Post
    This is being worked on as we type! we have people behind the scenes setting up a picnic
    OOOHH , I love a picnic. It just so happens I will be over there, Finleyville, next weekend. I might go over and do a little power walk in South Park up and back on Corrigan dr.

(Allegheny County)

Ok cool.

Was there a post on this that I missed?
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Allegheny County)

ShawnL and Tony Fly are working on it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

(Allegheny County)

ShawnL and Tony Fly are working on it.
    Can we wait that long? I won't be able to carry my gun when I am that old....

kidding
    FNX-9 Two-tone

I'm not really seeing a problem.........
    can someone enlighten me as to the issue?

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by fingers80002 View Post
    I'm not really seeing a problem.........
    can someone enlighten me as to the issue?
    If you read the park rules you have to carry concealed with a LTCF.
    Their trying to regulate OC

An OC Activist and 1 of the 3%
    Ed Stephan
    FeedBack: https://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.p...ight=edstephan
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3790&dateline=1331561  797An OathKeeper and OC Activist, 1 of the 3%, Ed Stephan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast