Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Question carrying rifles in a vehicle

hey guys - sorry if it's been asked already, but is it legal to carry an unloaded rifle in your car? something not defined as a firearm by pa law...........

and second, can you carry a loaded rifle if you have a permit to carry?

thanks, d

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: carrying rifles in a vehicle

1) Yes, provided the gun and ammo are in seperate containers (example; gun case & ammo box)

1a) What are you refering to by "not defined as a firearm"? An SBR?

2) No, unless you are a police officer, military or one of the other exceptions allowed by law. A CCW does NOT allow you to carry anything loaded in a vehicle, other than a handgun.
    Last edited by Steve in PA; May 23rd, 2007 at 03:00 PM.

One of the quirks of the law is that we can carry loaded short-barreled rifles in the car with a License to Carry Firearms, since the default definition of "firearm" includes SBR's and SBS's, and the ban on carrying loaded rifles only applies to guns "other than firearms".

Whether it's wise to carry a loaded SBR for self-defense is another issue, since to most people it's the same as carrying a hand grenade into the mall and then arguing that you didn't expect any trouble.

And "most people" will be the ones on your jury.

(Bucks County)

like for instance - could you have an ar15 or a shotgun on your back seat unloaded? or on a rifle rack in your truck and keep the mags in a glovebox or in case behind the seat? or does everything have to be in your locked trunk?

again, appreciate your time,

d

(Luzerne County)

Nothing needs to be in a trunk. Just unloaded and in seperate containers. A gun rack is fine. Just keep the ammo in a container, like a ammo can, glove box, etc.

(Beaver County)

Let me see if I can break this down:

being that:

"Loaded."
    A firearm is loaded if the firing chamber, the nondetachable magazine or, in the case of a revolver, any of the chambers of the cylinder contain ammunition capable of being fired. In the case of a firearm which utilizes a detachable magazine, the term shall mean a magazine suitable for use in said firearm which magazine contains such ammunition and has been inserted in the firearm or is in the same container or, where the container has multiple compartments, the same compartment thereof as the firearm.
    and
    "Firearm."
    Any pistol or revolver with a barrel length less than 15 inches, any shotgun with a barrel length less than 18 inches or any rifle with a barrel length less than 16 inches, or any pistol, revolver, rifle or shotgun with an overall length of less than 26 inches. The barrel length of a firearm shall be determined by measuring from the muzzle of the barrel to the face of the closed action, bolt or cylinder, whichever is applicable.

and
    (a) General rule.--Except as provided in Title 34 (relating to game), no person shall carry a loaded pistol, revolver, shotgun or rifle, other than a firearm as defined in section 6102 (relating to definitions), in any vehicle. The provisions of this section shall not apply to persons excepted from the requirement of a license to carry firearms under section 6106(b)(1), (2), (5) or (6) (relating to firearms not to be carried without a license) nor shall the provisions of this section be construed to permit persons to carry firearms in a vehicle where such conduct is prohibited by section 6106.

Ta Da!

The above has only to do with rifles and shotguns. Short barreled weapons are covered under your Liscense to Carry Firearms since the definition of a firearm includes a SG w/ bbl less than 18" and a rifle w/ bbl less than 16"

In the past, when I understood all this to mean I could NOT havea loaded mag in the car, I misread the first sentence of the definition of "loaded" as any DETACHABLE mag, not nondetachable.

(Bucks County)

now - another question - when the law says barrel length of less than 16 inches on a rifle, does the flash supressor/ muzzle break count as part of the barrel?

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by dwhite725 View Post
    now - another question - when the law says barrel length of less than 16 inches on a rifle, does the flash supressor/ muzzle break count as part of the barrel?
    Only if it's permanently attached. I have an AR15 with a 14.5 inch barrel and a welded on phantom FH which brings the OAL to just over 16 inches.

(Allegheny County)

Ok just was thinking back to the redneck with a shotgun rack in the truck. So, is it legal to have a shotgun say in my backseat loaded? I have my LTCF. Not that I'm really planning on this, just got me thinking.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Skuggi View Post
    Ok just was thinking back to the redneck with a shotgun rack in the truck. So, is it legal to have a shotgun say in my backseat loaded? I have my LTCF. Not that I'm really planning on this, just got me thinking.
    Not loaded, the LTCF does not cover loaded rifles, though I believe it's only a summary offense...don't take my word for it, I haven't looked at that in maybe 2 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast