Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default SGL 157 public range (Bucks Co.)

Hi all,

First post for me, being a new Pennsylvania resident (for the 2nd time in my life, actually. I was born out here, but the family moved to NJ for Dad's work). I'm glad I found this site.. I've found tons of great info so far!

I used to belong to Quinton Sportsmen's Club in Salem County, NJ.. but since I moved it's just too far away. I have been looking into the PA public ranges, and have read all the ups and downs of them (mostly downs)

There don't seem to be many SGL ranges that have provisions for pistols, and in fact the only on that's even remotely near me is SGL 157 near Quakertown. The state website says it's supposed to reopen in 2009, but there has been no update. Does anyone know if it has reopened, or if there is a target (heh) date?

Any info would be appreciated!! Or, if anyone knows of an outdoor range that can accomodate pistols and rimfire rifle (100 to 200m) near Levittown that isn't a hassle to join, I would love to hear it!

I have been to Classic Pistol, and am going to check out RAF next week, but I'm looking for something outdoors as well.

Sorry for the long post!

Thanks!
    Chris

(Bucks County)

Default Re: SGL 157 public range (Bucks Co.)

SGL 157, or the Nockamixon firing range, is scheduled to re-open in the Fall of this year.

(Bucks County)

Awesome, thanks for the info!

C

(Philadelphia County)

Just curious, anyone know of the date the range will reopen? I know it will be sometime this fall but I am eager for it to reopen since it is the only outdoor range in the area where I can shoot 100 yards. Also, anyone know why the place was close for this long?

Thanks for any info.

(Bucks County)

wicens range is pretty decent but it's not free like the state ranges are. wicens is on suger bottom road in jamison, pa which is about a 30-45 minute drive from levittown. if you've been to classic pistol continue west on street road and make a right on york road (RT 263), take york road until you see suger bottom and make a right. while you're up that way checkout tanners sport center also on york road they have a great shop and it's worth the ride just to check them out.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by wellcraft View Post
    wicens range is pretty decent but it's not free like the state ranges are. wicens is on suger bottom road in jamison, pa which is about a 30-45 minute drive from levittown. if you've been to classic pistol continue west on street road and make a right on york road (RT 263), take york road until you see suger bottom and make a right. while you're up that way checkout tanners sport center also on york road they have a great shop and it's worth the ride just to check them out.
    Thank you for the info. I read about Wicens but I'm not very comfortable with having people staring at you the whole time while you're shooting. I know it is all for the safety of the range but I guess I'm one of those few that is uncomfortable like that. When I was visiting down at Maryland a few weeks ago, me and my cousin went down toward Alexander, VA to a place called Clark Brothers gun shop which has a very nice 100 yards range in the back of the store. The range is free but you have to purchase ammo there and there are usually a range officer watching over the place and to enforce the range rule but not overly critical. The price of the ammo is pretty good, not overly expensive. Overall, very comfortable shooting environment. If you're visiting in the MD/VA area and wanting to check out an outdoor shooting ranges, Clark is a great place to try.

In the mean time, I guess I will wait till the Nockamixon range reopen.

Thanks.

(Bucks County)

Greetings,

FWIW, at our club meeting (Springtown R&G) Monday there was a PA game ranger who came in to discuss some changes in the hunting regs for the upcoming season. When he finished his presentation, he asked for any questions. I inquired about the SGL 157. He said that EPA (or PA EPA) had finished up some water quality testing and that sometime NEXT year a bid would be put out for the construction updates. So, best possibility we could hope for would be some time in 2010, but personally I wouldn't hold my breath.

Regards, Jim

(Bucks County)

Thumbs down Re: SGL 157 public range (Bucks Co.)

This range has been closed permanently due to the political clout of the local wealthy landowners. We undesirables all foot the bill for these SGL's; the local gentry reap the sole benefits for same.