Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotgun Info

Default Shotgun Info

Hey I've been doing my research for a shotgun. ( Haven't decided between 1911, shotgun, or rifle). Im doing my research in stages so I can make a decision at the end. And I was hoping that you guys can correct me on what Ive learned so far.

Shoots Shotgun shells but can shoot slugs but has to be through a rifled barrel.(?)

Choke determines the spread of the shot and Modified Choke is recommended to for newbies. (?)

Barrel length determines the accuracy and effectiveness of shots. Shorter barrels shot expands quicker, longer barrels shot more concentrated longer.(?) I was leaning towards 20" or less.

Gauge is how big the barrel is. Lower number= Bigger Barrel= More Shot
    I was leaning towards 20 gauge.

The one big thing that I have been caught up on is the different shotgun shell sizes. 3" 2 3/4". What does this mean? Is each shotgun sized differently? If so, can you get a 3" and shoot smaller shells?

This would be solely for Home Defense with occasional shooting when I can find a place and time to shoot it. Sorry if this rambles. Any help would be great, especially if Im missing or misunderstanding something.

I was looking at the Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and Ithaca 37. I favor the Ithaca because I just like the bottom ejection and just like the way it looks. Oh yea Im looking at pump-action. Thanks
    Last edited by ksig1869; June 17th, 2009 at 09:17 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shotgun Info

Quote Originally Posted by ksig1869 View Post
    Shoots Shotgun shells but can shoot slugs but has to be through a rifled barrel.(?)
    There are rifled shotgun barrels that can shoot sabot slugs, but not shot (at least not effectively, it spreads really fast!) and then there are cylinder (smooth bore) barrels for shooting buckshot, birdshot, "general purpose" shot, and rifled slugs. For what you are describing you want cylinder (smooth) bore.

Choke determines the spread of the shot and Modified Choke is recommended to for newbies. (?)
    I don't know if I would say recommended for newbies. Match the choke to the load you are choosing. There are charts from the various ammo makers that show which chokes are recommended for what shot or slugs. Modified is a good general choke. I use it for slugs, 00 buck, and clay shooting sport loads.

Barrel length determines the accuracy and effectiveness of shots. Shorter barrels shot expands quicker, longer barrels shot more concentrated longer.(?) I was leaning towards 20" or less.
    In general you got it right. I have a 20" cylinder bore barrel on my Mossberg 500. I went with this length because it was offered with interchangeable chokes. The 18.5" smoothbore barrels did not have a choke option. Though I may have been able to get one installed by a gunsmith, I didn't think it was worth the extra expense, time and 1.5" length.

Pretty much.

The one big thing that I have been caught up on is the different shotgun shell sizes. 3" 2 3/4". What does this mean? Is each shotgun sized differently? If so, can you get a 3" and shoot smaller shells?
    In general yes. The 3" and 2 3/4" are the chamber sizes that the shotgun is built with. My Mossberg 500 is chambered for both. This should be noted by the manufacturer. The barrel should clearly state what shell sizes may be used. 3" "magnum" shells hold more powder charge and more pellets. Probably overkill if you only want to use it for home defense. More energy for going through your walls if you miss. I have only used 3" shells on a couple occasions for range shoots to try it out.

I was looking at the Mossberg 500, Remington 870 and Ithaca 37. I favor the Ithaca because I just like the bottom ejection and just like the way it looks. Oh yea Im looking at pump-action. Thanks
    All good choices...there are LOTS of accessories for the 870!!!! Lots.

Almost as much available for the Mossberg 500. Those were my two main choices when I was looking to get a shotty.

Also barrels are interchangable on most modern pump action shotguns if you did not know that. I can have my 18" smooth bore no choke home defense barrel installed in the house. Then when I go to the range to shoot clay I can unscrew one fitting and slap on a 20, 24, or 26" barrel with vent rib and bead sights.... pretty cool!! It originally came with a 24" rifled barrel which I sold to get the 20" smooth bore (part number 90140).

You can get black powder conversion kits for some of the shotguns too. I know Mossberg makes on for the 500.

Here is a picture of her as she is now:
    Last edited by falcn; June 17th, 2009 at 09:38 PM.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Jefferson County)

Hey I've been doing my research for a shotgun. ( Haven't decided between 1911, shotgun, or rifle). Im doing my research in stages so I can make a decision at the end. And I was hoping that you guys can correct me on what Ive learned so far.

This would be solely for Home Defense with occasional shooting when I can find a place and time to shoot it. Sorry if this rambles. Any help would be great, especially if Im missing or misunderstanding something.

Slugs can be fired from smooth bore too. Sabot slugs perform best in rifled barrels. Lead, Hastings type, slugs are more for smoothbore and will lead up a rifled barrel.

Choke determines spread. there really isn't a choke for newbs. Modified offers a little more spread, or constriction depending how you look at it, between full and cylinder.

barrel length helps add velocity for greater range and energy per pellet. It also offers a longer sight radius if equipped with rears. if pellets leaving a 18" barrel and a 28" barrel have the same velocity and same choke - the longer barrel will have a SLIGHTLY tighter pattern if the breeches are side by side. If the muzzles are side by side, they will have virtually the same pattern(spread).

gauge by standard is the number of lead balls it would take of the bore diameter to make a pound. 12 lead balls to make a pound is 12ga. Which just happens to have a bigger barrel. However, with shot, present day loads are often greater than the "gauge" of the gun. Example, the 3-1/2" 12ga shells launch 2oz of shot - which is an 8ga load. A 12ga load is 1.333oz. 16ga is 1oz.

Shell length. a 2-3/4" shell is 2-3/4" long uncrimped. 3" = 3". A 2-3/4" is about 2-5/8" crimped, a 3" is about 2-3/4" crimped. Longer shells = more shot and/or velocity(from hotter load). Dont get caught up in the 3" or 3-1/2" magnum craze. 2-1/2 and 2-3/4 shells have been killing everything that has walked, slithered, flown, and swam on this plant for the last 125 years or so. The big shells are not needed for hunting or self-defense.

You can shoot the shorter shells in longer chambers. Sorta like 38spl's in a 357mag.

(Bucks County)

i had to say it, get a saiga 12, best scattergun in my arsenal

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    gauge by standard is the number of lead balls it would take of the bore diameter to make a pound. 12 lead balls to make a pound is 12ga. Which just happens to have a bigger barrel. However, with shot, present day loads are often greater than the "gauge" of the gun. Example, the 3-1/2" 12ga shells launch 2oz of shot - which is an 8ga load. A 12ga load is 1.333oz. 16ga is 1oz.

Shell length. a 2-3/4" shell is 2-3/4" long uncrimped. 3" = 3". A 2-3/4" is about 2-5/8" crimped, a 3" is about 2-3/4" crimped. Longer shells = more shot and/or velocity(from hotter load). Dont get caught up in the 3" or 3-1/2" magnum craze. 2-1/2 and 2-3/4 shells have been killing everything that has walked, slithered, flown, and swam on this plant for the last 125 years or so. The big shells are not needed for hunting or self-defense.
    I knew I was forgetting something..... to add the details on gauge!
    Good reply. Can't rep ya right now though
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    I knew I was forgetting something..... to add the details on gauge!
    Good reply. Can't rep ya right now though
    You had a mighty fine post too.. ..gotta spread the love around as well. lol

(Delaware County)

You are correct on gauges. 2 3\4 and 3" are length. Some also make a 3 1\2" in 12 ga.
    Some slugs require a rifled barrel and some are designed for smooth bore guns.
    Smooth bore with modified or improved cylinder chokes will work for HD. Short barrels will spread quicker, like a 20" as opposed to a 28" barrel. You won't see much difference between say 18 and 20" barrels. Just like you won't see much difference 28" and 30". Choke will make more change than barrel length unless you go from 20 to 28".

Some guys will tell you to go with a 12ga. for HD. I am not a shotgun HD kinda guy, but they are efective at close range in 20ga IMO. If you want to shoot any type of clay games you will want a 28" brl. Screw in chokes give you the option of changing from modified to full and so forth.
    They do make 3" 20ga guns.
    Just one thought, if you think you will shoot it for clays, maybe a 26" brl. would do both. 26" is a little long for HD and a little short for clays, but can work IMO. For HD go 18 or 20". Yes you can shoot 2 3\4" shells out of a 3" gun.
    Hope this helps. Any of the guns you mentioned would work. I have a Rem. WingMaster 870 in 3". They are great guns, although mine is 35 yrs. old and has never failed me in the field.
    Shotguns are a lot of fun for sport shooting too. It is my favorite type of firearm to shoot. I shoot skeet with 26" brls so I know a 26" barrel gun will work. Like I said though, a little long for HD in hallways and small rooms, thats why I choose a handgun for my house.

YOU GUYS TYPE TOO FAST.....LOL
    I love the smell of gunpowder in the morning.[

R.I.P......Murphy.

Quote Originally Posted by SauerGrapes View Post
    You are correct on gauges. 2 3\4 and 3" are length. Some also make a 3 1\2" in 12 ga.
    Some slugs require a rifled barrel and some are designed for smooth bore guns.
    Smooth bore with modified or improved cylinder chokes will work for HD. Short barrels will spread quicker, like a 20" as opposed to a 28" barrel. You won't see much difference between say 18 and 20" barrels. Just like you won't see much difference 28" and 30". Choke will make more change than barrel length unless you go from 20 to 28".

Some guys will tell you to go with a 12ga. for HD. I am not a shotgun HD kinda guy, but they are efective at close range in 20ga IMO. If you want to shoot any type of clay games you will want a 28" brl. Screw in chokes give you the option of changing from modified to full and so forth.
    They do make 3" 20ga guns.
    Just one thought, if you think you will shoot it for clays, maybe a 26" brl. would do both. 26" is a little long for HD and a little short for clays, but can work IMO. For HD go 18 or 20". Yes you can shoot 2 3\4" shells out of a 3" gun.
    Hope this helps. Any of the guns you mentioned would work. I have a Rem. WingMaster 870 in 3". They are great guns, although mine is 35 yrs. old and has never failed me in the field.
    Shotguns are a lot of fun for sport shooting too. It is my favorite type of firearm to shoot. I shoot skeet with 26" brls so I know a 26" barrel gun will work. Like I said though, a little long for HD in hallways and small rooms, thats why I choose a handgun for my house.

YOU GUYS TYPE TOO FAST.....LOL

Thanks for all the responses. Im just thinking that I need to get a shotgun after seeing that video demonstration of wall penetration. Ill be living in a house with a few guys so if anything should ever happen Id like to keep them protected. Im also thinking about cost too and a shotgun seems like the cheapest option, unless I go for an RIA 1911 probably be around the same price. Ill have to way all of my options.

Id like to get to one of the group shoots to see if I can get the feel between the 12 gauge and the 20 gauge. Hopefully Ill be able to get out after I make some money this summer.

When it comes to cost is 12 gauge that much cheaper then 20? And will there be more options in makes and shells and such?

(Luzerne County)

There are many, many loads available for the 20 gauge. There are even more for the 12.
    Cost, per box of 25, is similar.
    You are more apt to find "bargain shells" available for the 12 gauge than for the 20.
    For HD, you will find more buckshot loadings in the 12 gauge. (not that you have to use buckshot)
    Pete
    “Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games.”Hemingway ...

(Montgomery County)

Some basic info in the following . . .

Shotguns: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun

Shells: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_shell#Buckshot

There's a lot of stuff in here that you probably don't need, but the bottom half of the page on each link has some good info.

General: http://www.corneredcat.com/FirstGun/long-gun.aspx
    (Cornered Cat is always good info.)

I just got a Maverick 88 recently. Affordable and compatible w/ almost all Mossberg accessories), and although I was thinking 20 ga. so the wife could fire it more easily, I went with 12 ga. just 'cause they're so much more versatile.

For home defense, a lot of folks recommend using #4 buckshot vs. 00 buck (27 pellets of .24 cal vs. 9 pellets of .33 cal., and less likely to overpenetrate).
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. -- Jeff Cooper

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast