Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AR Optics

(Erie County)

Default AR Optics

I'm not sure if this thread is in the right place, so I'm sorry if it is.

Just wondering what some of the pros and cons are of some tactical optics. Want to put some optics on my new Colt and I'm looking at either an EOtech or an ACOG. I know the ACOGs are WAY more expensive but I'm certain they are well worth the money.

Most of the shooting I will be doing is going to be at the range, so the EOtech would be just fine.

Would just like some feedback from guys (and gals) who have these optics and how they perform.

Thanks.
    Last edited by .300RUM; June 16th, 2009 at 09:25 PM.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR Optics

I personally prefer EOtechs for the kind of thing you'd be doing with an AR that's not set up as a long range rifle, i.e. quick handling. The ACOG is a very nice optic, but the 4x magnification is a little too in-betweenish yet too specific at the same time: too much for 50 yards or less, maybe just right at 100-150, then slightly not enough beyond say 200 or so IMHO. Either you want something unmagnified for close stuff or more magnified for far stuff. It's like a 6 or 9 iron in golf--there's other clubs in the bag you end up using much more. ACOGs are very nice in that they're not battery dependent, however, and that's one advantage that may negate the need for backup iron sights.
    Last edited by Yellowfin; June 16th, 2009 at 09:29 PM.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Blair County)

If this is to be a range gun primarily then I would suggest a moderately priced red dot to evaluate if this is the route you want to go. To some this means Eotech but my suggestion would be to get something like a Vortex Strikefire for $130 (search around online for this price). It is a solid unit that seems to hold up to use, holds zero, has a good warranty (they will replace it if you have problems), has decent battery life, comes with a 2x magnifier and a mount. I have one and I like it a lot and it gets generally favorable reviews online. What problems have been reported on the forums seem to be apparent immediately and they will replace the unit if there are any problems. As everyone says, it's not an Aimpoint or an Eotech (or Acog) but it is much less expensive and any optic can break/be broken.

If you get something inexpensive and don't like the red dot type optic you can sell it or mount it up on something else (.22 or shotgun) without too much pain over the price tag.

(Chester County)

For non magnified (1X), Aimpoint Micro or Leupold Mark IV CQT for a 1-3X (a little heavy but great for the range). Both of the above should sit in a Larue mount, the factory mounts suck...

(Montgomery County)

I'm an Eotech fan boy. Aimpoints are great too but i like the eotech reticule better.

eotech / aimpoint pro's
    fast on target
    unlimited eye relief - meaning that you can put your eye anywhere behind the optic.

Con's
    batteries
    no magnification

ACOG pro's
    no batteries
    magnification

Con's
    cost
    eye relief - must have your eye the proper distance from the optic to get a clear site picture.
    slower on target

For SHTF at distances out to 200yds, i think a non magnified optic is best (eotech / aimpoint). If you plan to make a lot of shots 200yds plus, an ACOG has its place. However, if you're going to be shooting distance a lot an optic with more than 3-4x is probably a better choice.

(Westmoreland County)

I have three ACOGs and I love them. You could get one of the models with the Doctor Optic or Trijicon Red Dot on it. I have the TA31ECOS and the TA01ECOS both have the Doctor on it. It is a nice little scope but since it sits up high and you can't get good stock weld. I only use the red dot at 50yds or less. If you do get the ACOG I would recommend getting one with BAC capabilities. I like the TA01 but I like the TA31 better. The ACOGs are a lot more than the Eotech but they also have a life time warranty and the Eotech only has a two year one if I remember correctly. Aimpoint makes a nice red dot too, I have a Comp M4 that has not left my safe yet, but it is a well built site.

(Chester County)

I have an Eotech and an ACOG. They are both excellent optics but serve different purposes. ACOGs are for longer range and Eotechs are for close targets...(never used a magnifier on one so I can't give input there). The Eotech Reticle is a lot easier for me to pick up and put on target than the Aimpoint since it has a big circle. You can more or less plant that circle on your target and its gonna get hit. The ACOG is an awesome piece of glass but anything closer than 50 yards and acquiring it quickly becomes an issue. I have an Eotech 557 and the TA-31RCO-M4CP ACOG if that helps any.

(Lancaster County)

Something I noticed on Trijicon's website after looking a bit is that there are 1.5x ACOG's available to negate the magnification problem for short range use. I was previously unaware of this.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things by passing insane laws--that's insane!" -- Penn Jillette

"To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." -- Ted Nugent

(Berks County)

The Trijicon Tripower is another alternative. It's a 1x optic that looks like an Aimpoint, but it has a chevron reticle and no batteries. It uses fiber optics and tritium to illuminate the reticle. Reviews have said that the tritium is kind of dim, but if you're going to be shooting at the range, the fiber optics work GREAT to light that reticle up.

I started with a millet DMS-1 1-4(x24 i think). It was ok, on a larue mount. Sold it to my buddy and bought a Larue SPR-E mount with a Accupoint 1.25-4x24 1" tube, very nice...just bought a 1-4x24 accupoint, red post reticle for it, 30mm tube. I got a pretty handsome discount from Trijicon for being Military. My 1.25-4x24 is very nice, but I wanted a true 1-4, so I'm putting the 1.25-4 on my father's marlin 336.

Ok so, the Millett was nice ($250), the 1.25-4 accupoint was awesome($600 or so), the 1-4 accupoint is supposedly spectacular(won't know for sure until I come home in september). The Larue Mounts, about $195 with awesome customer service. I like 1-4 because its very flexible. It all depends on what kind of shooting you do.
    Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    Official Gun Bully and corn flakes pisser inner since March 2007.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast