Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Beaver County)

Default IMPROVEMENTS FOR RANGE ON SGL 127

Release #060-09

GAME COMMISSION PLANS IMPROVEMENTS FOR RANGE ON SGL 127

Pennsylvania Game Commission officials today announced plans to move the location of the present shooting range on State Game Land 127, in Monroe County, to improve public access, maintenance and security of the range.

The new range will be on the north side of Route 423, just behind the PennDOT equipment storage facility, about one mile west of the I-380 interchange. Also, the Game Commission maintenance building is about one-quarter mile away from the new site.

On June 3, the Game Commission opened bids for the project. N&T Transport & Excavating, of Mayfield, bid $130,565.52 and was the lowest of 14 bidders. N&T has reconstructed three other Game Commission shooting ranges in the northeast corner of the state. Funding for the project is from the Game Commission’s Growing Greener II allocation.

For more information, please visit the Pennsylvania Game Commission - State Wildlife Management Agency website: http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...?a=11&Q=176697
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Monroe County)

Default Re: IMPROVEMENTS FOR RANGE ON SGL 127

Awesome!!!! Can't wait. Does this mean theyre closing down the current range for the summer though?
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by jcabin View Post
    Awesome!!!! Can't wait. Does this mean theyre closing down the current range for the summer though?
    Dunno. That's all that was in the press release.

It is interesting to note how much money is spent on these ranges, though. Once you see what they really do, it seems like a lot of money for next to nothing! At least the game commission still seems to care about the ranges.
    Kevin Singleton, Potawatomi - {ZRT - Sector 4}

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by kevindsingleton View Post
    Dunno. That's all that was in the press release.

It is interesting to note how much money is spent on these ranges, though. Once you see what they really do, it seems like a lot of money for next to nothing! At least the game commission still seems to care about the ranges.
    Yes it certainly is a grand amount of money for such a desolate range. I mean I can't see supplies going over 1,000 dollars for the bench's and stands that are currently at SGL127. Now I know theyre probably going to have to move earth around so that might get a bit pricey, but 100 some odd thousand? Theyre only building 100 yard rifle ranges, they should put in atleast a 200. The pistol section is an improvement atleast, at 10 yards you can train for self defense shooting.
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

(Monroe County)

yeah i had spoken to one of the GC's a while back at the range, and they mentioned that it was going to be shut down sometime because they were going to build a new one on 423. makes it a bit easier for me to get to, and they con monitor it a bit better, so im all for it.
    Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets.

(Philadelphia County)

Hopefully the new one has a big wall that keeps out people from NY and NJ.

(Luzerne County)

I think the "easier access" is just going to make it worse. You think the current range gets busy on the weekends? Wait.

As for easier enforcement, I don't buy that either. What was so hard about checking on the current range?

(Monroe County)

Heh, you guys should have seen me getting back there in my little Hyundai Accent during the winter. I honestly don't know how I made it in and out. Granted, a new location will bring out the people, but it sure is tucked way back there now. I just hope they keep the same distances as before, although I'll be using the one in Columbia County more often once I go back to Uni...

If they have $130,000 to spend on a new range, when the old one is apparently is used frequently, why not keep both ranges open? If one is good, two will be much better, imo.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I'm ambivalent. This will be a lot closer to my parent's home, so it will be easier to go shooting with my father when I am up to visit. But, I grew up shooting at the one in Gouldsboro. We would collect tin cans from the side of the road on the way up and shoot at them as well as targets. We'd fill them up with water to start at the stream across the road. This is way back in the early to mid 70s, so if we were breaking SGL rules, I am sure the statute of limitations has run out.

Of course, now it may be harder to get back to Warnertown Falls without getting shot, right?