Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: Crappy Brass

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Default Crappy Brass

No, this is not about ammunition for shooting fish, though it is about cases that might as well be just tossed in the lake.

Brass headstamped "A-MERC" is the worst and most inconsistent brass for reloading I have run into, so far. It is poorly dimensioned, and varies from piece to piece in hardness, composition and workability.

I actually have reoladed it, but it is just the most awful pain in the press to get loaded, and I only fire it at places where the brass urchins steal my brass for their own. (If they are going to steal MY brass, let them have it, along with its problems).

This is a call for information on other brass, other headstamps which are of such poor quality, and you wouldn't want to reload it, yourself.

I just know that with the thousands of rounds some of the posters here have relaoded, there are certainly others who have run into more crappy brass.

Flash

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Crappy Brass

Actually, I load everything but American Ammunition (A-Merc). I had one piece where the primer pocket was drilled so far off center it broke a decapping pin. In .45 ACP it's not uncommon to bell the brass at the base when you seat a bullet and you won't notice until the gun locks up hard just short of battery.

Lycanbadjujuthrope

I taught Chuck Norris to bump-fire.