Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: SCCY cpx-1

(Cumberland County)

Thumbs up SCCY cpx-1

Ok, I know it's not the highest quality pistol, but I bought the Sccy a month or so ago from my local gun shop, and it's a really nice little carry gun ! Only two issues I have, one the safety design and two, I know it's tough to get the last round or two in a magazine, but this one is almost impossible. For the safety, I emailed sccy and gave them my thoughts on how it digs into your thumb, and asked if they could mail me a new set so I could play around. I carefully dremeled the tab where it digs into thumb, and it worked perfectly - no more safety in thumb. The 9mm seems to be well made, I have not had any jams, and is nice and small. Can't wait to see what the make next
    Steve

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

Default Re: SCCY cpx-1

I have a Sccy CPX1. They do make/sell a kit to disengage the safety. My problem was my hand would kick the safety on after about 3-5 rounds and in doing so it would jam. (At lest that what I think is causing it to jam.) It is a nice pistol. As for the 10th round I just push down and it will go in. You may want to call Sccy and make sure that yours is a 10 round magazine. I believe that previously they made one with 8 or 9 round magazines. Just a thought.

(Allegheny County)

Is this a DA pistol? Does it even need that safety if it is DAO? Does the kit remove the safety?

I was considering one of these before I got the Kahr CW9 but the safety getting knocked was one reason I passed on it. did not know a safety kit was available.
    FNX-9 Two-tone

Abbottstown/Hanover/Gettysburg area, Pennsylvania
    (Adams County)

It is a dao pistol. All the kit does is as follows: You take the safety lever off on the left side of the pistol. Put the safety lever in the fire position on the right side of the pistol. At that point you put a new lever on the left side which looks exactly like the one you have taken off. The difference is you can not put the safety on as the safety on the left side doesn't have a notch in it to allow it to move. It is as easy as taking one screw out and removing the lever and puting the new one on.

Now I did put mine on but never fired the pistol. The problem I had, and I am not experience with pistols as most of you are, is one I believe that if some puts a bit of force on the lever it will turn the safety on. I also believe that if someone has big hands, and or holds the pistol high in his hand the lever will cut into the base of the thumb. I did not like the set up. I had hoped that both levers would be removed which they weren't. If you shoot pistols regularly this may not be a problem. (It seems strange to carry the pistol with it in the fire mode yet I do the same with my Glocks. I was more familiar with revolvers than semi's. I do have a G19 & G26 now. The Sccy is smaller than the G26 I do believe.

The Sccy is well built except for this one issue IMHO.
    There is a blog for Sccy or Skky owners. I am sure if you do a search it will come up and they talk about this issue a good deal.