Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tikka Rifles?

(Monroe County)

Default Tikka Rifles?

What do you Guys , and Gals think about Tikka Rifles? I handled one at the Funstore and it were superslick and well made.
    I know they are made by SAKO and owned by Berreta.

Looking to get it in .338 with a Laminated stock.

Whats your opinion/experience?

Thanks nyman

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Tikka Rifles?

Hey bud I have a Stainless 30-06 topped with a silver nikon buckmasters 4.5-14x40. Shoots like a dream, with my handloads I can repeatedly put 5 in a nickel at 100 yards. Took a buck at a little over 300 yards and a doe right behind the eyeball at 150 yards. I think they are worth every penny the only problem is mags are pricey and single stack. But they work smooth and have some very attractive lines.

(Monroe County)

Good to hear that , I am looking at a stainless with laminated stock in .338, comes with Rings, with a medium contour Barrel for a little over $700, %729 i believe. Brand new.

Yes they are beautiful Guns. That bolt is sweet ah?
    I might get it next week , just in case i get to go to Alaska or Nebraska for Elk or Moose. Or maybe Africa for greater Kudu. I have the same Nikon scope but its om my Savage .308

Nyman

(Berks County)

I have a Tikka .243 for sale in the Classifieds - never shot. Maybe I should keep it? I do know the bolt is smooooth!

(Monroe County)

Yeah handling the Tikka gives the same quality feel like handling a Rolex or BMW .

I think you should keep it .That .243 should make a nice Deer , Varmint rifle.

Nyman

(Somerset County)

I've got a SS/synthetic model in 7mm-08. It wears a Bushnell Elite 4200 3-9 scope. I bought it for crappy weather hunting. I didn't have much time to develop a load for it but it put Rem Core-lokts into about an 1 1/2 and I hit a combo of 140 Nosler Ballistic Tips and IMR 4320 that went a tad under an inch.

The bolt certainly is smooth, that's was one of the big reasons I went Tikka over Howa or Savage.

The one thing I don't like is that there isn't enough room to slide my thumb between the scope and the action when carrying it one handed. Also, I prefer a floorplate over a detachable mag. But those are just my quirks. YMMV

Dale

(Monroe County)

THe .338 i looked at had a floorplate, however the mag wouldnt bother me .

I saw a documentary on TV once about how these SAKO/Tikka rifles are made , they filmed everything that went on in the factory, its amazing so much precision and quality could be achieved by mostly hand and a few machines.

Nyman

The rifles are VERY nice, I do enjoy them although I don't own one. I'm a Remington man myself, but they're FINE rifles. I really do enjoy how smooth their bolts are, although I can give you heck and say they ain't as smooth as my blue printed Remington 700 . LOL, they also didn't cost NEAR what that rifle did. They are very reliable shooters, more than accurate enough for any hunting rifle and as accurate as any other factory hunting rifle. The only downside to them is that if you ever want to get some aftermarket accessories for them, there aren't as many options. If you're gonna leave it the way it is, there's not really a downside to them. I think for factory rifles, wood has been going out of favor for a lot of manufacturers, but I consistently see BEAUTIFUL wood on all of their rifles, far better than the other rifles in their same price range.

It sounds like you just want a hunting rifle, and for what you're hunting you know what you're getting into. I wouldn't recommend a light rifle in .338 to most people, but from yoru intended purposes, it sounds like that's what is right up your alley. Either way, it sounds like you got the right idea. Best of luck to you and you can't go wrong with one.

(Monroe County)

Between the Laminated stock and the medium to heavy barrel it does have some weight to it to help with the recoil of the .338.

I dont want to trick it out, so after market stuff or lack thereof doesnt bother me. The rifle is nice as is.

THe same dealer has a sweet Remington model 7 (when were the last time you saw one of those) mountain gun with the pencil thin barrel in a sweet dark colored Walnut stock, i'm tempted about that too. Its in 7-08 which i hear is a sweet round.

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Between the Laminated stock and the medium to heavy barrel it does have some weight to it to help with the recoil of the .338.

I dont want to trick it out, so after market stuff or lack thereof doesnt bother me. The rifle is nice as is.

THe same dealer has a sweet Remington model 7 (when were the last time you saw one of those) mountain gun with the pencil thin barrel in a sweet dark colored Walnut stock, i'm tempted about that too. Its in 7-08 which i hear is a sweet round.
    That's good that it has a little heft to it to help tame the recoil on the .338. Since you don't want to trick it out, it doesn't much matter. I know the clearance on their bolts are pretty tight, that's why they're so smooth. I don't own one, so I haven't ever drug one around in the dirt or let one get dirty. I still have a bit of wonders about how well they do in some of the more rugged conditions.

LOL, I see Remington model 7's all the time and shoot them pretty frequently. My gunsmith buddy that I hang out with a lot likes to build rifles with them. Or I guess I should say he has some customers that like for him to build rifles on them, so there's always quite a few laying around. It's a nice little compact light action. I'm a prett big fan of the 7mm-08, MUCH more so than the .308. It packs some punch, more flat shooting, and not quite as much recoil; not much to not like about the 7mm-08. If you like the .243, and wish the .308 had the punch that it does but shot a bit flatter, you'll really like the 7-08.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast