Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Gun Safe Suggestions

Hey all-

So my collection has grown since I bought my first gun several years ago (4 rifles, 3 handguns now), and I think it's time I get a gun safe to store everything in one convenient place, and to keep them out of the hands of any unwanted visitors. I'm not looking for an uber-secure safe. None of my guns are heirlooms or have any value beyond what they were purchased for. I'm just looking for something that would keep an amateur thief and the TV repair man or plumber, etc away from them.

Here are some of the things I would like:
    • Around $1,000 (up to $2k if there's a way to finance the purchase over 6 months to a year)
    • Secure enough to keep amateur thieves and contractors, etc out
    • Prefer Digital Keypad lock with key override or external battery replacement...If digital lock, I don't want it to be a POS and break and then have to pay a locksmith to fix it.
    • 6' height would be ideal
    • Minimal fire protection, more is just a bonus but would not pay much extra for it.
    • Quoted 24 gun space or thereabout, although I realize this varies by manufacturer and two 24 gun safes could a little different size-wise
    • Will only be storing guns, no cash or documents

Some of the models I've looked at are:

Any recommendations, brand/model suggestions are greatly appreciated!

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun Safe Suggestions

I recently bought a Cannon safe from Amazon (Cannon Series model CA23). I called Cannon prior to my purchase to inquire about where the safe was made. I've read on some forums that the Cannon safes were being made in China and I wanted to hear from the horse's mouth. The model that I chose, CA23, is made here in the USA. Their lower line, like the ones made for Costco, are made partially in Mexico and finished in the US. There was no mention of anything being made in China.

The model I went with is rated fr 1200F for 1 hour. It is UL rated as a Residential Security Container NOT a Residential Security Safe. There is a difference. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Buy the best safe that you can afford. Another reason why I got a Cannon safe is that it comes with two outlets, a USB port and has network access inside the safe. I rigged my safe with motion activated lights and it turns on as soon as I open the safe's door. I use the second outlet for a dehumidifier. Cannon safes also come with a lifetime warranty.

(Butler County)

Every one sells them. Dicks, Dunhams, Tractor Supply. Even Wal-Mart. Most any of them will keep the average crack head out. I have an American Security. Just because that's what they sell at my local gun store.
    Buy the biggest one you can afford. Guns have a way of multiplying.

(Perry County)

Costco has some good buys on safes. They sell a few different brands and have free delivery to your house.

I bought a Rhino Safe. They sell the USA made and China made ones. I bought a Chinese one and so far I'm happy with it. Their higher dollar ones are made in the US.

It's going to be my business safe so I wasn't concerned about appearance or keeping out safe crackers. I wanted something that would keep Joe Dirtbag out long enough for the alarm to do it's job.

The cheapest I found that safe anywhere else was $400 more than Costco. It makes a membership worth it.

(Allegheny County)

Thanks for the quick feedback guys! I forgot to mention one other thing, and that is that I'm currently renting. I've only been out of college for 2 years now and just signed a 2 year lease. I don't expect to be in this house more than 2-4 years, so I can't get a safe that's so large that it can't be moved.

I understand that $3k safes are going to be better than $1k safes. I don't live in a really rich area, so I wouldn't expect a professional thief to be targeting the homes around me. If they do, they'd probably be able to break into any safe I could get anyways. I also don't live in a shitty area, so the odds of a random break-in aren't very high. Nonetheless, I'd like to have some level of security, mainly to keep out roommate's friends, contractors, and (maybe some day) kids. So I don't need or want to spend $3k on a safe at this point in my life. I'd just like to get the best safe I can for around $1k.

Some people would never spend $2k on a scope, others think it's an absolute necessity. Everyone has different priorities.

Thanks for the suggestions and keep them coming!

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by RXM View Post
    I recently bought a Cannon safe from Amazon (Cannon Series model CA23). I called Cannon prior to my purchase to inquire about where the safe was made. I've read on some forums that the Cannon safes were being made in China and I wanted to hear from the horse's mouth. The model that I chose, CA23, is made here in the USA. Their lower line, like the ones made for Costco, are made partially in Mexico and finished in the US. There was no mention of anything being made in China.

The model I went with is rated fr 1200F for 1 hour. It is UL rated as a Residential Security Container NOT a Residential Security Safe. There is a difference. As with most things, you get what you pay for. Buy the best safe that you can afford. Another reason why I got a Cannon safe is that it comes with two outlets, a USB port and has network access inside the safe. I rigged my safe with motion activated lights and it turns on as soon as I open the safe's door. I use the second outlet for a dehumidifier. Cannon safes also come with a lifetime warranty.
    Hey RXM, I looked up the safe you got on Amazon, and it's looking very good right now. It's only $40 more than CostCo, but it's made in the USA. Not sure what the other differences are between the CA23 and the Costco model, but I have no problem paying the extra $40 to get something from the US of A.

I like the 2 outlets as well, and the RJ45 port in case I ever decided to keep a backup Hard drive. The warranty on Cannon safes are a large reason why they're so attractive to me.

Could you provide any other feedback on the one you purchased? How is the shelving? How is the interior? Was there anything you needed to do to get it ready for use? How was moving it into your house? Do you keep it on the first floor or garage? Were there any steps to go up (or down) to get it in?

Thanks again!

(Beaver County)

You could also check out Tractor Supply if you have one near you. They sell Cannon safes, which is where I got mine. I don't see the one I have listed on their site anymore, but you can get a decent Cannon for $599, and a "Winchester" for $699. If you want to spend more, they have a couple for $999 as well.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mancolt View Post
    Hey RXM, I looked up the safe you got on Amazon, and it's looking very good right now. It's only $40 more than CostCo, but it's made in the USA. Not sure what the other differences are between the CA23 and the Costco model, but I have no problem paying the extra $40 to get something from the US of A.

I like the 2 outlets as well, and the RJ45 port in case I ever decided to keep a backup Hard drive. The warranty on Cannon safes are a large reason why they're so attractive to me.

Could you provide any other feedback on the one you purchased? How is the shelving? How is the interior? Was there anything you needed to do to get it ready for use? How was moving it into your house? Do you keep it on the first floor or garage? Were there any steps to go up (or down) to get it in?

Thanks again!
    I've only had the safe for about two weeks. In short, so far I like the safe based on my needs and the options the safe included. The shelving is made with particle board and has a very thin carpet cover on just the top and the very front (the underside and rear are exposed and not covered). The website states that it is automotive quality carpet - that's a real stretch of the description. I would not consider it a high quality carpet. The interior space is adequate and leaves me room for a lot of growth. My beef with the safe is that there are no bolts on the hinge side and bottom side of the door. I was really shocked by that. The only thing you need to do to get it ready for use is vacuum the interior b/c there is a lot of dust and chips from the fire resistant dry wall they use.

My recommended accessories would be to go to Home Depot to buy a motion activated switch, decoration lights, a golden rod, and a few desiccants. That be all you need to rock and roll. I'll take some pictures later today and post what I bought from Home depot.

The safe is about 600 lbs and was moved by three people into the basement. The dimension of the safe made it easy to move and wasn't an issue to get through a doorway.

I'm very happy with my purchase b/c I knew what to expect and I know that I'm going to get a better safe later on when my collection grows.

Accessories for safe:
    1. Westek indoor plug-in motion activated light control ($21.47): http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    2. Hampton Bay Incandescent Rope Light Kit plus additional mounting clips: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053
    3. 18" Goldenrod from Midwayusa: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/113...plug-110v-gold
    4. Desiccants - I bought 3 of them and put one at each shelving level: http://www.midwayusa.com/Product/799...-feet-canister
    Last edited by RXM; October 14th, 2011 at 02:55 PM. Reason: Added accessories

(Westmoreland County)

Check out Reese's Supply in Smithfield, PA (south of Uniontown). I have bought two Browning safes there for great prices in the past. Trust me it is worth a trip, you will never see another gun store like this. It is in an old general store and the guns, ammo and other sporting good are mixed in with the general stock.
    Friends don't let friends buy Taurus's

(Allegheny County)

My concern with some of these cheaper safes with electronic locks is if you have to open the safe door in order to replace the battery for the lock. In that case, if the battery dies and the safe is closed, you would need to call a locksmith.

I'd appreciate some feedback: If you have an affordable (~$1k or less) safe and you're able to replace your electronic lock's battery without opening the safe, I'd like to know what brand/model of safe you have. This could help me narrow down the list I'm looking at.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast