Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it True?

(Monroe County)

Default Is it True?

Is it True that Crossbows are less accurate than a regular or compound Bow?

Thanks,

Michael Richard Nyman

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Is it True?

no way!!!! they are very accurate . I hate the shoot 2 in a round so I don't break nocks .the one I have very accurate up to 50-60 yards and they are super fast

(Monroe County)

Thanks, Would 265fps a good speed or do i need more speed? in say a 65 pound Crossbow?
    Also is Horton and Barnett good Brands?

Nyman

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Thanks, Would 265fps a good speed or do i need more speed? in say a 65 pound Crossbow?
    Also is Horton and Barnett good Brands?

Nyman

You need more draw weight to hunt in PA with it.. It has to be 125lbs or more.

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...&Q=175892&PM=1

What are the requirements for a crossbow and bolt?
    A crossbow must have a peak drawn weight of at least 125 pounds; there is no maximum. A bolt must be equipped with a broadhead that has an outside diameter or width of at least 7/8 inches with at least two cutting edges on the same plane throughout the length of the cutting surface, and shall not exceed three inches in length measured from the tip of the broadhead to the point that fits against the bolt.

(Delaware County)

they r both good brands . I have a barnett quad 300 n its great . u want to look for somthing about 150 draw n around 300 fps . look on cabelas web site they have some good one . there is somone on here selling a older barnett . n also look up pgc laws about scope I thing u can only have a single pound scope or red dot if I'm right. and u want a crossbow that will take a 22 inch bolt they r more acc. then the 20inch ones

(Lancaster County)

Just go with a compound or other traditional bow, because if I see you out in the woods during archery with a crossbow im going to make fun of you. That is of course if your not elderly or handicaped. Ive shot bows all my life and it is a art. A crossbow take all the fun out of it. You might as well use a gun.

now dont go bashing me for not liking crossbows. They have their places ( zombie killing , batman shooting swing lines and so on ) , lol.
    No longer posting

(Monroe County)

Thanks for the info guys keep it coming, its a real education.
    I wernt going to use it for hunting, i use guns for that , it is just meant as a survival tool , i am what they called back in the seventies a "survivalist" so its just one more tool to maximize my odds. and to just shoot in the back of my property , practice , targetting etc. And one more thing to get my son interested in instead of those Videogames he is always playing.

I wouldnt use it for hunting except of course in a total TEOTWAWKI.

Now for a regular Bow or compound how would it affects your back if you have a very bad back problem?
    I havent shot a bow since i were about 10 yrs old , Thats 40 yrs ago.

Thanks, Nyman

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrnyman View Post
    Thanks for the info guys keep it coming, its a real education.
    I wernt going to use it for hunting, i use guns for that , it is just meant as a survival tool , i am what they called back in the seventies a "survivalist" so its just one more tool to maximize my odds. and to just shoot in the back of my property , practice , targetting etc. And one more thing to get my son interested in instead of those Videogames he is always playing.

I wouldnt use it for hunting except of course in a total TEOTWAWKI.

Now for a regular Bow or compound how would it affects your back if you have a very bad back problem?
    I havent shot a bow since i were about 10 yrs old , Thats 40 yrs ago.

Thanks, Nyman
    Im really just giving you a hard time , lol. I hunt ocasionaly with a older guy that uses one because he is elderly. They have their place. They are fun to shoot and for backyard shooting its good. I just dont think its very sporting to say your "bowhunting" with one.

As far as if you have back pain. Well my father uses a crossbow now because he has problems with his shoulder and cant draw a regular bow.

Ive thought about getting one for "survival" but I have so much money tied up in my bow I cant justify buying a crossbow.
    No longer posting

I can knock an arrow and have it gone repeatedly with accuracy faster than a crossbow. I would also say invest in a good compound bow unless a physical handicap prevents its use.

(Monroe County)

I would much rather have a bow then a crossbow in a survival situation, just my personal opinion. Crossbows are for people that can't handle a real bow or aren't willing to take the time to practice.
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast