Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: sbs in berks

(Berks County)

Default sbs in berks

i was thinking bout getting my rem 870 and registering it at a sbs to a barrel of about 14 inches....anyone know how hard it is to get them to sign of on it???

(Lycoming County)

Default SBS

billy870m9,

It all depends on the mindset of the LEA. If the Chief of Police refuses, go to the Sheriff, if he refuses go to the District Attorney. If they all fail get a lawyer, and petition a Judge. Seeing that SBRs, SBS, and Class III are legal in PA, and provided you can legally own one it can be done.

I know I was very nervous when I first approached the Chief of Police. But he signed off without hesitation. From there it was just the sit and wait for the ATF side.

Once you have your papers and stamp your ready for the work. Because you are manufacturing a NFA firearm, you must conspicuously engrave on your receiver your name, city, and state, engraved to a height of 1/16th in. and depth of .003 in. Remember your newly constructed firearm must now comply with all the rules that regulate NFA weapons. You must have approval to transport it out of state and you should always keep a copy of your stamped form 1 with the firearm at all times. To obtain forms and learn more about NFA regulations, use the following link: http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/index.htm
    Jack

(Berks County)

Default Re: sbs in berks

does anyone know if i would get a 14 inch barrel for my 870 would i be able to switch the barrels if i wanted to.......like for instance in the house i have the 14 on it and when i go shooting clays or what not can i put a 18 or longer barrel on....or does getting a sbs meen it must stay that way??? thanks guys

I believe you can always make it longer. Just like a suppressor, you dont HAVE to keep the suppressor on it.

Check with your FFL though.. just call them up. Don't ask for legal advice to some fools on the internet.

(Adams County)

While you are correct, that you can always make it longer and switch back and forth. I think the analogy with the suppressor does not really fit. In that case, the suppressor IS the Firearm, not the gun you put it on. While it is illegal to have a short barrel by itself, I believe the SBS is the WHOLE SHOTGUN.

Capitalization meant for emphasis, not yelling.