Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Recommendation for scouting cameras

I have a Cabelas gift card and decided it would be best spent on a game scouting camera. The options are endless, so I was looking for recommendations.

Although scouting deer will be the ultimate purpose, I've also had some vandalism at my camp, and other camps in the area are having a similar issues so I'd like to catch the culprits without having the camera detected and destroyed.

What I'm looking for is one that can take night shots without a flash (IR), silent (no shutter noise), and a removeable flash memory card so I can swap out the card and take it home to go through at my leisure.

So far there's been no major theft or damage, just a camera, a couple GPS's and cash taken from unlocked cars, but it has progressed to entering tool sheds. The thieves are obviously young and looking for small easily sellable items and cash, but their escalation to getting into sheds leads me to believe their next step is breaking into unoccupied camps to see what they can find inside.

Any suggestions?

I'd like to hang a game camera near my camp that will use motion detection to snap a photo, but not flash or have a shutter click loud enough to be heard and the camera found.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Recommendation for scouting cameras

I like stealth cam products only for the cost. They are easy to use and I cant see spending any more money for what they do. The one I use makes no noise except for the flash. And the other ones I have used make no noise as long as it was digital.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    I like stealth cam products only for the cost. They are easy to use and I cant see spending any more money for what they do. The one I use makes no noise except for the flash. And the other ones I have used make no noise as long as it was digital.
    Cost of the camera is not a concern. Losing an ATV, a backloader or 50K rounds of ammo would be. My gut feel is that it's the same people, they are young teens, they're out quite often, and so far only score when they stumble upon a car or shed door was left unlocked inadvertantly. But each time they seem to get a little braver, getting closer to dwellings with lights burning both outside and inside, and I'd rather have them on video that I can hand over to the neighboring camps, their parents, and the law before these kids find themselves staring down the business end of someone's shotgun who wouldn't necessarily ask questions first.

(Dauphin County)

If you want video check out a wildlife eye. They have a handy cam inside that takes video and they have IR for night use. My friend gets his cheap on ebay about 500 bucks for the handy cam and the wildlife eye itself.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFeather View Post
    If cost is not your primary concern, but security is, they have the camera set up for you.

The camera is part of a mobile telephone system, when the shutter is tripped it emails photos right to you in real time, next best thing to being there.

Its certainly not cheap at almost 600 bucks, plus phone service

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te....form1&Go.x=11

This looks like a great solution, but I'm stuck with Verizon for a while and this works with Sprint. I'm still going to give them a call to see if they'll be making models for more cell service providers anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckster View Post
    If you want video check out a wildlife eye. They have a handy cam inside that takes video and they have IR for night use. My friend gets his cheap on ebay about 500 bucks for the handy cam and the wildlife eye itself.
    Video would be great. I'd hate to have a picture of someone walking up, and then walking away, but not be able to prove they actually messed with my stuff if I wake up and find my car has been rummaged through again.