Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WV gun laws

(Lancaster County)

Default WV gun laws

Kinda off topic here in PA, but my uncle lives in WV. And i try to make the trip down to go four wheelin and shooting with him. Anyway, does anyone know their handgun laws? I think you can OC without a LTCF at 18, but i'm not sure, also i'm not sure about the transporting part. I'll keep everything locked away from the ammo on my way down since i have to go through PRMD, but once i'm in WV i was wondering...
    Semper Fi

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: WV gun laws

open carry is generally legal in WV at age 18. however, there are a couple of cities/towns (don't remember offhand which ones) that have grandfathered anti-OC ordinances. there might also be other restrictions beyond those you experience in PA.

you can prolly find more info by poking around at:

http://www.opencarry.org/wv.html

and

http://www.wvcdl.org/
    F*S=k

(Delaware County)

From the West Virginia State Police:

Weapons - Concealed Carry Permits
    Q. Who do I ask questions concerning the process for obtaining concealed weapons permits?

A. Contact the sheriff of the county where you reside.

Q. I live outside of West Virginia and I have a concealed carry permit for a firearm in my home state. Does West Virginia honor my permit?

A. West Virginia currently honors concealed weapon permits issued by the States of Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Florida, Ohio, and North Carolina to its residents. Currently, no other out-of-state concealed carry permits are honored. Please consult with authorities in your state in order to determine if a reciprocal agreement has been made with West Virginia.

West Virginia will not honor non-resident permits from the above listed states.

Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm.

Q. How do I obtain a concealed carry permit in West Virginia?

A. You must be a West Virginia resident to obtain a West Virginia permit. Applications are processed by the Sheriff of your county of residence.

Q. I am a police officer from another state who will be traveling through West Virginia, may I lawfully carry my service weapon?

A. As of July 22, 2004, federal law permits any qualified current or retired law enforcement officer to carry a concealed firearm in any of the 50 states. Officers must carry identification issued from the agency from which they are employed or retired while possessing the firearm. Retired members from states other than West Virginia must carry proof that they have met their respective state’s standards for training and qualification on the firearm which they carry within one year of the date that they are carrying the firearm. Certain other restrictions apply. Please click here to view the complete text of the new law.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    open carry is generally legal in WV at age 18. however, there are a couple of cities/towns (don't remember offhand which ones) that have grandfathered anti-OC ordinances. there might also be other restrictions beyond those you experience in PA.

you can prolly find more info by poking around at:

http://www.opencarry.org/wv.html

and

http://www.wvcdl.org/
    Charleston & Dunbar.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lancaster County)

So it looks like i can OC while hiking, or four whelein, ect... But also, while i'm driving. I guess if its in an OC holster its not considered concealed even if it's in my right side kinda out of view?
    Semper Fi

(Allegheny County)

regarding hiking (and, thus, potentially state parks), you might want to check out this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum56/210-3.html

pay particular attention to the posts by WVCDL.

(it seems that CC with a license is definitely fine, but OC without one is questionable in state parks and other DNR administered land--and, thus, potentially even in national forests as they follow state laws--in WV.)
    Last edited by LittleRedToyota; June 9th, 2009 at 04:30 PM.
    F*S=k

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    regarding hiking (and, thus, potentially state parks), you might want to check out this thread:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum56/210-3.html

pay particular attention to the posts by WVCDL.

(it seems that CC with a license is definitely fine, but OC without one is questionable in state parks and other DNR administered land--and, thus, potentially even in national forests as they follow state laws--in WV.)
    All my hiking would be on private land, that my uncle and friends own, so i think i'd be good there, the only issue i could see would be transporting. But since you can OC in a car i'm good. Too bad PA's laws are not the same. We need to lobby for the OC in the car part!!!!!!
    Semper Fi

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ironcowboy View Post
    So it looks like i can OC while hiking, or four whelein, ect... But also, while i'm driving.
    While I have the level of experience equivalent to jack squat with firearms issues in West Virginia, I would read this OpenCarry.org thread before you assume that “open carrying” in a vehicle without a West Virginia license/permit is good to go.

(Delaware County)

So it looks like i can OC while hiking, or four whelein, ect... But also, while i'm driving. I guess if its in an OC holster its not considered concealed even if it's in my right side kinda out of view?
    Perhaps you should read the whole paragraph in which I pointed to a sentence:

Q. Is it lawful to carry weapons (e.g. rifles, shotguns, and pistols) in my vehicle when I travel in West Virginia?

A. Individuals who possess a valid concealed carry permit may carry a concealed handgun in a motor vehicle for purpose of self defense only. West Virginia permits anyone who can lawfully possess a handgun to carry an unconcealed handgun. If you choose to carry an unconcealed handgun in your vehicle and are stopped by a law-enforcement officer, you must understand that that the weapon will immediately attract the attention of the police officer. The presence of the weapon may lead to action by the officer to ensure his or her safety such as the drawing of his or her weapon, ordering you from the vehicle, and/or performing a pat-down search. Weapons intended for hunting must be unloaded and in a case when transported in a vehicle. It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm

(Washington County)

All my hiking would be on private land, that my uncle and friends own, so i think i'd be good there, the only issue i could see would be transporting. But since you can OC in a car i'm good. Too bad PA's laws are not the same. We need to lobby for the OC in the car part!!!!!!
    You might want to re-think that assumption.

It is strongly recommended that, if you do not have a valid concealed carry permit, while traveling in a vehicle, that all firearms be unloaded and cased in a location in the vehicle that is not readily accessible to any of the occupants. Any ammunition should be stored in a separate location from the firearm.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast