Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Bucks County)

Default Walther PPK/S jamming problem...

I have a Smith and Wesson Walther PPK/S that likes to jam pretty frequently. It does one of two things. Either as the round is being chambered, it jams right away OR it chambers the round...but the slide does not return all of the way forward.

I think the problem is magazine related. I have less than 150 rounds through the gun so far. Is this something that will go away with time or is there some sort of way I can speed this process up? The problem is more common with the non finger extended magazine.

It sucks when I am trying to show off my gun to friends and it locks up.

-Zach

(Northumberland County)

Default Re: Walther PPK/S jamming problem...

theres been alot of complaints about the walther ppk/s in .380 caliber, problems with the trigger and sear.

(Philadelphia County)

What ammo did you use? Have you been diligent with cleaning it? My S&W PPK/S eats everything flawlessly except Aguila. Other than the recent recall, I haven't heard that these guns are problematic.

Al

(Bucks County)

I clean it after I shoot it. I use Remington and Magtech ammo...I also have some American Eagle that it doesn't really like feeding...although I admit I only tried it when the gun was first bought and the springs in the magazines were even stronger then. I might give that another go.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    What ammo did you use? Have you been diligent with cleaning it? My S&W PPK/S eats everything flawlessly except Aguila. Other than the recent recall, I haven't heard that these guns are problematic.

Al

York City Pharmaceutical District, Pennsylvania
    (York County)

My understanding with that model gun is the magazines are delicate. The ears bend and then it won't function properly.

Before you make any changes to the gun, get a new magazine and see if that corrects the problem.

I had a similar problem after 450 rounds or so. warranty long over so took it to the smith. He replaced several parts that he said were bad from the factory. runs good now.

(Armstrong County)

questions soon to come from me... i hope not too many!

Quote Originally Posted by TXDMERC73 View Post
    theres been alot of complaints about the walther ppk/s in .380 caliber, problems with the trigger and sear.
    Exactly the problem I had (after the warranty was up of course) and the sear was the problem. Best to get it to a good gun smith

(Bucks County)

I thought Smith and Wesson was taking them back regardless of year and warranty so long as it fit into their serial number bracket (which spanned something like 10 years of production) to repair the hammer/sear problems (which you can find videos of on Youtube).

While a lot of people I know had issues with Smith and Wesson taking forever to get their gun back, I had mine back exactly 1 month later. On the other hand, I also waited to send my gun back until they started sending guns back to other people.

I wasn't too pleased with the condition they sent the gun back to me in, but I assume at least the hammer/sear problem was fixed. Too bad they dinged up the frame (to mark the modified guns) on my limited edition PPK/S Aristocrat and left the feed ramp "polished" with all kinds of rough tool marks.

All of this is moot of course if you are talking about an Interarms PPK/S...but I guess if that was the case, you probably would not be even mentioning the warranty.

-Zach

Quote Originally Posted by indianjack View Post
    Exactly the problem I had (after the warranty was up of course) and the sear was the problem. Best to get it to a good gun smith

I think you're confusing this with the recall last year....
    I'd like to think any serial number that fell under the recall was taken off the shelves and returned to S&W for service.
    Sent mine back still under warranty (thankfully) 6 weeks ago.
    Back to my original question...Is this gun reliable? Ramp, Slide. Sear. Mags. Ammo. ....??? I like this gun. (when I get it back) ...but so far, all I've experienced and heard are finicky querks that will restrict it to the range. It's disappointing because I research and try before I buy...must've slipped on this one, as it's been toted as a great choice for concealed carry...maybe in size.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast