Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Walther PPK/S jamming problem...

How many rounds have you run through it to break it in? When I first bought mine, it wouldn't even chamber an American Eagle .380 round. Now it can at least accomplish that.

Also, when you pull the slide back, do you pull it all of the way back and just let go or do you follow it a little bit before letting go? If you follow it at all, it will not load.

-Zach

Thanks for responding. I pull it all the way back and let go. I guess I havent broken it in yet. I have only shot about 40 rounds thru it. How many rounds did you shot until it broke in? I just find it a bit frustrating that a gun as high quality as this would have to go thru a break in with jamming etc... Years and years ago (man I feel old) I bought a S&W Model 669 9mm and shot it brand new with no issues at all and has been my best shooter since the 80's and still works great today!

Joe

(Westmoreland County)

A friend of mine got rid of his because he couldn't resolve the problem. He even sent it back to the factory and it didn't do any good. His may have been a lemon, good luck with yours.
    Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.

(Bucks County)

I put about 300 rounds through it before it started to behave. I still don't trust it entirely, and with the scarcity of .380 ammo (plug the cost) it can be a bit of a turn off. Don't give up on it yet.

-Zach

(Berks County)

Thumbs up Re: Walther PPK/S jamming problem...

hi i have a S&W ppk/s 380 and it did this early on ...but after cleaning it good in between shooting it lots of times 2 -3- 4 -hundred rounds its funtioning like a well oiled clock...seems like ppk/s's are real tight from the factory...nice thing is you can tap the slide forward and D/A the trigger again if no bang...pretty nice feature i think!...BTW...mine is running real good now that its loosened up some...alittle snappy b/c of its size but all in all i'm very happy with it...keep in mind it has to be broken in
    Last edited by xtrmn8tr; May 18th, 2010 at 09:51 PM.

Angry Re: Walther PPK/S jamming problem...

Bought mine last week of June 2010!!!!
    After researching many different sites/forums I'm getting spooked!
    Put at least 3-400 rounds and tried diff. ammo still had problems with the slide not wanting to close all the way on first round.....have four mags...2 factory. Tried just putting 1,2,3,4 rounds in diff. mags. slide still stops 1/8" short. THIS GUN IS BROKEN IN! Sent to the factory thru' dealer July 17th
    ...still waiting.....S&W has a 2 week shut down in Aug. but keeps a skeleton crew(so they say)....SO what do you think??? Is S&W not telling us something? This is not a couple isolated problems. I bought this gun for the same reasons you all did....but what's up? Glad I sent it back right away....but am still spooked.

West Side of river from Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Sorry I didn't notice this thread earlier.....

I had similar problems with a Non-S&W PPK and found the following......

1. MUST have lock wrists. Limp even a little and you can have issues because of the blowback operation I assume. Solved the stovepipe issues.
    2. POLISH the feed ramp and throat. This solved ALL feed problems..

Hope this helps.

(Chester County)

id try these steps:

-clean the hell out of it
    -try a different mag
    -try different (more potent) ammo

Thanks for yor comments
    The thing is I "always" keep the gun super clean, and don't "limp wrist"
    My point and question is that a new gun that is broken in and cared for should require nothing! As I said earlier, I've tried all the above trouble shooting especially ammo/mags....If this ramp needs polishing after break-
    in, something's wrong! I accept maintainance as a routine, but polishing the ramp?? I think there's an issue, and would be interested in the number of returns to S&W. Bottom line...Is this gun RELIABLE?!

(Berks County)

Few points to add...

1. Check the extractor for any signs of wear, or rough edges. If spotted replace both extractor and its spring.

2. Change the recoil spring to a reduced power under the factory spec of 20 lbs. This link should help:

http://www.gunsprings.com/Semi-Auto%...1/mID70/dID305

While there get a matched reduced power hammer spring from wolf as well.

3. Inspect the magazines for wear or out of aligngment feed lips. Some aftermarket ppk/ppks magazines are little more than scrap metal

4. With the weapon empty and NO magazine in it, lubricate the slide rails and allow the slide to go forward a few times to see if the slide will loosen up.

5. When loading, pull the slide to the rear, and allow the slide to ride home on its own power, do not allow your hand to touch the slide while doing this.

6. Check the feed ramp and chamber area for machine marks, rough egdes or any type of burrs. If you have the skill and proper tools, lightly remove these issues, or have a good gunsmith do this.

7. If using hollow point ammo, find a brand that is as close to ball ammo as possible to reduce any feed related jams.

8. Clean the magazines of any grit, dirt or packing lube. Keep them clean of lube and dry.
    gotta love her ;)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast