Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Adams County)

Default Loaded or unloaded?

Ok. You guys helped me with how to carry and sit LOL!(IWB 4oclock) And now I need to ask, how many carry with a round in the chamber? I am worried about this because I have 2 very young children and don't want any accident. They are at that hight where every grab is waist high. I struggle with this because if the situation should arise, will I have time to pull the slide to load or not? And when is it apropriate to use my eqaulizer? Do I have a duty to interupt a situation I am not involved in, just a passer by or across the parking lot? Not a bunch of info out there on this so I need to know. Thank you.

(Tioga County)

Default Re: Loaded or unloaded?

most carry with one in the tube. mainly because if you need it your already behind the curve. The danger is already present. I would suggest a double or triple retention holster if your worried about children and wear the holster always. practice, practice PRACTICE!

Always carry one in the pipe. To not do so only means that you are carrying a very expensive rock around with you. It is your responsibility when you decide to carry a firearm to keep it safe at all times. Perhaps a small pistol safe located where you would be most likely to leave your pistol. I assume that is your concern.
    Coming home and unholstering your gun. It is also your responsibility to teach your children (when age appropriate)to be properly respectful of your guns.

As far as the legalities of using your gun. I will leave that issue up to others, as opinions vary greatly and the law is indeed vague with that respect.

Woops. If I could read I would have half a brain. In addition to the above. Since you carry IWB I would consider something with a thumb break although they can be hard to find. If it is a persistent issue it may be best to not wear the gun until your children are past that point. That is to say when your are home and the gun is exposed due to attire.
    Last edited by God's Country; May 20th, 2007 at 10:12 AM.
    FUCK BIDEN

Loaded when carrying. Chamber empty when in quick storage. I use a DAC Sportsafe to keep my pistol safe from my daughter. I use a Stack-on safe for general firearm storage. As for a child grabbing your pistol, try a Blackhawk SERPA double retention holster (OWB). It is meant to foil gun grabs, but is still quick and easy to use.

(Berks County)

An unloaded weapon is called a club.
    1/111th IN
    MAJ Doug Sloan; SGT Brahim Jeffcoat; SGT Francis Straub; CPL Genaro Pelligrini; SPC Kurt Krout; SPC John Kulick; PFC Nathaniel DeTample. You never let your country or your brothers down, we will never forget you.

(Northumberland County)

If you're not comfortable with carrying a round in the chamber, you either need a different gun (utilizing a different operating system) or you need more practice and familiarization with your gun.

(Allegheny County)

The reason you are currently paranoid is because you are new to it.

In order to be effective, the handgun must becarried with a chambered round, ready to go at a moment's notice.

I recommend contacting member TonyF and taking the One Day Handgun Clinic with plans on taking Basic tactical pistol down the road. These classes, by FIRE Institute, with answer most if not all your questions about MINDSET.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Pike County)

Smile If you are unconfortable about carrying...

You need more training and practice with your gun. I would suggest to you to read more about carrying, ask questions to people who have more experience with guns and carry. Practice at the range. Know your gun well. Read about the laws related to self defense. Make sure you always follow the basic gun safety rules.

(Allegheny County)

One in the tube here too.

as to the passerby. I see it as a civic duty to protect lives if the police are not around.

I have a primary rule. The Gun doesnt come out of the holster unless my life or someones life is in imminent danger.

oh and as to the kids grabbing, dont let the jump up on ya, yell at'em. it would be hard for them to get it out though at least in my IWB, it's very hard for anyone but the person who's pants the gun is in. My little cousins havent got it yet and i'm around them all the time, even when i'm OWB open carry they know they do NOT go near ANY gun period, or Uncle Tom will yell and slap their behinds.
    Last edited by Skuggi; May 20th, 2007 at 12:00 PM.

(York County)

Another thing you could consider is getting a pistol with a magazine disconnect (if the mag is out, the gun cannot fire).

Although I have had one semi-auto (a Star Firestar), I don't care for this feature. I have no kids in the house though.

I carry with one in the chamber. As soon as I get home, I eject the mag and rack the slide to empty the chamber. I don't keep any of the semi-autos loaded in the house (by loaded, I mean one in the chamber...there's always a mag in the gun or very close by). I depend on two revolvers and a shottie for the house guns.

I don't know of any semi-autos that have a magazine disconnect...but I only have 1911's, Glocks and a Kahr. I'm not too interested in looking into other brands (actually, Glocks are my favorites), but I am sure other PFOA members will suggest brands...or your gun dealer can.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast