Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sig 556 vs AR15

(Montgomery County)

Default Sig 556 vs AR15

Recently shot a buddies 556 and was not (at all) impressed. Call me old school, but I like the AR platform much better. I have not studied the SIG nor claim to be an expert here, just my initial impression. Other than being a piston system, what other advantages am I missing on the Sig 556?

Not trying to start a Sig/AR war, but I would like to hear others impressions as well.

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Sig 556 vs AR15

Well you asked...

I'm a "casual" AR fan, but I handled a SIG at a Gander Mtn - and found it to be "clunky" by comparison. I'd take one for dirt cheap just to have it, but not for what they are priced for.

Similarly, I once owned an FNC side-folder, it was uber-kewl, but was unimpressed with the way it handled, fired, etc. I thought my SP1 AR was far nicer, so I traded the FNC.

(Montgomery County)

Well for starters, the 556 weighs about 63 lbs. empty. So I guess one benefit is that you'll tone your muscles every time you pick it up.

(Philadelphia County)

I've heard the Sig 556 "Classic" is balanced a bit better. I've handled the ones with the quad rails and the "fish gill" forearm and they are very front-heavy. Unfortunately, the iron sights are an extra $200. The fake chinese aimpoint is standard.

http://www.sigsauer.com/Products/Sho...&productid=114

I think it looks a hell of a lot better than the first generation 556s.

(Montgomery County)

Talking Re: Sig 556 vs AR15

I have a SIG556 that I like very much, and the only customization I made was to replace the plastic crap handguard with a Samson rail system.

I have a few AR platform rifles, and they are each at varying degrees of nice, but just don't feel as good to me... The ergonomics of the Sig are more pleasing to me, and the crisp handling when firing is a cut above the rest.

The SIG556 feels smoother to me than all except the nicest AR variants, on par with the LWRC/POF/etc. It has similar high end features such as the hammer forged barrel and precision machined moving parts (BCG/etc).

The only thing I don't like about the SIG556 is that the brass ejects at about 2 o'clock - 15 feet across the firing line. Makes it difficult to recover brass at some [indoor] ranges.

I realize that I may be in the minority here by my opinion, but that's fine by me.
    Fred

(Philadelphia County)

Piston means less maintenance and assured reliability. This is not super critical if you're reasonably diligent with cleaning out your gun, but it's a nice thing to have. Simply turning the valve to the 2nd position (slanted) to allow for more gas to be released against the operating rod to "clean out" the gas system when it's all fouled up inside. Being front heavy, it reduces recoil as well. This boasts especially well for pistol version of the 556. The 556 barrel is 1:7 twist rate compared to standard commercial AR15 1:9. This can be an advantage for those who prefer shooting longer & heavier bullets while can still handle popular 55gr just fine.

With the SIG name attached to it, you have that comfort of "it's a SIG" for better quality and better customer service. Not a significant factor, but is significant for some people.

Al

(Montgomery County)

In the end, the SIG556 is a good quality gas-piston rifle. If you don't like it, buy something else. If you like it, get one.

It's not necessarily any better or worse than any other decent quality gas-piston rifle.
    Fred

(Westmoreland County)

The SIG is a fine weapon but IMHO, it's a glorified AK.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by mythaeus View Post
    Piston means less maintenance and assured reliability.
    a piston means assured reliability? i don't think so.

all else being equal, more moving parts generally means less reliability.

i don't know if the sig is more or less reliable than a quality AR (quality ARs are very reliable) as there are many other factors involved, but the idea that a piston is inherently more reliable than a DI (which uses fewer moving parts) i cannot see.
    F*S=k

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    The SIG is a fine weapon but IMHO, it's a glorified AK.
    Not really. Just because a gun is piston-operated doesn't make it an AK. That's like saying a piston-converted AR is an AK, because the similarity between the 556 and AK ends at the piston. It's a lot more front-heavy than any AK out there. The gas valve is adjustable. It does not accept AK mags, but AR mags. The caliber is 5.56, not 7.62x39. The sights are collapsible and the rails are Picatinny rails. The rear sight is on the back, not in the middle like an AK. The trigger feels nothing like an AK trigger. Most of all, it feels, shoots, and looks nothing like an AK.

Al

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast