Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default My little problem with OC

Ill start by pointing out that I am definately a supporter of OC. I have OCd all over Lancaster county without any problems or negative encounters. Some say I "look like a cop" so Im not sure if thats why no one seems interested in whats strapped to my side. Anyway, heres my only problem with OC. It seems to make people write long uninteresting posts about their day. "I stopped at WaWa for a cofee and some gas" or "then I rented a video from Blockbuster" are typical examples. I did many things today too but nothing worth writing about. I guess I read the posts too so I shouldnt say anything but there are so many irrelevant details I often lose interest. My advice people is to OC so often you stop thinking about it. Maybe then you'll stop writing about it until something interesting happens. This is just an opinion and I have nothing but respect for all forum members. Brian

(Monroe County)

Default Re: My little problem with OC

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Ill start by pointing out that I am definately a supporter of OC. I have OCd all over Lancaster county without any problems or negative encounters. Some say I "look like a cop" so Im not sure if thats why no one seems interested in whats strapped to my side. Anyway, heres my only problem with OC. It seems to make people write long uninteresting posts about their day. "I stopped at WaWa for a cofee and some gas" or "then I rented a video from Blockbuster" are typical examples. I did many things today too but nothing worth writing about. I guess I read the posts too so I shouldnt say anything but there are so many irrelevant details I often lose interest. My advice people is to OC so often you stop thinking about it. Maybe then you'll stop writing about it until something interesting happens. This is just an opinion and I have nothing but respect for all forum members. Brian
    LOL, dude you're missing the point. Many people new to OC, who were worried that they would be hassled for OC'ing, post about their experiences OC'ing, because nothing happened. Many of the OC "vets", do so to show the people on the fence that it is mostly a non-issue. There is a reason people do it, it isn't just to see themselves post

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty
    than to those attending too small a degree of it."~Thomas Jefferson, 1791
    Hobson fundraiser Remember SFN Read before you Open Carry

(Allegheny County)

I disagree. While any OP could include all the important details up front like a little summary, I think including the mundane details about where you got coffee or get lunch points out to people who don't OC, don't understand OC, or considering OC that it does allow you to go through your normal day.

It's talking to someone who's afraid to fly and only discussing the few plane issues that happen per year and forgetting to point our the thousands of trouble-free successful flights too.

While I don't need to know what coins made up your change when you got your coffee and morning paper, it is nice to know that the lady at the store grinned or didn't say anything or got a flier.

Boring posts are a good thing. They can help install confidence in those who are new to OC. However, I never post my experiences because nothing ever happens. As it should be.

(Allegheny County)

Ill start by pointing out that I am definately a supporter of OC. I have OCd all over Lancaster county without any problems or negative encounters. Some say I "look like a cop" so Im not sure if thats why no one seems interested in whats strapped to my side. Anyway, heres my only problem with OC. It seems to make people write long uninteresting posts about their day. "I stopped at WaWa for a cofee and some gas" or "then I rented a video from Blockbuster" are typical examples.
    I see exactly where you're going with this. We need more posts like that about CC or no carry at all to even it out. Say no more!
    This morning I woke up and proceeded to the kitchen under the relentless command of my cat who insisted I feed her before doing anything else. I saw her favorite cat food was empty, so I selected the next best choice and poured that. No incident, the cat didn't notice whether or not I was carrying a gun. Though I was in my underwear at the time so it wouldn't have been hard to spot.
    I then proceeded to the bathroom to do my usual morning business, walked out and got dressed. A little while later I laced up my steel toes and went outside to do some yard work, leaving my gun safely secured in the house. I began by cutting the grass, then I dug a hole roughly 2' around by 1' deep to plant some shrub. After that I encircled said shrub with bricks and filled the newly made circular bed with stones. Cars drove by the entire time, no incident. No one pulled over to say "Hey, why aren't you carrying a gun? Are you CCing? Do you have a permit to be unarmed?"
    Then I proceeded to fill the flower beds with mulch. At this point I was barely able to see without sweat getting in my eyes, so I tied a white torn shirt around my head like a ninja to keep myself from going blind. More cars drove by, no one stopped to enquire if I joined a gang or had a gat. After finishing up, still wearing the bandana, I sat on the porch to relax. The neighbors drove by, walked over, and talked for a while. At no time in the discussion did they ask about my gangsta-style sweat band or whether or not I had any weapons. I had an arsenal of shovels, rakes, and other deadly tools with me. They never asked if I had a permit to carry or use them. After this I went inside, showered, and took a nap.

(York County)

Ill start by pointing out that I am definately a supporter of OC. I have OCd all over Lancaster county without any problems or negative encounters. Some say I "look like a cop" so Im not sure if thats why no one seems interested in whats strapped to my side. Anyway, heres my only problem with OC. It seems to make people write long uninteresting posts about their day.
    "...uninteresting...", really. Funny, I seem to find them very interesting.

"I stopped at WaWa for a coffee and some gas" or "then I rented a video from Blockbuster" are typical examples. I did many things today too but nothing worth writing about.
    Sorry to hear it.

I guess I read the posts too so I shouldnt say anything but there are so many irrelevant details I often lose interest.
    ADHD... look into it. There is medication, and treatment. Seriously.

My advice people is to OC so often you stop thinking about it.
    Perhaps that is their plan, but everyone has to start somewhere. In many cases, folks are just starting out, and are posting about some of their initial experiences. In other cases, it may just be a way of maintaining a continuum of support or brotherhood among those who OC. It can also provide a reminder that OC really is legal and even OK.

Here's a thought to chew on... "Most people don't see the world as it is. Most people see the world as they are."

Maybe then you'll stop writing about it until something interesting happens.
    I was going to suggest you follow your own advice, however, I actually found your post to be quite... fascinating.

This is just an opinion and I have nothing but respect for all forum members. Brian

Really? Where did you hide it? Cause I don't see it anywhere. Oh, I can see your claim of respect, I just don't see any evidence of it.

Of course... this is all just my opinion.
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    I see exactly where you're going with this. We need more posts like that about CC or no carry at all to even it out. Say no more!
    This morning I woke up and proceeded to the kitchen under the relentless command of my cat who insisted I feed her before doing anything else. I saw her favorite cat food was empty, so I selected the next best choice and poured that. No incident, the cat didn't notice whether or not I was carrying a gun. Though I was in my underwear at the time so it wouldn't have been hard to spot.
    I then proceeded to the bathroom to do my usual morning business, walked out and got dressed. A little while later I laced up my steel toes and went outside to do some yard work, leaving my gun safely secured in the house. I began by cutting the grass, then I dug a hole roughly 2' around by 1' deep to plant some shrub. After that I encircled said shrub with bricks and filled the newly made circular bed with stones. Cars drove by the entire time, no incident. No one pulled over to say "Hey, why aren't you carrying a gun? Are you CCing? Do you have a permit to be unarmed?"
    Then I proceeded to fill the flower beds with mulch. At this point I was barely able to see without sweat getting in my eyes, so I tied a white torn shirt around my head like a ninja to keep myself from going blind. More cars drove by, no one stopped to enquire if I joined a gang or had a gat. After finishing up, still wearing the bandana, I sat on the porch to relax. The neighbors drove by, walked over, and talked for a while. At no time in the discussion did they ask about my gangsta-style sweat band or whether or not I had any weapons. I had an arsenal of shovels, rakes, and other deadly tools with me. They never asked if I had a permit to carry or use them. After this I went inside, showered, and took a nap.

(Allegheny County)

Do we need a Fairness Doctrine for the PAFOA forums?

(Lebanon County)

Bold is mine. JMO here but I think it's a bad idea to ever forget you're carrying whether it's OC or CC. I think we should always be aware of what we are doing, where things are on our person and around us/our surroundings etc. (situational awareness) Again, JMO.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by GuyMontag View Post
    Do we need a Fairness Doctrine for the PAFOA forums?

I believe a Fairness Doctrine and bripro would be overkill, don't you think?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast