Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Fayette County)

Default Bullet clearing the barrel

Good Afternoon All!

I recently loaded my first cartridges, in .38 Special, and have what may be an overly paranoid question....

I loaded on the lightest side of the the powder load and am curious- If the bullet doesn't have enough velocity to clear the barrel, is it instantly obvious to the shooter? I have this possibly irrational feat that I could fire a reload that doesn't clear the barrel, the fire again without realizing that fact and have a Kaboom!

This only comes to mind as the last time I was up at PMSC a gent next to me had a reload that didn't "make it through" and was attempting to push the bullet out.

Thanks!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Bullet clearing the barrel

On a semi-auto it is obvious if the slide is not cycled.

We had two of these on my Neos when we were shooting cheap ass Winchester rounds - squib loads didn't get the bullet out of the barrel - you can feel the difference if the load is not heavy enough. You can also feel no recoil or less recoil....

Revolver? someone else will have to give you suggestions.

Also keep an eye on your target - if no hole appears where you are aiming...
    FNX-9 Two-tone

(Northampton County)

It's going to make a different sound and it will be noticable - everyone will know. It will make a pop instead of a bang. It happened at my range a couple months ago with a revolver. Just make sure you're paying attention. While you are working up loads it's probably a good idea not to rapid fire.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post

We had two of these on my Neos when we were shooting cheap ass Winchester rounds - squib loads didn't get the bullet out of the barrel - you can feel the difference if the load is not heavy enough. You can also feel no recoil or less recoil....

Revolver? someone else will have to give you suggestions.

Also keep an eye on your target - if no hole appears where you are aiming...
    Definitely revolvers... hadn't really thought about the lack of recoil, Thanks!

I figured the no hole on the target part... but after a few rounds at 20+ yards, it's not as easy to find the "new" hole on paper.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by falcn View Post
    Unfortunately some people assume it's failure to extract with semi-auto. Especially if they have crapy guns that jam once in a while.

(Northampton County)

RuralTom, we posted at the same time. See my post above before your second post.

(Fayette County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    It's going to make a different sound and it will be noticable - everyone will know. It will make a pop instead of a bang. It happened at my range a couple months ago with a revolver. Just make sure you're paying attention. While you are working up loads it's probably a good idea not to rapid fire.
    Cool! I just wanted to make absolutely sure that it would be quite obvious in the event that it happens.

Thanks!

(Northampton County)

Since you are working up loads and already see a reason for concern I would follow falcn's advice as well and watch for bullet holes in the target.

Chambersburg PA (Pure Appalachia), Pennsylvania
    (Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by RuralTom View Post
    Good Afternoon All!

I recently loaded my first cartridges, in .38 Special, and have what may be an overly paranoid question....

I loaded on the lightest side of the the powder load and am curious- If the bullet doesn't have enough velocity to clear the barrel, is it instantly obvious to the shooter? I have this possibly irrational feat that I could fire a reload that doesn't clear the barrel, the fire again without realizing that fact and have a Kaboom!

This only comes to mind as the last time I was up at PMSC a gent next to me had a reload that didn't "make it through" and was attempting to push the bullet out.
    Thanks!
    (emphasis mine)

Go to your nearest Borg or to a welding supply house, and buy a length of 1/4" brass welding rod. Cut off a length greater than the length of your barrel and chamber together, and keep it in your range-bag or pistol box, along with a small brass or plastic hammer.

There will come a day when you will appreciate it.

Don't ask. I already confessed a while ago how I KNOW this to be a good idea.

Flash

(Susquehanna County)

With a revolver, you might consider yourself lucky if the bullet ends up stuck in the forcing cone. It will lock the gun right up and not allow the cylinder to turn at all. The cure for the condition is to use a wooden dowel or brass, nylon, aluminum or even steel rod and a hammer to drive the bullet back into the case. Just make sure you do not hammer the barrel crown!

The worse case is to have the bullet stuck anyplace in the barrel after completely exiting the chamber and getting past the forcing cone. All I can say about that is you must be mentally alert and feel the recoil, if you 'd feel recoil don't squeeze the trigger again!

Light loads are generally not a problem (2.5 grs of Bullseye under a 148 gr HBWC is an old time bullseye shooter's target load). The problem is loads with a primer only! Stay alert and make sure you can recognize the difference between "pop" and "bang"!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast