Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Armed forces discharge

I was discharged under other than honorable conditions in 1997 for unauthorized abscence. I want to get a permit for concealed carry due to my profession and the fact that I am routinely in "rough" areas of Lancaster city almost every night. Is my discharge going to prvent me from obtaining the permit, and if so, is there any type of appeal I can go through?

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: Armed forces discharge

Quote Originally Posted by fairway1 View Post
    I was discharged under other than honorable conditions in 1997 for unauthorized abscence. I want to get a permit for concealed carry due to my profession and the fact that I am routinely in "rough" areas of Lancaster city almost every night. Is my discharge going to prvent me from obtaining the permit, and if so, is there any type of appeal I can go through?
    Honorable, Medical and General Discharge, you're okay. Dishonorable Discharge no. Either way, you may be able to get your congressman to have the Armed Forces Committee (?) review your conditions for discharge and have it upgraded if not too egregious. In PA, Arlen Specter's office may be able to help.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Luzerne County)

Appeal to the branch that discharged you to have it upgraded to a general discharge. You'll have to contact JAG to find out the process.

(Berks County)

1. Obtain a copy of DD Form 293, "Application for the Review of Discharge or Dismissal from the Armed Forces of the United States."
    2. Complete personal information in Section 1.
    3. If you are making the application on behalf of another individual, complete Section 2.
    4. Indicate the action you wish the board to accomplish in Section 3.
    5. In section 4, indicate whether you wish to appear before the board in Washington D.C., wait for a traveling board, or have a records only review.
    6. If you are being represented by another person, complete section 5.
    7. Complete Section 6 if you elect not to be represented by counsel.
    8. List supporting documentation in Section 7.
    9. In Section 8, tell the board exactly why they should consider upgrading your discharge.
    10. Sign and Date the Form in Section 9.
    11. Mail the completed form to the address listed on the reverse side of the DD Form 293.

Tips:

1. Most of these requests are not approved. To maximize your chances, it is a good idea to be represented by an experienced attorney.
    2. If the Discharge is over 15 years old, you must apply for a Correction of Military Records.
    3. It may take several months for the board to review your application and make a decision.
    1/111th IN
    MAJ Doug Sloan; SGT Brahim Jeffcoat; SGT Francis Straub; CPL Genaro Pelligrini; SPC Kurt Krout; SPC John Kulick; PFC Nathaniel DeTample. You never let your country or your brothers down, we will never forget you.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Stryker_11a View Post
    1. Most of these requests are not approved. To maximize your chances, it is a good idea to be represented by an experienced attorney.
    2. If the Discharge is over 15 years old, you must apply for a Correction of Military Records.
    3. It may take several months for the board to review your application and make a decision.
    Thanks for clearing that up Stryker, Sir.
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Lancaster County)

Thank you for the info. I am obtaining the forms and I am going to pursue having my discharge revised. In the meantime, am I OK to purchase a hand gun and join a range to shoot at?

(Jefferson County)

I do believe you should be ok. I think the disqualifier is "Dishonorable Discharge", not a "Other Than Honorable Discharge".

I'd watch out for some of the Medical Discharges if they were due to mental defect. They may be held against you sorta like being 303'd.

(Dauphin County)

Cool Re: Armed forces discharge

Stryker needs a few vacation days!

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by knight0334 View Post
    I do believe you should be ok. I think the disqualifier is "Dishonorable Discharge", not a "Other Than Honorable Discharge".

I'd watch out for some of the Medical Discharges if they were due to mental defect. They may be held against you sorta like being 303'd.

If it is a General under Other Than Honorable circumstances you should be OK, if it is a straight Other Than Honorable or Dishonorable I think that you could have issues. IIRC most other thans, at least when I was in, were Generals under other than... and that should be OK since it considered a General.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Lancaster County)

I've been doing some research and there are 5 types of discharges.
    Honorable
    General under honorable
    Other than honorable
    Bad Conduct
    Dishonorable.

Since my seperation is oth and not dishonorable should I just go ahead and submit the app for the permit and see what happens? If I am not approved could I reapply at a later date?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast