Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default How to register an unregistered firearm.

Hey folks, newbie here. This is my first post and I've search the forums for this particular question before making this post. I apologize if I've missed something.

Ok, A friend of mine has a WWII hangun of some sort (no idea what kind) but it's definetely made after 1898 so I don't believe it will qualify as an antique. My question is what needs to be done in order for this firearm to be registered/legal or whatever needs to be done so that he won't get in any trouble. It's just something he keeps as a collectible. I am just not familiar with the procedure for this. Thanks in advance for any replies and my apologies for any typos and/or misconceptions.

Thanks.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by TheHighChild View Post
    My question is what needs to be done in order for this firearm to be registered/legal or whatever needs to be done so that he won't get in any trouble.
    I can't say for sure, but I don't believe he has to do anything, but I hope someone else on the forum that can say so with more certainty. Please check back to see what other people have to say.
    Dan P, Founder & President, Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Purchase a Forum SubscriptionBuy some PAFOA MerchandiseHelp PAFOA's Search Engine Ranking

(Northumberland County)

How did he come about this gun? If he bought it legally then nothing... If he bought it from someone face to face, he has already committed a crime in PA. He needs to get a hold of the seller and take it to a dealer to transfer ownership.

If he was out of state and brought it in when he moved here, then nothing. The state of PA keeps sales records. WHich is not the same as a registry. The caveat is that PA requires all person to person handgun sales to go through a dealer.

If he inherited the gun from his father then again nothing needs done.

Bottom line, most likely nothing needs done.

(Westmoreland County)

It was a gift from his girlfriends father. Not a sale and not inherited. Unfortunately, from what I read, there isn't anything that covers that. I could be mistaken. He was considering going to the range with me andafew friends but didn't want to get into any trouble over it.

Is there anywhere I can look or call to verify?

Thanks again for the helpful replies.
    "Because I'm an American." - MtnJack

(Northumberland County)

even if it was a gift from his girlfriends father, you still must go through a dealer to transfer ownership. Gifting only works within immediate family. Even though it is a gift he'll need to have the girlfriends father go to a dealer and transfer it to him and he'll need to pay whatever the transfer fee is. Around here its something like $20-25

(Allegheny County)

I believe Island Firearms on Neville Island with do it for around 25.00. Also, Federal Firearems outside of Bridgville will do transfers as well.

(Westmoreland County)

There's a place called Powell's in Penn Hills that does it for $5 (State Min, I believe). As for my friends handgun, not sure if the father in law is dead or not. I'll try and check up on that and see where to go from there. Thanks for the advice guys.

(Northumberland County)

If he's married to the girl, and the father in law is dead, then there should be no worries, as the gun can pass down to her and then it's community property, previously you said that it was his girlfriend's dad, I assumed they weren't married.

But if the old guy is alive it's best just to do the transfer.

(Allegheny County)

$5.00, wow, that for that tip!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by 41 Redhawk View Post
    $5.00, wow, that for that tip!
    He's got guns pretty cheap too. Better prices that I was able to find elsewhere, def worth checking out. I paid around 425 for my XD-40. Being a noob, I can't say whether that's really good or not but it's $100 better than everything else I found.

The owner, J Powell (Jim or Joe), is an older guy but knows his stuff. However, he's a politics talker. Maybe it's just me but I'd rather not get into politics at a Guns & Ammo store while pending approval for purchase...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast