Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Chester County)

Default Applying for permit - can they call your home?

My brother just turned 21 and went to apply for his permit. My brother said he went to school with the son of the guy that was in there taking the applications. The conversation between them was friendly; how are you, my son is doing well, I wouldn't let him have a gun or permit, etc.

Later that night, he asked me if I had told our mom about his application, to which I said no (because I didn't - she objects to mine). He said that she asked if he applied for a permit to carry.

He gave his personal cell phone number and permanent address (our parents' address, as he lives in Pittsburgh for school) on the application. Nowhere on it was our parents' home phone number.

Can they do that? I applied for my permit in Feb/March, but should that be a "red flag" or anything like that? I don't see how they can call unless this guy asked for my brother and my brother wasn't home, and said something like "this is the Chester County Sherriff's office, need info on this application for a permit to carry" or my mom asked 'in what regards do you need to speak with him' for taking a message. But then again, our home phone number was not listed!

It just doesn't really seem right to me because a) he's 21, and b) the phone number was not listed for the "permanent" address.

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Applying for permit - can they call your home?

its a contact number.
    All I have is a cell phone, since I dont see the point in having a landline AND a cellphone at the same time...it's double the cash for no reason...especially when I have broadband inernet.

its still his direct contact number right?

they CAN spend the time looking up a number attached to the address listed, but it's unlikely they will, since the person applying actually WANTS to be contacted for application issues, they will just call the phone number listed.

I use my cell phone number on my NFA paperwork, they called me on my cell, not a problem.
    "Oderint Dum Metuant" - BMFH

"Tact is for people not witty enough to use sarcasm"

Note: any whingeing crazy that hits my PM inbox will be deleted without reply

(Northampton County)

The Sheriffs Department can call your home. I am not sure why they would officially want to do that because at age 21 one does not need parental permission for a LTC. That said, it is possible someone in that office new someone or knew your mother and called them "unofficially".
    My guess is someone saw you parking and or entering the building. And what else would someone be there for. Just a guess.

Look at it this way. If you or your brother were carrying and needed to either branish your gun or actually use it, you can bet your mother would know and probably so would the whole town.

You and your brother should be well aware of the law and the restricted legal use to defend oneself or others. Simply, the LTC holder needs to face a lethal threat before using a weapon. Otherwise the LTC holder most likely would face charges. Even in a case of a shooting the LTC holder could and probably would face civil action (lawsuit). Be careful.

(Delaware County)

They do a background investigation. They can call whomever they please and ask about your character. In Delco they always call my supervisor at work, the contacts I list and a couple of times a Deputy has come out in person and interviewed my neighbors.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    They do a background investigation. They can call whomever they please and ask about your character. In Delco they always call my supervisor at work, the contacts I list and a couple of times a Deputy has come out in person and interviewed my neighbors.
    Quoted For Truth.

Any reasonable investigation into your character is perfectly legal and appropriate.
    The material presented herein is for informational purposes only, is not guaranteed to be correct, complete, or up to date, does not constitute legal advice and does not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should NOT act or rely on any information in this post or e-mail without seeking the advice of an attorney YOU have retained.

In plain English, while I am an attorney, I'm NOT your attorney, and I'm NOT giving you legal advice.

(Delaware County)

In DelCo the local police department showed up at my house to ask me a few questions and verify my place of residence. I also only listed a cell phone number on my application because I do not have a land line. I received my permit within the 45 day period.

(Allegheny County)

I didnt get any calls, or my references for that matter, as long as your reference wasnt in your house, which they dont take anyway. are you sure mom wasnt just being logical, "ok, other son just turned 21 was out with brother hmm".

My aunt objects to guns to an extent, she loved that I went out to the shoot to do something fun but only knows about my shotgun. My uncle on the other hand is ex military and will take my aunts side, but really doesnt care, he knows about my shotgun and AK, neither know about my handgun, my uncle I think has guessed but keeps his mouth shut.

also note: since my mom died when i was 13 I've lived in the basement apartment of my aunt and uncles place rent free so thats why i've cared. I told them I was getting my LTCF just to exercise my right and the "Free" background check, since in my field I just wanted to be sure none of the little stuff I've done when a kid would show up. (Network Security/Computer Forensics). I knew it wouldnt but it covered my aunt who doesnt think to much into things.

(Erie County)

My home has never been called, nor have my references in the orginal CCL and the renewal.

I always thought it was because I am on the grid with the FBI & DOD for civilian security clearences and such. Printed many times over. DSS are the ones that will really climb up your butt ! Many times my neigbors have told me the FBI or DSS visited us today asking about you regarding my annual Top Secret Clearence review.

Glad I am out of that business now....
    Last edited by tourrider; May 21st, 2007 at 04:37 PM.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by tourrider View Post
    My home has never been called, nor have my references in the orginal CCL and the renewal.

I always thought it was because I am on the grid with the FBI & DOD for civilian security clearences and such. Printed many times over. DSS are the ones that will really limb up your butt ! Many times my neigbors have told me the FBI or DSS visited us today asking about you regarding my annual Top Secret Clearence review.

Glad I am out of that business now....
    you know thats the reason I'm not sure if I'd like a government job like that.