Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Video makes me want to carry larger caliber

I am not a caliber freak/snob by any means. I think a 22lr can be an effective round.

But after seeing this video (sorry if it's been posted before, haven't seen it around) where this poor cop gets pounded by a boxer he's trying to arrest even after shooting him in the belly, I've moved up from a Tomcat Inox .32 in my front shorts pocket to the my Kahr PM9. (even though it was a 9mm that bounced off Bubba's belly).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20Y2JqVxv_M

I mean I'm not big on the whole hopped up on drugs you-need-a-big-caliber argument, but sheist, if your round can't stop forward progression...the perp had just a t-shirt on. Gunj jammed, too, but sheit I'd like to think that a round of HST would show a fecker down...cop had serious onions and didn't quit. Video may be too violent for some.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Video makes me want to carry larger caliber

I dont think a bigger caliber would have mattered in this situation of the general carry class of cartridges. Probably even a magnum or hunting cartridge wouldn't have mattered either.

A spinal or head shot, or filling him with enough holes to make him bleed out entirely faster was probably the only thing going to stop that guy hell bent on violence.

(Schuylkill County)

I too dont think a bigger caliber would have helped this guy was getting pissed everytime the officer did something,
    He hit this guy with pepper spray then shot him then hit him repeatedly with the fire arm.
    this is just a case of needing your gun to not jame all the officer could have done was empty his firearm and hope it helped.
    Kudos for the officer not giving up.

(Chester County)

I think a bigger round would have certainly helped in the sense that this guy would have had no choice about whether or not he wanted to continue his rampage. While a 9mm may have been a flesh would if it missed some vital organs, I find it hard to believe that a .357 wouldn't have forced compliance after the BG went into shock.

(Delaware County)

The cop shot him in the belly.. what rule was it that it should have made the boxer drop like a stone?

.22 thru .45 to the stomach when you are pumped up with adrenalan is NOT a shot to a central nervous system that would stop him. You are just waiting for him to bleed out at that point.

While a gut shot would cause most people to pause.. this guy was pretty used to taking hits and keep going.

(York County)

I couldnt watch the video because my computer is being a prick right now but...

A belly shot can be very effective in stopping someone, but it depends on the area of the belly you hit. For example if you hit the upper part of the belly and to the left or right a bit, theres a great potential for the bullet to hit the bottom section of the lungs. A bullet to the lungs causes blood to flow into the lungs, which in turn seriously inhibits the ability to breath, which will stop an attacker pretty damn fast, regardless if hes a boxer or not.

But i agree, i dont think the caliber would of mattered, i think the shot placement was and is more important.

By the way, i also own a Kahr PM9...they are awesome little guns, fit almost anywhere, well made, and eat any ammo you feed em.
    Last edited by WhiteShadow; June 5th, 2009 at 05:46 PM.
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Northumberland County)

I saw a video during basic training where an officer pulled over someone, who eventually pulled a gun on him. The officer (somewhere down south) put 5 of 6 rounds of .357 into center mass of this guy, who fell down and shot the cop with a .22. The round went under his armpit, through the opening in his vest, and lodged in his heart. He died moments later.

The guy with the 5 .357 slugs in his chest lived.

Figure that one out.
    "The rifle is the weapon of democracy. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military. The hired servants of our rulers. Only the government-and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws." (Edward Abbey, "The Right to Arms," Abbey's Road [New York, 1979])
    I have my rifle. Do you?

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoomStick View Post
    I find it hard to believe that a .357 wouldn't have forced compliance after the BG went into shock.
    there is at least one video floating around the internet somewhere of a police officer shooting a guy (and getting good torso hits) with many rounds of .357mag and the guy did not stop. (i think the officer ended up being killed, unfortunately.)

all handguns are piss poor manstoppers. unless you get a CNS (i.e., lucky) hit, if the guy ignores the psychological aspects, he can keep going until he bleeds out...which, even if that only takes 15 seconds, is plenty enough time to kill you.

i would personally rather have 9mm or above (with modern bullets, imho, there is not a lot of difference between 9mm, .40, .45, .357, etc. etc.), but also realize that no handgun round is likely the actually physically stop a bad guy right now (again, unless you get a lucky CNS hit). of course, a lot of people psychologically stop upon being shot with anything.

imho, once you reach a certain threshold (which i believe to be 9mm) being able to quickly and accurately place follow-up shots is more important than a larger caliber.
    F*S=k

Shot placement is key.. But then again 99% of attackers will turn tail and run at the first sight or shot of a gun regardless of the caliber.... and if you don’t believe me, I dare you to charge me when I have a .22
    ΑΣΦ

(Northampton County)

If that cop had a little training in hand to hand he would have done better.

40 to 45...cop had open shot at perps knees & balls.
    46...cop was in position for a takedown...within inches of perp's knee/leg.
    47 to 53...cop was in position for kicks or minor joint locks or perhaps takedown.

I've never seen even a large person with muscles over his eyes throat or knees.

I hope the perp does every bit of his time.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast