Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Glock 29-10mm vs. my current 40 S&W?????

I know the whole thing over 10mm and, 40 S&W has been beaten to death but, I recently handled a Glock 29. I am used to wider gripped guns and, currently shoot the heck out of a Ruger P91DC in 40 S&W and, it does well. I have a military background and, know that the govt. use of this round prooved that it over penetrated and, there has been much to do over rounds being lightened up to curb this. I have had folks try to steer me away from this caliber as most places don't carry much in ammo and, the selection of guns as far as frames go is limited. I am looking for opinions from folks who shoot this caliber and--PLEASE--I am not trying to get a war started over one caliber verses another. Why is it that this caliber has just not taken off??? Seems that all I hear is about 9mm, 40 S&W, and, 45 ACP. Just no talk much about the 10mm--Why is that???????????

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Glock 29-10mm vs. my current 40 S&W?????

The reason it isn't as popular is the following:
    The ammo is expensive. There are much better options already in place which have been tried and true for some time.

Same reason .50AE isn't as popular as 9mm/.40/.45/38spl/.357mag.

10mm is the big brother of the .357 sig basically... an answer to a question no one asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ophidian View Post
    The reason it isn't as popular is the following:
    The ammo is expensive. There are much better options already in place which have been tried and true for some time.

Same reason .50AE isn't as popular as 9mm/.40/.45/38spl/.357mag.

10mm is the big brother of the .357 sig basically... an answer to a question no one asked.
    Wouldn't you consider the 10mm to be the big brother of the .40 S&W?

(Philadelphia County)

I own the Glock 29 and have no problems finding ammo... shure you might not be able to get it at Wall-Mart or places like that but any gun shop should have a selection of it and theres always the internet, gun shows, etc. And the price, maby a couple more bucks but nothing to get a second job about. One of the reasons I got the 10 mm is BECAUSE everybody has a 9mm, 45, 357, 40.....and it is one mean, mean round!

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Exactly correct the 10mm is the big brother to the .40S&W from what i have seen and read FBI canned the Round for Recoil and hard followup shots whitch kinda run hand in hand. If you are not Recoil sensitive like me GO FOR THE 10MM it ROCKS!!!!! I have shot the 10mm glock and like it alot because of the grip size mag compacity its like a .40 Magnum it is pricey a lil to shoot but it is almost as nasty a round as a .357Sig round witch i am in love with as far as balistics go..

GET THE 10mm
    Does this look like my Care Face.....

(Bucks County)

I have a G29 and a G20. For sure the 10mm ROCKS! It's not a hard caliber to learn to shoot either. Full power loads from Doubletap have more recoil than a standard .45 ACP but no where near a hot .41 or .44 mag. With a little practice, I think just about anyone can shoot a 10mm as well as they could a .45 ACP.

Ammo is available if you look around and I think it's not so much a question of availability but of price. Now I haven't bought a box of factory 10mm FMJ's in many years because I reload, but I remember ammo being slightly more expensive than .45 ACP. I would think factory 10mm ammo prices would be outrageous now just because of what I remember paying back in the day.

The 10mm has a cult following and my experience says either you love it or are totally indifferent because not many people have shot one that don't own one. Lots of guys have asked to put a mag or two through mine when I was shooting at the range and most of them were surprised on how easy it was to shoot. I think people who haven't shot a 10mm are expecting the worst because of everything that's out there on the net.

I have three 10mm's and I've shot just about every 10mm out there. Glock makes the best 10mm's in my not so humble opinion, which is why I have one of each size. Get the G29 and shoot the hell out of it.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    No, because .40 cal serves a purpose, whereas the 10mm doesn't.

Count me a member of the 10mm Brotherhood. The recoil is a non-entity as far as being a deterrent. The only thing that will hurt is the price depending on what you are used to. Coming from regularly buying 44 mag I thought I was being fiscally responsible moving to only ~$25 a box. Reloading makes this obsolete and allows people to really enjoy the true 10mm. Even still Doubletap makes amazing ammo that does the round proud and Georgia Arms sells bulk at a good price. The rationale I always used in these situations was that one should shoot with the largest round that they can shoot well and often with. If for you that is the 10mm go for it. If you want that to be the 10mm, the round is more than willing to teach you and make you love it. The 40 SW is a great round and so is the 10mm so its a win-win in either outcome.

(Franklin County)

I believe Ron Hood, of survival.com, carries a G29 in bear/cat country. The 10mm round is quite large and delivers a deep, wide hole. Obviously, it does this with some recoil. I've never been worried about recoil from a pistol, certainly not a nice feeling Glock, so it's not that big of a deal. Some will say overkill, some will say carry the .454 Casull. If you enjoy shooting a 10mm, start reloading or win the lottery.

My advise to ALL, however, is to purchase a few GREAT handguns, a few GREAT rifles, and then start getting your ammo stockpiled!

(Beaver County)

Thumbs up Re: Glock 29-10mm vs. my current 40 S&W?????

The 10mm is one of my favorite rounds. Why? Accurate and hard hitting, used by Denmark's elite Sirius Patrol for defense against polar bears Own 3 different guns chambered for it: Kimber Stainless Target, Glock 20, and a S&W 610.

The Kimber is my CCW, the Glock is my SHTF, the 610 is for hunting & SHTF. I also have two .40 Glocks. The .40 is very popular in LE circles (ammo availability for re-supply) and with armed civilians wanting a different choice than 9mm, .45, .357SIG, etc.

Like shooting the .40? Buy the Glock 29 AND a .40 conversion barrel from Lone Wolf Distributors. "Problem" solved. I took the same approach when I bought my Glock 20. The barrel runs about $115. No need to take any further action other than going to the range and having other shooters ask: "Hey buddy, what the hell kind of hand cannon are you shooting?"

Oh, I almost forgot! The Glock 20 was the first Glock I ever fired AND the first experience with the 10mm, so they will always have a place in my heart. Good luck in your quest sir!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast